Guitar Amps????????

Discussion in 'General' started by mellowyellow420, Oct 14, 2010.

1. So ive got $400 to spend on music equipment so ive decided to get a new amp and effects pedal. Im looking to save some of this money and not spend all of it. Ive already decided on getting a Boss ML2 metalcore pedal but im between these 3 amps. The all tube Bugera V5 5 watt tube amp, the Kustom Defender 5 watt tube halfstack, and the Raven RG60 60 watt solid state amp. The Bugera and Raven are both $150 and the halfstack is $200 while the pedal is $90. So which amp should i get also the amp needs to be able to be heard over drums.

ps Im in a deathcore/punk band if that helps in your decision

2. #2 Carl Weathers, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    Definitely go for a tube amp. And fuck that pedal... Don't touch BOSS guitar pedals. I'd go on ebay and spend all the money on the best tube amp you can get, one with an overdrive channel so you get tube distortion. Keep it analogue.

Yeah that pedal sounds like crap. Why do you want it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-ROC...ultDomain_0&hash=item53e4108c51#ht_500wt_1156

I would be going for something like that man, and forget digital distortion/effects pedals, or anything with BOSS written on it. And maybe get a tube change as soon as you can afford, to put in some JJ tubes. Then you'll be DEATHcore. Your drummer will have to worry about being heard over you.

Sorry if my opinion doesn't really fit into the plans you were honing in on, but I can honestly say what you are looking at now would be a complete waste of $400. For that amount of money you should just buy second hand, or you wont get anything worthwhile.

3. This. Tube amps kick the living shit out of solid state. Hybrid amps aren't bad either.:cool: