h2o?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by blknazn, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hydrogen dioxide or dihydrogen monoxide? i remember it being hydrogen dioxide but lately ive noticed the more recent textbooks(and students) claiming its dihydrogen monoxide. what is it you guys

2. Its dihydrogen monoxide, Im pretty sure.

3. yeah, its dihydrogen monoxide.

4. Pretty sure its water

5. lol

The dihydrogen monoxide hoax involves the use of an unfamiliar name for water, then listing some negative effects of water, then asking individuals to help control the seemingly dangerous substance. The hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific knowledge and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1] "Dihydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DHMO", is a name for water that is consistent with chemical nomenclature, but that is almost never used.
    A popular version of the hoax was created by Eric Lechner, Lars Norpchen and Matthew Kaufman, housemates while attending UC Santa Cruz in 1990,[2] revised by Craig Jackson in 1994,[3] and brought to widespread public attention in 1997 when Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project, titled "How Gullible Are We?"[4]
    "Dihydrogen monoxide" may sound dangerous to those with a limited knowledge of chemistry or who hold to an ideal of a "chemical-free" life (chemophobia).[4] The only familiar common usage of the term "monoxide" is in the highly poisonous gas "carbon monoxide", and the simplified term "monoxide poisoning" is commonly used to refer to poisoning by this colorless and odorless substance.[5] Health officials frequently advise the purchase of carbon monoxide detectors to protect against this poison, which is sometimes referred to simply as "monoxide".

6. i know h20 is water... more replies please i want to hear everyones answers.

7. i dont think H(2O) is possible chemically. I think H2O2 is actually something...

8. is water hydrogen dioxide or dihydrogen monoxide?

9. wtf i thought u got ur answer. water is 2 hydrogens and an oxygen.
    [​IMG]

10. no that does not answer it. i already know what its made up of but what is it called to everyone,hydrogen dioxide or dihydrogen monoxide. im gathering everyones responses. i just want to know what everyone was told. what were you taught or learned

11. There are two hydrogen and one oxygen therefore it is dihydrogen monoxide.

12. yes "di" means 2.
    therefore dihydrogen

but i think theres something wrong with saying dihydrogen monoxygen.

13. Exactly, it is incorrect. When naming chemical compounds single atom anions usually have the "-ide" suffix. The "mono" in monoxide isn't absolutely necessary too, it could simply be "dihydrogen oxide".

14. yes it makes sense but i recall being taught that it fell under some weird naming rule that it wasnt named the same and as easily as all the other naming methods. thats how it became known to me as hydrogen dioxide. its just within the last couple years ive noticed all of a sudden its dihydrogen monoxide...

15. it was never hydrogen dioxide. water is dihydrogen (mon)oxide. the (mon) is in parentheses because, as pointed out earlier, the prefix is not necessary.

dihydrogen dioxide is H2O2 which is also commonly called hydrogen peroxide, this is where youre mixed up in my opinion.

16. well if you were taught hydrogen dioxide then your teacher was a retard, but thats not surprising since 70%~ of science teachers in america don't even have a degree in the subject they are teaching.

you could probably work this one out yourself, just think of carbon dioxide which is co2 so 1 carbon 2 oxygen, its h2o so 2 hydrogen 1 oxygen so dihydrogen monoxide

17. i dont even live in america so your judgement about my teacher is wrong. ive checked multiple textbooks they either dont tell me or the dont tell me. ive checked the internet and that led me to that hoax a while back which isnt even credible i mean cmon its on wikipedia. i couldve wrote that if i wanted to. w.e

18. i think i figured it out. this dihydrogen monoxide was bad( supposed hoax) so they flood the net with the ban of hydrogen dioxide to bring bad attention to water. and surface this new water. dihydrogen monoxide. making us all drink it thinking its water. i mean its not that far out. they say our water is clean just because its clear. what about the flouride and salts in our supposedly clean water bottles? well i know the salts make you want more and well the floouroide kills AND stacks up. i think i figured it out. thanks for your help you guys

19. lol, or easier explanation: you remembered your science class incorrectly, happens to the best of us, particularly stoners.

20. LOL possibly