Had an alcoholic parent?

Discussion in 'General' started by Reflection Eternal, Oct 5, 2008.

1. My parents divorced before I established a working memory, I grew up living with my mom. My dad was the alcoholic in the equation, he recently did a stint in jail for a couple months because he got his third DUI. Drinking beer has always been a daily affair for him but he never has admitted he has a problem. I remember when I was a kid he would ask me to hand him a beer while he was driving, I never thought twice about it he always seemed normal. At one point he was actually mixing V8 with beer which of course when I think about it today I realize is not only gross but wicked stupid to do considering it shows how far he would go to drink and drive without worrying about having something that looks like an open container.

Anyway I'm curious to see if these apply to anyone else. I don't agree with all of them, but numbers: 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 seem to hold true for me. I still haven't decided if this whole "adult children" angle, which is basically trying to say children of alcoholics never fully developed, is bullshit or not. So if you fit the bill help me find out, post which of these are true for you.

From http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/adult/a/aa073097.htm

2. Nope. My parents are soft cocks what dont get drunk. I myself drink every weekend.

3. Unfortunately, both of my parents are alcoholics.

4. My dad was an alcoholic and some of those sentences are me right on the money. Wow. Like you, my parents divorced early and I grew up with my mom. I was only six. He still sends me random ass texts when he's drunk.

5. My dad had both of his parents die when he was a teenager from liver failure because of alcohol. Needless to say both of my parents are alcoholics and sadly that list is pretty much spot on.

6. yeah my pops was an alcoholic but he quit a few years ago.. alcoholism is in my blood, everyone in my family has a problem with it. and v8 with beer ain't too bad, it's kinda like clamato beer.

7. Where's the both option ?

The only one I could say I might possibly fit under is #12, except for the undeservedly part.

8. both parents where alcoholics and divorced pretty early. seems to be a theme

i'm probably an alcoholic too, but i'm still young so i'm just partying my ass off destroying my liver hardcore :)

but its all fun for now :p

9. My dad was an alcoholic, parents got divorced and i went with my mom.
    He still drinks alot probably every day but at least hes not getting shitfaced anymore.

10. I am thankful everyday that I don't particularly care for the taste of alcohol or the feeling of being drunk. Otherwise I'd probably end up like my dad.

11. imo each on of those questions are to general to be used as a claim like that..

many people have those thoughts.. i dont have alcoholic parents but i fit some of those.

12. Yes.
    He would never get drunk but he would drink like 8 beers a day and have his mini fridge stocked with like 30 beers.

13. My mom was a crazy alcoholic. Back in the '90s, she was put in the hospital for a drinking related problem and was told she would be ok if she never drank again. Unfortunately, she kept drinking and in early 2001 her liver failed and ultimately she ended up dying. I was in 4th grade at the time so I can remember pretty well. She died only a few days before my birthday, and I remember bawling my eyes out hysterically, it was so rough.

I really wish I could've grown up with my mom, but my dad and her divorced and she ended up in Georgia. From what I remember, she was cool as shit, funny, and just a great person to be around. But when she drank, she would become a nasty person. To bad she enjoyed alcohol a little too much.

It seems whenever anyone in my family is drunk, they get annoying as hell and I can't stand them, especially my aunt. I love my aunt but when she's drunk, it's a whole different story. She too has a problem, but I'm sure she'll keep drinking despite the fact that it makes her look and sound like shit, although I don't think she realizes how badly she acts.

As for me, I like the buzz during social occasions, however, I'd much rather smoke because I've witnessed the horrible effects of alcohol and what it can do to people. I just realized I'm one of the only people in my family who doesn't drink. IMO, fuck alcohol

14. My dad was / still is an alcholic. I hadly talk to him any more. Use to be really abusive when i was a kid, Use to beat us ( me and my brothers ) when we where young. Even if we'd try to run he'd run after us. Remember getting kicked down the stairs by him when i was about 7. Don't really think of him as family any more, When we got too old for him to hit beacuse he knew he'd get stomped he'd start with the mind tricks.

15. My mom is. Alot of those things about the adult children of alcoholics are very true with me. Thats fucking crazy.

16. Both my parents and their parents and their parents.
    I think many of those things in the list are relatively true.
    I only drink in moderation: 1-2 drinks every few days.
    Cannabis keeps me from drinking more.

17. It runs in my family, most members of the family are or have been alcoholics. My dad used to drink but stopped for the most part after my brother and I were born.

18. My dad is. But honesty it doesn't affect his or our lives to a great extent. Hes still a very friendly, outgoing, fun guy. Hes not one that gets smashed all day either, hes very productive, but assumes he can have four or five drinks when he gets home.

19. The yes to no ratio in this thread is highly disturbing.

20. yes. perhaps not an alcoholic as bad as some peoples on here, but she used to depend emotionally on alcohol mostly wine, and would drink most nights and get drunk and pass out on the floor. i remember coming home from a party, funnily enough sober, and she was just laying on the kitchen floor with an empty wine bottle next to her

its a sickening image

but shes practically a saint now as far as how much shes got it under controll. shell have a glass ofwine some evenings but i cant remember the last time she was drunk

bear in mind i only moved out a few months ago. so ive lived with her for like 18 or 19 years ad she got really bad when i was around 14 for about 3 years. so she's been "clean"... well definately within the last year. before that there were still some on and off patches but other than that shes been great