H20

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by blknazn, Sep 16, 2009.

1. what is the real name of h20. dihydrogen monoxide or hydrogen dioxide, i want how everyone calls it.. not by the schools way or whatever cuz i remember it as hydrogen dioxide not dihydrogen monoxide

2. someone help

3. I think the correct way to say it would be dihydrogen monoxide because theres two H atoms and one oxygen.

4. yea thats by looking at it iuno fuck. thats not what i was hearing in chem class. all of a sudden im hearing differently lol i took this class over a year ago but wtf i couldve sworn it was hydrogen dioxide and water was some kinda name exception rule

5. According to wikipedia:

Dihydrogen monoxide
    Oxidane
    Hydroxylic acid
    Hydrogen Hydroxide

Take your pick, or just drink it :)

6. lol thx i try not to drink it as much as possible well regular straight water even though its full of all types of shit nowadays im not tryna kill myself by keepin myself alive and hydrated lol

7. iT IS Dihydrogen Monoxide.

FYI....

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

8. Reminds me, there was a Penn and Teller episode about these environmental nutcases, basically exposing them as know-nothing anti-capitalists, guising as caring for the environment.

Anyhow, they (a stooge for Penn and Teller) ran a petition at one of these environmentalist rallies, asking people sign up for a ban on dihydrogen monoxide, since it was a chemical that seeped all through the environment and in certain doses could be straight up leathal.

All signed the petition :D

9. yea i heard that whole dhmo was a hoax but that kinda makes it true to all the shit in the water..definately not the water back in the day that doesnt fuck you up