Guitarist Talk

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by ganjawrestler13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Teles have a similar neck feel, but the body is not contoured like the Strat.
    The Tele sounds “thinner” and twangier than the Strat. The Strat has a more biting tone, and has 3 pickups to select from, whereas the Telecaster has two. For me, the Strat is more comfortable. But that’s just me.

MIM- made in Ensenada Mexico, are generally very good but may have occasional quality control issues. Maybe the assemblers enjoy too much mota and tequila on the weekends! MIM’s are the most affordable.

MIJ or Crafted in Japan guitars are usually very high quality and can rival the fit and finish of the American made instruments.
    My paisley is CIJ, and really nice. You don’t see the Japanese ones as often as the others.

MIA - made in America are the high end quality wise. They use the choicest woods for necks and bodies and have better pickups and electronics. The finished product is regularly very high quality. You pay more for American made ones.
    Then there’s the Custom Shop where you can design your own personalized one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Very nice. Was this an expensive add on? I only knew about attenuators and they aint cheap.

This is my guitar. I am happy with it but I am also very curious about stratocasters.
    this one is cadillac green 20211215_215304.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for the explanation my dude. I dont have people irl to talk guitar with. So I appreciate this thread and your inputs guys

• Like Like x 2
  4. ahhhh. those look like blacktop filtertrons. a lower output humbucker. very very nice with beautiful cleans.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yeah this particular one was $499usd but it reaplced my whole pedal board so it was worth it to me lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. #486 Goblin_smasher, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    They are. I gotta learn what the difference is in high and low output on the pickups :)

I mostly play it with the bridge pickup I think it is. Flip down, those pickups are the same but for some reason I think I hear more presence to rock in that setting.

Gotta some learning to do

7. got covid, after I got over it I sat at home for a week and hot rodded the wiring so it goes from jack to pick ups to selector to master volume. I eliminated the 3 tone pots because I never use them. these are the Brian Setzer signature pick ups that are hotter than the OG tv jones classics and it has a more pronounced mid range because setzers rockabilly style blends the punk attitude and punchiness of the early 80s.

to me they sound kinda of like my Gibson p90s. ultra thick p90s with a full range crunch.

also I finished my hardwired point to point rebuild. I got some a tweaking to do on it but its not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. basically the the higher the resistance (ohms) your pick ups have, the more more output signal you have making them hotter, basically it pushes the electrical path harder to distort the signal and over drive the tubes. its mainly used to get those high gain distorted metal tones like Slipknot vs Guns n Roses.

BUT on that flip side, paired with the right amp with tons of headroom (jazz chorus 120 or a fender twin reverb) you can get some loud and beautiful pronounced cleans.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

I figured the amp i bought last time I wrote here got too loud. But I still like it alot. Its the laney supercub 12.

So I got myself yamaha thr 30. Its better for home practicing (for me) but the laney definitely sound fuller. Because of the tubes.

I am having a little trouble playing the laney on a manageable volume without losing tone and harmony.

Well, I got the rest of my life to figure it out. I am on a guitar Journey.

What do you all play now ?

10. Thats a very nice guitar. The saddle or what its called on the end of the strings is similar to the guitar i am having a boner on. The yamaha revstar. One of those revstar have similar saddle in aluminium.

And p90s. I imagine the saddle gives something extra to the sound.

Guess that gibson was not cheap

11. that's what were here for. musicians are like pot heads. we tend to look out for each other and willingly share our secrets and technique because even if a lot of us have been playing and building for decades we can always improve our art.

• Like Like x 1
  12. and the Yamaha thr series is such a nice little practice amp. you can also use it as an interface to connect to your computer and record!

• Like Like x 1
  13. oooooh the things I can say about the Yamaha brand. they make such good shit at a decent price. I grew up in Hawaii and always had access to Japanese made instruments instead of American made stuff. shipping was quicker lol.

one of my first guitars was a Yamaha Pacifica hss around 1992. by 1994 I changed everything on it and became my "tone" through my high school ska-punk phase. wish I still had it or even wish I could find a used Pacifica in my area of America now. id totally scoop it in a heartbeat.

the Gibson Les Paul was actually surprisingly cheap considering what guitars cost. this one I got used for $900 which is what my Gretsch costs new and what all the parts I threw at my Epiphone Les Paul costs. realistically $1000 is my magic guitar gigging/touring number that Im comfortable that either I worked it enough/it was built well enough to be dependable on stage/studio and during travel. my first actual USA 10 city tour ended with me selling everything I had and going to a pawn shop to buy a cheap barley functional Mexican Stratocaster to finish the last date. I threw destroyed that Strat that last night and went back to Hawaii with nothing, like a real punk. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. now im just gonna show it off cause its so pretty.
    5FE47390-8C71-4E2A-A5C7-81C589C939E7_1_105_c.jpeg B868C59F-95F6-452B-A3DB-038A7BEEC8D4_1_105_c.jpeg 0371A821-30B7-4023-9610-73D3CB62B876_1_105_c.jpeg D65AFDCE-8B0D-441A-A9C4-B8FCB40AB15E_1_105_c.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.27.26 PM.png

• Winner Winner x 1

15. Very nice collection.

I am curious about how do you guys come to realize you need pedals/effects and how do you find out which ones you like? Have been seeing a lot of pedals. Like for instance ampeg's octave splitter. That one costs 350 usd used here.

Since my last post here i have come to realize i need to learn the fretboard. Have learned where C is all over. Practicing and improving. Great feeling. Practicing scales to get better.

16. Cool story, I would like to go to Hawaii once

17. the pedal comes with time. when you start hearing that melody in your head and as your playing it you start to wonder what it sounds like with a little more clean boost, or with more modulation or different reverb. maybe a tape echo effect for some old times grit. pedals are cool but they are always an after thought for me because im a very bare bones kinda guy.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 6.47.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 6.47.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 6.47.56 AM.png

the first one is as complicated as I get and that's because I was trying to mimic billy duffys (the cult) tone. next one is usually what ill use for that social distortion punk tone and the last one is my usual blues tone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Amps, attenuators, rheostats, impedance, pedals, amps, watts!
    [​IMG]
    MY kind of thread, was always more of a percussion and fretless bass player myself, but really loving the pics of peoples amps, setups etc. May post mine later this week

• Like Like x 2
  19. Speaking of fretless basses, I have this one I put together.
    451E16A7-5229-407D-8AC9-2A5702EEB19E.jpeg A0178B8B-1206-4F73-9639-5FA7A91134FD.jpeg 92234CA4-20C6-48B4-B3F4-7C9DE779ACA3.jpeg AD546011-9C2D-4CC4-92DF-C2B3274B39BC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1