Gun control ??

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by pikey, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Im not sure how many people have been following this but our 2nd amendment is borderline being gone. WTF is goin on !! our govt is taking away our right to self defence. please post your thoughts... if your anti-gun your voice is welcome 2 just dont be a dick.

2. when someone breaks into your house at 4am who are you gonna call ? me personally no body im gonna go in my dresser and grab my springfield xd sub compact and greet them at the door :)

3. i honestly think that being able to walk into walmart with some kind of license and walk out with a peice is ridiculous (sp?).

If you had that in this country (England), we would of all shot each other by now. The amount of increasing knife crime in london is bad enough let alone shooters.

4. hell yeah, you got any attachments for it?

5. I believe gun control is perfect the way it is. There are certain people who cant get pieces and rightfully so, if you are a convicted felon or if you have been hospitalized with a mental disease then you dont get the privaledge of owning a firearm capable of killing people.

I also feel there should be a ban on assualt rifles. there is absolutely no logical need to own an assualt rifle.

Your everyday citizen can go into any gun store or pawn shop and leave with a firearm in less than 20 minutes usually. I have had my background check ran and cleared in minutes even with marijuana convictions

6. fantastic idea.

then only the criminals will have the illegal weapons since law-abiding citizens cant own them.

if i want to go out to the range and blast thousands of shells, what does it matter to you?

7. no reason to have an assalt rifle? other then the fact there are already tons of them illegaly out there on the streets in the hands of not so good people id rather not pull my pistol on someone who has an assault rifle no matter how good my shot is

8. Gotta agree with this, but then England has a different attitude to guns than the USA it seems.

There are plenty of people who I believe while they may have the "right" to own a gun, should still not be allowed to own them.

And as for background checks, and not allowing criminals to own them...

This is all well and good in theory, but as has already been stated there are plenty of illegal firearms about, and they aren't so hard to get. Plus, this system is reliant on a conviction existing, I'm sure plenty more people haven't been caught up to no good than have.

I just can't get behind a "right" that essentially gives someone the power to kill someone.

And to the OP, the right to self defence is not tantamount to the right to bear arms. I've defended my home in several instances, and myself without a firearm, of course fortunately, the assailant wasn't armed either.

As for England, I think the introduction of a right to bear ams, would increase an already growing problem. I fear that for the US, it may be too late to realistically remove this right.

And as for assault rifles on the range, I don't see why you have to own your own gun for this, I'm sure there's a certain satisfaction or pride or whatever associated with it, but I'd rather sacrifice this pride and not have a rifle in my home, than have it and risk going gung-ho in a moment of panic, or someone else getting hold of it.

9. Gun controll is a joke.

I should be able to have anything those watching over me (pigs) can have. If I want an m60, i should be able to have one. Most gun crimes are comitted with a 22 caliber hand gun, yet there are almost no restrictions. NONE are comitted with assult rifles, while many people do own very deadly guns, such as M4's, ar15's, pre ban full auto AK's....

10. You gotta look at the bigger picture. Basically you're all saying, "oh, all the criminals have guns, so we should have guns too!" but where do you think the criminals get all the guns from? If you make gun possession illegal, it's a lot harder to get hold of guns. It's actually really simple, look at crime statistics and you'll definitely find a positive correlation with gun possession legality and higher crime rates.

It's like you're trying to find a solution but you're just making it worse. Sure, it might be reassuring to have a gun in case you get robbed or something, but the problem has come from gun legality. If they were never legal in the first place, way less people would have them, and there would be waaaay less violent crime.

11. this is the typical dumbass liberal perspective.

C'mon, disrespect like this isn't welcome here and you know it. *RMJL

the most popular assault rifle on the streets is the Kalashnikov.

so youre telling me that all these thugs got these ak's from domestic sources?

:rolleyes:

and dont ever assume you know what im "saying".

show me ONE credible source for that.

12. I wouldn't say taking a liberal view makes you a pussy any more than being pro guns should you make you a facist or anything else.

People that want guns, will find a way to get them if they want them badly enough, regardless of legality. This is true with anything, dangerous or otherwise. I don't see how making it any easier for someone to get a gun helps anything. I'm happy enough not owning a gun and diverting efforts put into background check systems, legal supplying etc into making greater efforts to prevent the distribution of illegal weapons.

But once again, a view from another culture as far as firearms are concerned.

13. WOW. People that grow up not owning guns should not ever speack about them. Ive grown up hunting/ fishing just an outdoor kid. When i was little i used get SO pissed off of how people wanted to take our guns because gangsters shooting eachother. How would the majority of people that own guns be able to hunt? An American tradition. As for the the gun ban in England. Guess what happend when they took there guns away? CRIMES WENT UP!!! Go on NRA.com and get ur facts straight before u start saying that taking away guns would be a good thing... what i think we should do is DESCRIMINATE... obviously someone who walks into a guns store with baggy clothes and a bandana around hes head isnt gonna go hunting or use it just for self protection... People that dont use guns for fun, tradition shouldnt be the ones saying that we should not be aloud to have guns... I would cry and leave this country if they were all banned and that is what that bitch hillary wants. How many times have guns saved lives? Guns would still be in the hands of gangsters... Look how much weed is in our country there would still be guns to. The only people that wouldnt have them is the ones who used them for the right reasons.

14. Oh sure, because NRA.com is surely a non-biased website to get objective facts. They surely have no agenda! :rolleyes:

15. it only makes sense... The robbers are thinking, well if i cant get shot... Whats there to worry about besides the cops.

oh and p.s. Y is my square red? haha did i do something wrong?

16. Crime may well have gone up, but the discussion doesn't seem to be on crime, more on gun control. So did gun crime go up? Did the number of crimes resulting in serious injuries or deaths increase?

And unfortunately, discrimination wouldn't really be a possibility.

"All men are created equal" and such, surely you'd be undermining that somewhat if you chose not to sell to a guy wearing baggies and a bandanna.

Hell, a lot of people here dress in a "chavvy" manner, but don't have anything to do with what chavism is generally associated with. I wouldn't want to exclude them from something I do, strictly because I had a bad experience with someone else, who happened to dress the same.

And same point as the above poster, nra.com for gun stats? That's like saying go look at DEA reports for marijuana stats.

17. Well ofcouse gun crime didnt go up but im sure knife crime did... and all other crimes. Ya i know i wasnt really serious about the whole discrimination thing because i know it would never happen but it was just a thought. Im not saying that all the facts on there are completely true but think about it... Why would crime go down because guns were banned? Now robbers dont need a gun to protect them selves against the people they rob, vise versa.

18. I agree, outlawing guns, removing them whatever will not stop or prevent crime necessarily, what it will lower however is gun crime, and I would rather see an increase in basic assaults and a decrease in deaths from shootings (whether they be intentional or not), than have pretty much anyone running round with a piece.

Would you rather someone came at you with a knife, or shot at you?

In this kind of discussion I can't help but see the whole thing as a lesser of two evils situation.

My chances I'm sure aren't great if I've got someone trying to cut me up, but I'm damn sure they are a hell of a lot better than if I'm getting shot at.

19. If we didn't have guns we would still be part of your country. That's the point of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution: So that the citizens can defend themselves and stand up for themselves.

1 - There is no logical need for my ex-girlfriend to buy new shoes every week. Do you only want things to be legal if EVERYONE can see the logic in it?

2 - There is a lot of logic to owning an "assault rifle." We have enough technology now that I don't feel I should have to manually cycle the action to fire every shot. Semi-automatic rifles are fun to shoot and they make very capable hunting or self defense weapons. Many times if your first shot doesn't hit your deer/whatever well enough, the deer will run away and slowly die a painful death. It is a lot more humane to pop off a second shot and finish them quickly.

3 - The definition of an "Assault Rifle" is determined by legislators, many of whom have never even seen a gun in person let alone understand the difference between types of firearms. In some states, simply having a removable magazine or a certain style of grip will magically turn your rifle into an illegal "assault weapon"

4 - The VAST majority of gun-related crimes are committed with handguns, not assault rifles. Many people own assault rifles because when they were in the military, the US Gov't thought there was enough "logic" to spend thousands of dollars training them to use assault rifles.

So what? You can buy a car without a background check at all, and more people are killed by cars than guns.

You're right, we should remove all rights that give that power, such as the right to own automobiles or knives, and the right to practice medicine. Then no one will be killed, right? :rolleyes:

Of course you don't get it, you don't enjoy the hobby! I don't see why people need to own model rockets. You can make your own choice not to own a rifle, why do you feel the need to FORCE that choice on others?

Exactly! "Government by the people, for the people" not "Government by the elite who are the only ones allowed to own firearms" Without an armed citizenry, what do we do when the government crosses the line?

Sorry, you're wrong. Violent crime has been around for many thousands of years longer than guns have been around. Guns are just a tool, they do not cause crime.

20. Ya ok good point an all but your not thinking about the millions of people who use guns for hunting, target shooting, recreation and all those people LOVE to do those things... So why should the whole country not be allowed to have guns because gangsters shoot eachother? I mean if u think about it mostly all the people that are getting shot are ppl that are in gangs, not some innocent person. There are more people in the U.S who use there guns resposibly than those who dont, AKA all the hunters(who by the way have used guns there WHOLE life) As far as im concerned if ppl want to join a gang and go around slanging there gat son than go ahead and kill eachother, just dont take my gun away because i use it to kill deer. Maybe they should change the laws on people who are allowed to buy a gun... Like you have to have your hunters safety course... no gang tattoos... multiple choice questions about firearms safety EXedra... Basically ok this is what happens when you ban all guns... An American tradition is lost, just vanished.(besides bow hunting(ya i do that to)) Everyone that is legally registered to own a gun loses it... All the illegaly owned guns are still in the streets, still doing what they did before but all the responsible gun owners cant. Our 2nd Amendment is gone, who knows what else will come if our bill of rights is changed? disaster perhaps. You will lose your meaning of being American. It will be like this. We arnt allowed to own guns anymore because our citys are turning in to gang territories. You are not a real American if you want guns to be banned imo. What would George Washington say about that. "WWOOOWW lets just lock up all the gangsters(who by the way are obvious) and be done with it." George W. i could go on for hours but im gonna let u say something because idk what im typing about anymore, i need direction