Guitar Players...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by BigYellowJoint, Oct 12, 2008.

1. ...when'dya start playing guitar and for how long?

Started at seventeen. Been playing four years now. :)

2. Started at 14, been playin almost 7 years now.. Infact 7 years at the end of this month

3. I started at 10 ...so 12 years now:D
    And it gets better every year..so fun

4. Started at 11...7 years strong:)

5. Ah! "Girls With GUITARS"!!! :hello:

Started at 14 and I am almost 45. Play a Taylor Grand Auditorium 614 CE.
    Although, I went through many guitars before I got this one almost 10 years ago.

:smoke:

6. started at 14, 6 years

love it more every day.

play mostly electric

7. started at 13 or 14 so about 5 or 6 year i guess...i just tell ppl around 5 cuz there was a long period between the time i started and now that i just didnt play at all.

8. started when i was 14-15 been playin 5 years i recon

fuck knows who/what i would have been had i never picked up this beautiful instrument

try n jam atleast every day

sometimes when your just not in the mood tho, it can really effect the music and i can't get into it anywhere near as much and so it is best left

weed sorts that out instantly though

peace

9. I had a very long and diverse background with music so i decided to pick up the guitar in college. dicked around for 2+ years on a 40 year old classical, finally bought an electric guitar(epiphone les paul standard with a cherry burst flat top) and had my very first guitar lesson today. we're doing note reading, which is good but it means I won't be playiing really fun music for at least a month. hopefully i'll be a better musician for it.
    as an addition to the OPs question, how many of you learned on your own? do you read music or just tabs? how long were you playing before you felt confident enough to play with other people?
    rock on!

10. i'm self-taught. i don't read music, but i do know a good bit of theory.

i wasn't comfortable or confident playing around others until i forced myself to do it a few times. finding the right people to play with is also pretty important-- i had a good group of friends, many were musicians

you can learn the boring stuff and basics at the same time as you learn fun stuff. as far as my practice routine goes, after years of change and development i've arrived at what... for the time being at least, seems to work the best for me.
    in order to maximize my improvement as a guitarist, i have to make time to play something fun, maybe something familiar... on top of all the new, tough stuff i'm learning.

so i definitely wouldn't recommend just making your guitar a complete chore for a month. when you're just beginning to play, if i remember correctly... playing is a chore enough as it is. you don't wanna completely take away any possibility for you to enjoy yourself-- considering love of the instrument and music is what should motivate any guitarist to sustain practice.

11. Started at 16 and been loving it for 7 years now, playing mainly acoustic.

12. Started guitar at 12, started hittin the reefer at 12 1/2, played one big ass weekend till I got here...24 ^_^

I play just about everything...on the weekends me and my chronies chill around a fire, and sing anything you can sing with an accoustic. Mainly country, and alt.rock like staind...on the weekdays I bang out some metal, blues, hard rock, anything really

-Peace from the southeast

13. I dont really count as a guitar player at all because I just started playing about 4 months ago. Im starting out learning the blues because it seemed like a good place to start. Ive been playing mandolin for about 3 years though and I know a bit of theory and how to read music. Im definitely looking forward to a long life of guitar playing though. Its a lot of fun.

14. Definitely get into it bro once you get to know some of your favorite songs it gets really awesome. Good call learning blues first there the most basic scales, just practice them and you'll start to build up speed and just learn to maneuver notes throught the fret board without changing keys and fucking up.

15. The guitar is a musical instrument with ancient roots that is used in a wide variety of musical styles. It typically has six strings, but four, seven, eight, ten and twelve string guitars also exist.Guitars are recognized as one of the primary instruments in blues, country, flamenco, rock music, and many forms of pop.
    ==============================
    Kyle
    Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
    4thdimension1@gmail.com

16. I started around age 9 and went until about 13, but never really cared for it and was turned off by lessons. I started again a couple years ago (16.5), and am finally settling into playing a low-tuned 12 string in a very chordy fashion. I'm probably not learning the "right" way as I don't care for theory or emulating other people, but I enjoy what I'm doing.

17. #17 looper, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
    Started late in high school and stopped after college, picked up a Martin acoustic and Les Paul in the last 6 years and don't understand why I ever stopped. Want to get a strat and a tube amp next.

18. started playing when i was 14. i've been playing for 2 years now and i play heavy metal like lamb of god, pantera, and dethklok.

19. That makes you more of a guitar player than someone who just emulates others sound in my opinion..

20. [​IMG]