Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Gummie separation issue

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Heddlites, Sep 22, 2021.

1. I had an issue with the infused coconut oil separating from the jello. I've used the same recipe (AGG recipe) to make numerous batches of gummies with having this issue only 1 other time. The only thing different each time this has happened was the flavor of the jello. I've made strawberry, raspberry, grape, pineapple, and berry blue & Jello Brand. So I'm thinking there's something w/ certain flavors?

Anyway do you think just remelting & adding a bit more gelatin would solve the issue? Has anyone else encountered this issue? TIA

2. This is an emulsion instability problem. There are two ways to keep an emulsion stable. One way is to use an emulsifier eg lecithin or glycerol monostearate. Another is to use a thickener such as a gum. Using the second method requires that a certain factor that I forget the name of, something to do with Stoke's Law I think, is a minimum value or separation will occur. In your case the gelatin is acting as a gum. Possibly you changed the brand.

3. Ok the recipe I use calls for 1T of lecithin. What do you think about adding just a tad more lecithin to the mixture?

4. Lecithin is quite a powerful emulsifier and perfectly safe (eggs have a lot) so I don't think you'd need to make a major increase. In cosmetics chemistry we either centrifuge to test stability, and / or do a freeze-thaw test to see if the product loses stability. If you care to share the formula / recipe I will take a look at the emulsion chemistry. It's a bit difficult if there are imprecise volume measures eg spoons or cups. I'm not sure if THC oil has a published HLB value... I'll search.

5. oh! I found something immediately and I like it a lot, it makes sense. The emulsifier of choice is Polysorbate 80 which is a GRAS (generally regarded as safe) additive used in many foods as an emusifier. It is a medium viscosity liquid and needed in small amounts and has an ideal HLB (emulsification matching factor) of 15, the same as THC and CBD oils. Go Together Like Oil, Water….. and Cannabis? I've got Polysorbate 80 in my lab and I can make oil using 96% ethanol, so I think I will have a go at this. But... but... urgh. Skunk Gummies? I feel sick.

6. I ended up adding a t. more of lecithin after melting the gummies down & poured it into a cookie sheet to make needs ropes instead of actual gummies. Adding the extra lecithin solved the issue. Thank you for your reply.

• Like Like x 1