Guitarist Talk

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by ganjawrestler13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Thanks ganjawrestler13! They are just 2 of the 4. I have an Ibanez Prestige but I'm more off a bass girl.

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1424732891.604597.jpg Old reliable. Thinking about investing in a strat for different styles but this thing does the job pretty damn well

3. I've got a question about fingerpicking. A friend if mine told me that the thumb is used to pick the bottom three strings (E, A, D) and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are used to play G, B and high E, respectively. I've seen people totally disregard this though. Is there one way that is more efficient than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. That is technically the formal way to do it but the beauty of guitar is the versatility of it. As long as you're satisfied with the sound being produced, do whatever is most comfortable for you. There's guitar snobs out there that will try to crucify you about technical stuff like that but in reality you just have to play what you feel! My finger picking is all over the place, and I'm alright with that
    I would be writing some heaaaavy stuff if I had that bad boy lol

5. There are many ways to do it.  Wes Montgomery, the greatest jazz guitarist of them all, used only his thumb for everything.  Rev. Gary Davis, of Gospel, Blues and Ragtime fame, used his thumb and first finger only, and produced more music than than even the best fingerpicking guitarists can play using more than that.  Study up on how various people did it, and you'll see that there's no one "right" way - the right way is what works for you.  

6. The classical method for finger picking is called PIMA

7. Long time no see guys!!! I got a little carried away on the road of life, but I've still been strumming every day! I found a wicked tune setting on one of my amps that is perfect for psychedelic blues like Robin Trower and such. What has everyone been playing lately?

8. Oh man I would love this thread to become active! right as I get back on GC. [​IMG]
    I've been writing goth songs for a new band. Think 80s stuff like the Cure and Sisters of Mercy, not mallrat goth
    I have a Jazzmaster and I need a real amp. My bass rig is better than my guitar stuff right now, which is weird for me.

9. Honeybucket, if you're looking for a big amp with pretty good sound for a low price; I'd recommend an Acoustic G120, I bough one last winter and don't regret it at all. Two 12" with PA hookup and built in effects for around $250? That's what I'm talking about lol. It's not a top of the line amp but it's loud as hell and I've got some pretty cool tunes out of it! Good luck in your musical experience my man and welcome to the thread

10. My first "good" tube amp is gonna be a Hovercraft Dwarvenaut I think. Unless I decide I need something before I'm able to spend that much, I'll get a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. I'll check out that Acoustic though.
    Until then I play out of my huge Peavey bass amp (sounds pretty cool cause my Jazzy is really bassy) or my little Fender Champion 30

11. Peavey Windsor amps are nice tube tone, for relatively cheap n

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

12. woah this looks really nice, thanks for the input man.

13. They are Asian made, so not the most road durable amp, but as long as you check your tube sockets and be somewhat gentle with it, it should last years no problem. All of the Windsors take pedals like a boss, so if you have some badass distortion or overdrive, it really goes. I also recommend changing the stock tubes, they are generic and mediocre at best.

14. I'm not saying I need a new amp or anything, but I think we can all agree that it'd be pretty cool to find an old used Marshall from the 60's that's been well maintained... A boy can dream

15. You would be in probably double of what its worth for the vintage stuff. My buddies dad has an old fender amp, he paid large $$ Most modern stuff will sound as good for a lot less. Stuff like blackstar ht5, or the new vox ac10 really open up some hardcore tone for a good price.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years. I learned on my dad's Martin D28 when I was a kid, mostly playing the folky, open-chord stuff he plays. I have a unique style / understanding in that I have absolutely no knowledge of music theory whatsoever. I don't even know the names of the chords. I play totally by eye, ear & heart. I've been in a total of two bands over the years. The first one was a hardcore punk band (a REAL hardcore band....this was in the 90's) in high school that only played one show and never recorded. The second band was a few years ago, and we had some moderate local success. They continue to play and are doing really well. Got themselves on some comps and are signed to a small label. It just wasn't for me though, so I quit.

17. I've been playing for like seven years. Self taught. I have a fender stratocaster (mexi) and a Marshall 100 watt dfx amp. My pedals are a basic digitech multi effect pedal I bought from a kid at school when I first started playing, an electro harmonix big muff pi, Dunlop crybaby, a boss tremolo, and a boss flanger.

I play a lot of different stuff, but I'm really into trying to develop a nice shogaze sound.

18. Cool to see other players!! I never have a chance to talk guitar with anyone, and i do mean anyone, cant stand that

Anyways, im self taught for 8 years, had several pretyy decent guitars 87 charvel model 3a, shecter c1 hellraiser, ibanez s470dxqm, s520, artist 7 string, all gone now.. loving my 74 ibanez concord 756 (gibson heritage copy lawsuit) and a beauty in the works that needs some serious repair from being stored in a barn with string tension for at least 30 years.. a 1917 gibson L4 (the gibson) with original case. i play mostly blues, folk, rock, not metal so much anymore..

Never had a jam session, played along with songs but like to do my own thing these days.. favorite song to play? Over the hills and far away or any acoustic AIC that never gets old!!

your only as free as you think you are

19. Playing since 12, I'm now 21. I currently own 2 Martin acoustics, a Hagstrom Viking, Epiphone Lucille, Gold Tone square neck dobro, both a Tele and Strat, and a few random things like an old classical, a mandolin, a lap steel and a banjo somewhere as well. I'm currently playing almost blues exclusively and actually bought myself the Buddy Guy crybaby way pedal last weekend so that's been fun.

If there's anyone who's willing to jam with a chick in Alberta Canada hmu

20. Sweet, a guitar thread!

New phone so insta is the only place I have photos. Here's my rig. And my Shecter that's so modded it's not really a shecter anymore. Can't find pics of my new Tele but if you go on ig @josh_a_wa there's plenty of videos of me playing random things :)

Attached Files: