Guru's Guerilla Throwback 2010!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Ganja Guru, May 13, 2010.

1. I'm with Harry, don't sweat the small stuff. You've got a damn fine grow here and 7 nice plants like this will give you a damn good harvest. Ya gotta deal with what the Gods of Ganja lay upon your table broseph...you do the best with what they leave you to work with, that's just the name of the game. In fact I always plant about 5 extra to account for potential loss. Looking good here +rep

2. Thank you guys for such warm words of encouragement; I can always count on the positivity of the blades here at GC to make a fella feel good:D

Truth is, there were MANY things that I didn't do this year that I normally do, so I know that most of the undesireable aspects of my outcome so far are due to my mistakes;
    For starters, my soil mix was ALL wrong(completely overlooked and ignored the fact that half of the ammendments I had never went into my holes:eek:) that is a BIG reason for the issues I am having. If you've ever seen what a heavy peat mix will do when mixed with a primarily red clay soil then you know what Im talking about. The top of the soil becomes much like a solid "cap" of sorts and keeps everything you want sinking down to the roots above the surface. I noticed this one night while watering when my spray nozzle hit the ground near the stalk. Upon hearing a very hollow sounding thump I reached down to feel with my hand and literally "knocked" on it with my fist as if it were a door. "thump thump thump" It is too weird trust me. So now when I water, I do it VERY slowly in order to saturate that "cap", then All my water will actually GET to the roots rather than runnning off the surface away from the money hole. Also my prep holes needed to be much bigger - digging them in this spot served to be very exhausting. It was almost like digging through concrete. Secondly, I don't think I like the nutrients I chose this year. I just never saw that growth I wanted. Again, your soil mix has loads to do with how the roots can utilize the food you give to your plants. And my soil mix was far from ideal.

Never the less, I will get a decent harvest for the modest guerilla grower and honestly, I think these bag seed plants will be some very good smoke.

Right now, I am so far away from any serious flower development like I see already occuring for some of the growers here and that can be attributed to two main factors: heavy sativa mix in the genes and my southernly local. This being said, it looks like I've got plenty of time to keep watering and feeding the shit out of them so when flowering kicks into full gear they will be as big as they can possibly be. There is one plant that Im pretty surprized by though, she stands over 6 foot and judging by the structure, shes gonna have one massive main cola! Fingers crossed!:wave: Love you GrassCity!

3. Heyy!

Awesome grow my man. My plants looks more or less the same, but I got about 20 of em'.

What kind of yeild are you looking for with those girls?

Keep it up!

4. Honestly, a very modest yeild. I have a wife, children, cats and dogs :p I would love to grow balls to the wall every single year, but I roll with the punches that mother earth throws and this year I feel a modest yeild indeed coming. :smoking: Quality over quantity I always say.

5. #65 p_snickers, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
    Hey guru, nice looking grow. Keeping it modest and low[er] key! i like your style :)

i saw earlier in the journal that you used Fish emulsion to feed your plant. fish emulsion is produced by cooking and pulverizing the fish rendering most if not all of the beneficial organisms dead. a fish hydrolysate is what you want. hydrolysates are made through cold pressing techniques preserving the organisms and, thus, are much more effective as a partial fertilizer.

there are plenty of posts going further in depth about the subject, here's just one
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe.html#post3915015
    and another
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/620053-favorite-organic-nutes-post-em-up.html#post7729373

best of luck with the rest of the grow! I'll be checking regularly to see how that sulfate of potash works for you.

EDIT: here;s a short blurb about Hydrolysates as well
    http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/fish-fertilizer/

6. Good words to live by Guru- Good words indeed-

Intersting stuff Snickers thanks for posting the info I'm going to check it out for sure. Peace HB

7. That is good info snickers. The fish "emulsion" I used was a huge batch of pureed brown trout that I caught and prepared myself in the spring. I didn't cook it, but I did let it age in the basement fridge. So maybe Im on to something:rolleyes:

8. THESE MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

Ya know, at the begining the season I thought it was stem rot...nope....then I started thinking nematodes.....nope....its these MOTHER FUCKERS RIGHT HERE! These damn TERMITES are the reason for the wilting and COMPLETE DEATH of half of my plants....who would've thought? And Im talking numbers here too guys....I had 24 seedlings...12 were planted in the ground and the other doezen were on standby incase they were needed (males and what not) Turns out that after looking back at my notes...I've only pulled 5 males out of 24 ...oh and I gave my old man two...that turned out to be male so thats still only 7 (which is a pretty good one 7/24 males) That means that 13 of my plants were literally eaten by these fucking termites! Ahhhhh:mad: Im mad.

Im Down to four plants guys.

I named all the ladies last night too btw and thought I'd share...:p

Theres "First Lady" 4 1/2 ft tall Sativa Dominant mix. Showed me sex first out of all the plants (hence "First Lady") No obvious aroma yet except for when disturbing the pre-flowers with my fingers.

Then there's "Tough Titty". She was the one eaten and displayed in tonights Ganja Termite photo of the week. I called her "tough titty" because she didn't do too well after the super crop, but Im sure the buds were still gonna be good:smoke: She was the twin to the next girl "Big Mamma".

"Big Mamma" stands about 7 ft tall a heavy Indica mix. Broader leaves at first but now putting out thinner and thinner leaves as she continues to grow. This one may need to be put under a stealthy LST training here soon. Her branching is focused around one main cola that I can assure you guys is gonna be one hell of a treat! Classic Christmass tree shape.

Then there's "Stanky Leg". She is the first thing you smell when you walk into the plot:D Medium sized heavy Indica mix and man is she STINKY. Dark green, looks like shes has 4 main colas.

And last but surely least...lol... there is "Lil Tot" she has gotten the least amount of water and is in the sunniest location as well as the smallest dug prep hole....:eek: Single cola, petite, but again something tells me the smoke is gonna be really nice.

Hang in there with me on pics of the remaining ladies guys; I can only visit at night and can't risk using the flash in this location. Long story short, a nearby house that was not occupied during the spring set out is now occupied by a family member...:cool: They are home all day so I can't walk out throught the field so long as the suns up. I will have to wait until I see them leave for groceries or something, and run out there to snap some photos because it really is time for a visual update.

Here's those FUCKERS! lol

9. Bastards!

Attached Files:

10. ahhh dude tough luck with the termites! I nearly dug into an ant hill yesterday lol

hopefully you can get lucky or devise a plan to keep the termites from eating the rest...something I saw done in New Orleans was they used a real nice soft wood and had it soaked in a slow acting poison so the termites would bring some back to the queen and she would die soon after eating the wood and there goes their colony...not sure if they have something like that but you could try making it yourself with cutting up some small pieces of wood and lettiung them soak in poison for a few days or something...then just drop them out near your plants on the ground or at the termite mount (if they have one nearby Im sure they do).

11. Oh Ganja,that sucks big time . I never ever would have thunk it. Man thats a tough lesson,but sounds like your taking it quite well. You are ARE going to do something to protect whats left correct? You gotta lay some shit down, otherwise they are prolly gone look for some more Dank. Pecae bro,hang in there.

12. #72 Ganja Guru, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010

That sounds about right. I have never had this pest problem before, so its a new one on me. Fuck, knowing my luck I probably planted right beside the frigging mound! :p

Im going to have to do some consulting with some fellow growers on this one. To be honest, Im not so sure what the best route is for termite prevention. Im sure someone out there has had this problem before, I hope.

