Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed 
    Time / 8/8/2012
    \n\n(CNN) -Over the last year, I have been working on a new documentary called "Weed." The title "Weed" may sound cavalier, but the content is not.
    \nI traveled around the world to interview medical leaders, experts, growers and patients. I spoke candidly to them, asking tough questions. What I found was stunning.
    \nLong before I began this project, I had steadily reviewed the scientific literature on medical marijuana from the United States and thought it was fairly unimpressive. Reading these papers five years ago, it was hard to make a case for medicinal marijuana. I even wrote about this in a TIME magazine article, back in 2009, titled "Why I would Vote No on Pot."
    \nWell, I am here to apologize.
    \nI apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.
    \nInstead, I lumped them with the high-visibility malingerers, just looking to get high. I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse."
    \nThey didn't have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true. It doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works. Take the case of Charlotte Figi, who I met in Colorado. She started having seizures soon after birth. By age 3, she was having 300 a week, despite being on seven different medications. Medical marijuana has calmed her brain, limiting her seizures to 2 or 3 per month.
    \nI have seen more patients like Charlotte first hand, spent time with them and come to the realization that it is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana.
    \nWe have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that.
    \nI hope this article and upcoming documentary will help set the record straight.
    \nThis is what happens when an unpaid prohibitionist that supported our governments policies actually researches for themselves.

2. Well seems as some are finally not ignorant on the subject of marijuana

3. ^ True That @poster above.

4. I have to throw some doubt in his apology. I know he is a smart man but I personally feel he already knew the advantages of Cannabis. As a doctor and a very bright person I feel him switching sides is primarily political. To have a doctor that is behind the times is no bueno for me. I am also goong to throw it out there that he may have big Pharm behind him, so I will reserve my full judgement untill the dust clears!

5. Gupta knew about the benefits of medical cannabis....Anybody with access to the internet can find out the benefits...there are TONS of studies done by the NCBI (US government funded research) that show the positive effects it can have on certain ailments. 

It's just becoming more mainstream now so it's okay to be pro pot.

6. Exactly, this is a great sign for legalization IMO. When politicians and former prohibs like Mr. Gupta start using it to advance their careers that definitely shows the attitude shift towards cannabis laws. Its just a matter of time before the brick wall of federal prohibition collapses.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 claygooding, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    He took the pro side of a debate for legalization against a re-hab doctor and won hands down.
    And he wasn't really arguing for legalization he was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the rehab doctors concerns over people becoming addicted to marijuana and pointed out and made the rehab doctor agree that marijuana was less dangerous and addictive than alcohol or tobacco.

HERE

8. Yeah, the loud mouth rehab Dr has a monetary interest in seeing it stay illegal....so imo, he should't even have been interviewed......

9. Gupta is a progressive puppet. Come on, people. He's pushed the hard left agenda for years, but has suddenly seen the light? Hardly.
    Fits right in with the aim to hand this over to big pharma by government and the corporations.
    This shit reads like it was written directly like an Obama speech writer. EXACTLY like it.

Rehab doctor captitulating during the debate addresses the obvious positive tests which will occur when people are using "approved" big pharma cannabis meds. Under ObummerCare, if you haven't had a prescrip from big pharma for it, you will be fined for a positive test.
    Again, right in line with what is coming. Gupta is still a piece of shit.

10. There is going to be a FLOOD into rehab/"re-education" camps under the progressive vision. Rehab docs wouldn't publicly relent if this were not the case. The "preventative care" under ObummerCare will test everyone. If it isn't pharma-approved, off you go for "evaluation." BANK on it.

11. Damn, there sure is a lot of negative speculation on something that has so much positive potential. :smoke:

12. #12 Buddha_Man, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
    Cannabis being illegal is the same reason why we dont use Nicola Tesla's AC electicral current...because it's free. because some greedy pricks cant make money off a medicine you can EASILY grow, or a source of energy that people wouldnt have to pay for.

Once again, corporations doing their dirty work. Lousy bastards

Can you imagine if electricity and weed were free? imagine how much dank there would be in the world.

13. When you have the corporate spokesperson for all things big pharma delivering the message, -read between the lines a little.
    "Not bringing down the vibe" is something the cannabis community is guilty of. Too much "positive," not enough reality.
    It's about profits, man. Of course its negative.

14. Damn, you're spinning this shit worse than MSM.........

15. What do you think I pay attention to in order to see how they are spinning things?
    I've just peeled back the onion layer a little. It's right in front of everyone to pick up on. You just have to be skeptical of, well, everything.
    And why wouldn't we be?? Ya got the NSA spying on everyone. State-run media. How many warning flags do people need these days? LOL!

16. This is fan-fucking-tastic! A CNN advocate openly supporting pot? Hell yeah, this is a great step towards legalization, hopefully alot of closed-minded, ignorant lobbyists will have their eyes opened now.

17. Not really, just being realistic.

18. Thank you.
    Just because somehting has a "positive" spin doesn't mean it is not propaganda.
    People on this board are guilty like the general populous of jumping on whatever fits their desires if it sounds good.
    The same people would crucify something out of Gupta's mouth that did not support ending prohibition, which has not exactly been this asshat's track record. Oh...but he's seen the light. Riiiiight.....$$$$

19. I don't really care what Gupta thinks. The story is big on google news, though, at least a little while ago. It was the first story to pop up, didn't even have to search for it.

20. It's very good news.

Ignore the naysayers.