GZ's Closet Grow Guide and Tips

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by godzero1232004, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Before I post this guide, Just know that I have built for others several maybe even hundreds of grow stations, both hydroponic and traditional, outdoor and indoor,

This is a Guide for a Simple Closet Grow

So first is your Supplies
    Most important is your light, depending on how many plants your gonna grow, I would say a Minimum of 50 watts for 2 plants at least (more wattage is always good since plants use the light to feed but you don't want to over do it since more lights means more heat but we'll cover temperature later down the line) There are a variety of lights you can choose from each type has its advantages and disadvantages,

HPS or High Pressure Sodium Lights are the favorite method of most people, they over great coverage and intensity of light as well as the proper spectrum (the light will shine a pink or amber color) and can be very good for all stages of growth, but It has a large and bulky set up, and it produces a large amount of heat and takes a decent amount of power to keep on for 24 hours.(this use a High Intensity Discharge Lamp also known as HID)

MH or Metal Halide lights are very similar to High pressure Sodium lights but are white and bluish but use the same type of lamp and has the same advantages and disadvantages at least to my knowledge(this uses a High Intensity Discharge Lamp also know as HID)

CFL or Condensed Fluorescent Light these lights are the best way to grow cheap, a good set up would be three 26 watt lights together for growing, they are very consumer friendly and you can by sockets that hang, or tables lamps that are flexible. The heat emission isn't close to as bad as any of the High Intensity Discharge Lamp lights, but CFLs don't give off a complete spectrum and you need at least 3 of them for one plant, CFLs are a good cheap way but I personally think that CFLs are only good as support lights for other kinds of main lights, but that is just me, many many people use just CFLs for their grows and have had excellent yields

Fluorescent light these lights are another affordable way to grow, can range from any wattage really, these lights have little heat emission and are great for growing, they have bulbs that come in full spectrums that are affordable and have a decent amount of light coverage, the disadvantage to fluorescent is that the light itself is very spread out and isn't always concentrated enough for a plant so alot of the times people have CFL back ups or use Fluorescent as back ups.

LED or Light Emitting Diode Lights are very effective lights as well, some people would say that they could rival the HID lights with less wattage as well, These lights can come in concentrated spectrum to help certain stages of growth, many come with red blue lights for veg and flowering stages, as well as their own cooling system, therefore the heat emission is next to nothing and you can grow more plants with one LED light then with Fluorescent or CFL, the disadvantages are, they aren't as good for flowering as HID lamps nor are they as cheap to buy as Fluorescent or CFL, LED lights are still considered experimental and people are still a little apprehensive towards them but I believe that they are a great type of light to have.

Now that you know what kinds of lights are out there and have chosen you need to know how to use them correctly.

For HID lights I would recommend keeping them at least a foot away from your plants to prevent burning them, and adjust height as necessary, for CFL, LED, and Fluorescent you can keep the light pretty close to the plant at least inches away make sure that the plants are not touching the bulbs at any time.

For your plants your gonna need at least 2000 lumen for one plant of all stages, Lumen is the measure of light within the space, If your gonna go with an LED light you want one with red/blue/orange or red/blue/white that spectrum will be best for your veg and flowering, blue for growth and red for flowering and the white or orange is for the broad spectrum of light to allow for nutrient absorption

For your light, easy and cost effective way for adjusting the height as the plant grows, is to get chains and clips easy adjusting can be done with those simple tools,

now that you have your lighting set up you must think about air circulation two fans rotating on low should be set blowing the plants as to circulate CO2 around the plants and also to strengthen the stem. This is essential for proper growth of your plants.

moving on Now you will need a pot, 2 gallons is the minimum for most plants for full growth but I suggest 4 gallons just in case plus bigger pot means bigger growth so it all depends on how much room you have for your plants

Now to soil, I would recommend Miracle grow Potting soil, It has nutrients to feed plants for 4 weeks or so, and it has good moisture retention. You can use other mediums such as Coco Coir, or Perlite, or many others. I used Miracle grow because it is a cheap and easily accessible medium.

