Gweedings to you all.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aieoshekai, May 13, 2008.

1. Hello all, I'm from Houston and I just took my first hit about two months ago. I dig it, but as casual and harmless as it is I still can't really talk about it in the circles I run in, so I thought I'd introduce myself to the community. I frequently have questions that I can't find the answers too by just googling, so hopefully some of you guys may be able to help me out.

As for me, I'm an aspiring musician (I know, cliche right?) and I've been doing lite research off and on about marijuana and been in support of legalization since many years before my first real hit. Having finally done it myself, I think it's ridiculous that we're not allowed to smoke but are allowed to drink alcohol, which in my opinion is just as dangerous (not at all if used responsibly) as pot, if not a little more so.

Anyway, thanks for having me. I look forward to being around and seeing what kinds of things I can learn from you guys.

2. welcome to the city.
    you were supporting mj legalization before you smoke???
    this is the first time i ever heard that from someone.
    anyway.hope u enjoy the city:)

3. First of all, welcome to the city! I hope you enjoy your time here and learn a lot.

So you consider marijuana just as dangerous as alcohol? I don't consider weed dangerous at all. If you wouldn't mind, could you explain why you think there's some danger of sorts related to the bud?

4. I don't mean to suggest that I think it's physically harmful. Certainly it doesn't carry the risk of overdose or the liver damage that comes with alcohol (which even then can only become a problem if you let yourself take the habit too far). As for the risk to your lungs, most casual smokers wouldn't have anything to worry about, but people who smoke multiple joints a day or bowls out of unfiltered pieces are likely to suffer the same consequences as cigarette smokers.

But that's not what I was talking about when I said it. The "danger" I'm referring to is the same danger that exists with ANY recreation that people use as a stress relief. Whether it's alcohol, weed, sex, even something like World of Warcraft or Everquest can be used as an escape from life or personal responsibility. Stress relief is great, but if you're not careful, you may look back and realize you turned it into a crutch.

Most people who smoke weed do not have this problem, because the danger is not with weed necessarily, but with ourselves and the decisions we make and, more importantly, the reasons we make those decisions. Naturally, I believe strongly that this should be our own choice to make.

Anyway, that's what I mean when I compare weed and booze. They both provide easy escapes for someone looking for one, and people can unwittingly enslave themselves to either, if they're not careful. Obviously, a responsible self-aware person won't have any trouble with either, and you're right about alcohol being significantly more harmful than weed physically.

Hope I cleared up my intent.