13. I thought I've heard of everything on GC. But Frickin Termites? You gotta be one of the first's ? :eek: I betcha the Hardware store will have something. But I'd get my hiney moving,cause Bugs dont sleep. Peace Guru-HB

14. Sorry to hear the bad news Ganja. Already it's hard enough with cops, rippers, "normal" bugs but termites, shit. I may have made a mistake on one of my auto holes. I was missing soil and saw the trash can with 2 year's ago's soil. I looked under the trash can and there was nothing special so I dumped the whole can on the grow spot and when the dirt broke apart, I saw (5 am) that it was in fact an ant (or termite) nest. Shiiit! Millions of them right on my future spot! I removed all the soil as best I could (gloves) but there were still some ants (or termites?) in there when I planted my autos. We'll see but I hope they don't fk my plants. I left the soil full of ants right next to the spot too. Man, you've been running out of luck this year. Here's to the girls that are left buddy. :smoke:

15. HEy Ganja I have not been hit as hard as you but I have lost two nice plants due to the same deal.
    Freakin' Termites. Also my mom ask me to plant a couple Chestnut trees for her and when I saw they did not have any leaves on them I pulled on the stalk and gues what was eating the shit outta them?? Damn Termites, Soldier Termites.

I am not sure where you are but I am in WV. close to the Ohio River and it sounds to me that Termites are obviously getting heavier for some reason in the woods. The two plants I lost were 4 footers and healthy, One was a Jack Flash #5 from Sensi Seeds and the other was a Gspot from I believe Vancouver Island Seeds. I have other Gspots but I only had one Jack Flash #5 and I was soooo looking forward to that one..

So if you hear anything on how to protect the rest of the girls we have PLEASE let me know.

I had messed around with some of them and sprayed the Neem Oil on them and it seemed to kill them, as far as I know, unless they just passed out for a few hours or something, Maybe they were stoned from eating all that Jack Flash.......LOL
    I was thinking about pour some of the neem oil dilution around the stalk after I water each time but I am not sure if that will build up too much in the soil or not. We have 90+ heat and no rain so I have to water about 2 gallon each plant every other day since they are all 4-6 footers.

I have been spraying the neem oil around my plants and on top of my mulch and only on the bottom branches but them turdmites must be traveling underground.

16. #76 randee, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
    Here is a pic of my Termite Bastard
    [​IMG]

17. Yep. Thats defenately the bastard right there:mad: I've discussed this issue with a long time Ganja-Guru I know; he's got about 20 years on me growing the Ganja and says this happens everytime we get hit with a HOT summer. Apparently the termite bastards eat and drink from the moisture of the stalks. Also, cannabis getting watered on the reg, is one of the most attractive things to termites....so hey we live and learn. The temps here have been almost 100 degrees everyday. So I can understand why these lush stalks are so appealing to them. If I were a termite I'd be right there too, muchin and drinking away. :p

On a side note, there doesn't seem much you can do to prevent this aside from planting in containers that are placed in holes. This way it serves as a decent barrier when these underground bastards start tunneling towards your plant stalks a few inches under the surface. Come on GC, someone has got to have expereience with this issue! :confused:

18. Soft wood soaked in poison and leave the chunks around your plants and the termites will bring the poison back to the queen to eat...and soon they'll be dead...termites not your plants lol

19. That is a good idea. I found some kits for that concept but they get pricey and are far from organic. Wonder if I could make my own poison to soak the wood slats in? The kit I found says you don't put the real bait out untill you got termites eating on un treated wood, then you switch it with the good stuff. Wonder how this will work. :confused:

20. when I watered 3 of my nicest ladies today, after I watered them I sprayed neem oil at the base of the stalk. Not a hudge amount because even though Organic I don't want to shock the girls.

I know LD puts Neem Seed Meal in his soil recipe so they should withstand some I just need someone to help me with the amount and if I can boost the dilution etc.... I sprayed the regular dilution on a couple live termites and they flat stop moving so I know the Neem Oil will stop them in their tracks.

The idea with putting poison on a soft peice of wood would or could be a good idea if the termites find it before they find the stalk. We could at least put that on a lower side of the hole where water drains away from it. At least that would be one measure that would have a chance of getting them.