Fertilizer is the final thing that you will need to ensure your growing success Your formula is going to have its main nutrients as Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium you want to find something that is close to a 20-20-20 balance of all three of these for the Veg cycle and a separate formula for Blooming/Flowering your plant that has a higher ratio of Phosphorus, anything close to a concentration of 10-30-10.

Other materials will be needed as well, such as Ph meter or PH tester, PH Balancers, Distilled water or filtered water, Ph balanced clean water is very important to your plants health, or else many problems will ensue and your entire crop shall be ruined.

All your Materials have been gather you must prepare for the planting stage.

First you must Dilute your nutrient solutions to about 1/10 nutrient and 9/10 water, for both flowering and vegetation growth.

All your water and feeding solutions and soil should be at a ph level of 6.0 use your test to see the ph levels and balancer formulas to either up the ph or lower the ph and your meter to test your soil ph levels, a 6.0 ph level in everything is key for root nutrient absorption.

place your pot directly underneath the light and fill it most of the way with your potting soil now in equal parts soak the soil with Ph balanced Distilled water and the diluted veg solution, now by soak I mean until decently moist not muddy or watery, one you have done that place your plant in the middle and bury the root bundle, or plug, or whatever your plant started in(if you started from a seed I shall do a section on that later), pat flat to ensure your plant is properly grounded and supported, now water a slight amount with just plain ph balance distilled water just until the top soil is moist.

Now you must lower your light till it is at least 4 inches away from the plant unless it is an HID that i suggest about 10 inches to prevent burning the leaves and during the vegetative stage it must be on 24 hours.

have fans blowing against the plant 24 hours.

for watering and feeding, some people say you feed nutrients every time you water your plants, But in the beginning You should stick with water until your plant is about 6 inches, once it is 6 inches I suggest alternating between watering and just feeding until about 8 inches then it would be nutrient with every watering, and your water schedule should be consistent I do my watering by eye, once the top soil is some what dry I water the plants

Now if you have a

low stress training, now to have a nice bushy plant your gonna want to do whats called low stress training you do this once your plant is at least 9-10 inches tall. what you do is take the large top leaves and gently and slowly bend them to one side to expose light to the lower branches and allow growth and have the plant get bushier as well as taller.

now once your plant is at least 12 inches you move the flowering stage,

Now your gonna want to build a flowering tent so that you can ensure perfect darkness during the period of night, all you'll need is cardboard, duct tap, a black out curtain. this is your turn to be creative or you can also find a tent that you can fit in your closet.

Your lighting will now be scheduled to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness for the rest of the flowering period and now you will switch to using the flowering nutrient solution that you made earlier for watering and feed.

continue this for at least a month and half or maybe even 3 months depending on your strain.

so about 4 weeks before harvest and you will know this because the hairs will start to darken, During this period you are gonna want to flush your plants and stop using nutrients, by this I mean take your plants to the bath tub, and double the amount of water to the volume of your pot so if you have a 2 gallon pot then your gonna need 4 gallons of ph balanced distilled water each flush. what you do is place your plant in the bath tub and pour in as much of the 4 gallons of ph balanced distilled water as possible but not to over flow the pot but enough to fill it up and allow it to drain and continue until all 4 gallons have passed through the pot and you can pick up the pot with little to no dripping and place back into the tent and allow soil to dry up a small amount on top before watering with only Ph balanced distilled water Now your gonna want to flush your plants once a week for this 4 week period so 4 times all together.

flushing is important to remove any excess fertilizer from the plant and purify it entirely allowing for a smoother and much cleaner final product.

Once the flowers has nice orange hairs they are safe to harvest, cut them from the main stem and hang them upside down to dry you want to wait about 5 days, after 3 days I would trim off the water leaf and all the excess, you can save the trimmings and the main stem for making cannabis butter. after 5 days you can finally remove the buds from the stems and place them in plastic zip lock bags for further curing to finish the process off.