Guitar player.

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by UncommonCold, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Ok so I recently just started playing guitar and have decided to embark on the self taught journey. Right now I am teaching myself by making up my own songs (I store them all in my mind) and learn the occasional tab off the internet. Is this a good enough method to practice playing guitar?

2. Yea definitely is. Just try to learn as many songs and chord progressions as you can and you'll start to figure out what "works" (theory).

3. Just remember there is a wealth of instructional vids on the web for playing! I mean LOADS. Not only songs but theory too. One of my favourite reasons for using youtube.

And good luck, guitar is great :)

4. yeah man the web has got anything + any the anwer to almost any questions. if you need any help also send me a pm, i'm always here to help.

5. This is how I first started to learn guitar until my experience changed and my playing matured. I find the best advice is: Learn all chords, their keys, scales, and harmonies. If you can learn and memorize chords- you will be sweeping arpeggios in no time, just like petrucci! ;)

6. yeah chords are a great way to learn thats how i started.

7. It's always cool to hear about somebody that's picking up a new instrument. I hope you're enjoying guitar as much as I did when I began to play. Learning other people's songs is a great way to start, and playing along with those songs will really help you with timing, strumming patterns and things of that nature. It's not always interesting to watch instructional videos, even though they provide good information, but I think the best way to learn is to experience the music itself.

8. yeah i guess you could use the web. your best bet is to sit in your room all day, and strum.

9. Would it matter if I were playing just making things up as I go along and just jamming, even if it sounded kinda terrible. As long as im familiarizing myself with the guitar and stuff?