guitar help

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Wakadoozicle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. OHYEAH GO TO THE WEBSITE, "ULITMATE guitar.com. Sign up and become a member and post in the forums. message me your new profile name and Ill help you man.

2. I'm looking to "clean up," as it were, my guitar technique. Like a cleaner pick attack and playing with more fluidity. I need to work on my timing as well. any advice?

3. ^Do you know how to alternate pick? Thats a start but if you already know how you can practice scales and progressively build up the speed of the scales. You can make your pick attack cleaner and faster like that. For better timing try playing with a click track or metronome and if you know songs play with them so your on the same time and get a better feel for it.

4. thanks man :D. And yes I can alternate pick but I've kind of neglected the kind of practice to build my technique.

5. @Oldschooltoker.

What I suggest you do for fluid picking as well as cleaning pick attack is to practice every new piece or any piece on a clean amp setting (without distorion). Why? Because when you do that you can hear all the Nuances in your playing plus, with distorion on you are just covering up your mistakes which you cant really hear. Also practice along to a metronome set to a speed you are comfortable with.
    If you get to a point where you feel you are stuck at a certain speed, bump up the speed by 2-5bpm. This'll will give you the stamina to do so fluidly at faster speeds. This will cause you to become sloppy. When you are done with the fast exercises... do it again at a slower pace.

Do chromatic run-ons which will get all your fingers a working. Do every exercise forward then switch it around and do it backward's forward. Then backward's forward. Also when doing fast or intricate pieces use ECONOMY PICKING. Sometimes you dont need to pick all the note. You could just hammer-on or Pull-off without picking THEREFORE Maintaining efficiency and fluidity.

6. what are you trying to learn? Acoustic or electric? Acoustic i would start with chords which is fairly simple to pick up with practice everyday and can help with electric to. Learning guitar is like going to the gym, you work out multiple muscles not just one. To learn fast on guitar make a training schedule. Learn a few scales,chords, songs, techniques and theory. Practice a section of each everyday and within a year you will be surprised. Guitar is not for everyone though. you need to have the drive for it

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HqyV2LN40]jack link's - guitar - YouTube[/ame]

8. Idk I didn't read all the replies but I learned off of some DVDs. One is something rock by house of blues and the others are a 3 set called metal guitar for beginners or something like that... If you're interested I can get the actual names. But I'm sure any DVD would work. I used those, and after learning to read tabs I learned a lot by the Metallica tab books and YouTube when I didn't know a technique.

9. Who are your influences on the guitar everybody?

Mine are Eric Clapton, Paul Kosoff, George Harrison, John fogerty, Ritchie blackmore, Robbie Krieger, Jeff beck, and of course mr james Patrick page.

10. Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, Shawn Lane, EVH

11. Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Mike Bloomfield, Frank Zappa

Great, now I feel like playing the guitar

12. Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Chuck Berry, Angus Young, Bob Dylan, Neil Young

13. I'm not a big fan of players like bucket head and the like. Sure, they can play really fast. Meanwhile all subtlety and phrasing goes out the window. playing fast is impressive, and sounds cool, so I appreciate their talent but I prefer feeling. David Gilmore can say more with 1 note than Some shredders can say in 10 sweep picks. Not to mention they all use a shitload of distortion which doesnt let the natural tone of the guitar stand out.

Except randy rhoads. He was incredible.

14. ^True Gilmour is the man but he uses mad distortion too its just he does it tastefully. Buckethead rocks though I've seen him twice its just a difference of styles. Then you got guys like Eric Johnson and Shawn Lane that do the best of both worlds they can shred but they're very melodic at the same time.

15. got to have dedication, just start playing if you cant figure it out then its not for you xD
    played for 6 years now myself and all self taught i can play several albums back to front but improvisation has still remains and it will always be a self motivated art, but dont start playing in over your head, start with the basics and then you will have a good foundation for your skill

IMHO start playing WISH YOU WERE HERE by pink floyd that is all you will ever need to know haha
    wish i didnt pawn my guitar but i am getting it this friday finally >:D

16. sing doe ray me in the correct tones inside your head or outloud and find with 1 finger where those tones are on the guitar bam your playing guitar,over time you just get better at finding the sounds on the guitar to match the sounds inside your head faster and faster till it sounds like cool music!

17. [quote name='"Tokeup2day"']

Going from chord to chord is a bitch[/quote]

Only if you suck. Do not learn tabs. They don't teach u anything and are usually wrong. Learn chords..open,bar,inversions,7ths. Then learn circle of 5ths and understand it. Learn the I IV V progression. Once you do that things start to fall into place.

18. [quote name='"tackthecack"']i think the hardest thing is getting a sweet tone.....guess i would say that after 7 years on the cheap strat copy though...at least big muff makes it sound half decent[/quote]

The key to good tone is NOT the guitar. It's the amp,and more specifically a tube amp. I have some cheapo guitars that sound like a million bucks...its all about your technique and amp.

19. [quote name='"dealwithit"']also what is the difference between the solid black dot and just the circle(empty) under where it says g major
    [/quote]

Black dots are the root notes of the chord...G in this case.

20. Ive been playing acoustic on and off for around 6 years. Im not comparable to I ought to be a direct result of not rehearsing ordinary. The most effortless approach to begin is adapt so standard harmonies and simply strum and figure out how to exchange from one to the other. Whatever you do, dont surrender or youll never learn.

Musirank.com - Best Musical Instruments Reviews buyer's guide