Guitar Amps??????

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by mellowyellow420, Oct 13, 2010.

1. So ive got $400 to spend on music equipment so ive decided to get a new amp and effects pedal. Im looking to save some of this money and not spend all of it. Ive already decided on getting a Boss ML2 metalcore pedal but im between these 3 amps. The all tube Bugera V5 5 watt tube amp, the Kustom Defender 5 watt tube halfstack, and the Raven RG60 60 watt solid state amp. The Bugera and Raven are both $150 and the halfstack is $200 while the pedal is $90. So which amp should i get also the amp needs to be able to be heard over drums.

ps Im in a deathcore/punk band if that helps in your decision

2. I've heard good things about the sound of Bugeras but bad things about their quality and construction. If you go for it make sure to get some kind of warranty.

3. You talking about some class a tube amps? Like those 5 watters that'll scream like a 100 watt?

I dunno man. I'd stay away from effects pedals. If you like metal, look for an old peavey 5150, I think they have the same amp new but w/ different numbers now. Also, you might look at an old jcm800 marshall or a jcm900, (particularly the super lead).

I don't have alot of reason to make alot of noise, so I just run a 1x12 60w all tube jcm2000 tsl601. They make a 2x12 version of it. It's versatile and does several things very well, and you certainly wouldn't need a distortion pedal.

Now here's some serious boutique shit that you may be able to order. I can tell you that I've played through quite a few of these and they're bad ass.
    SAMAMP

I'd definitely use the $400 as a down payment on an honest to god bad ass mofing amp.

4. thanks for the advice but unfortunately theres no way i can afford one of those boutique amps any time soon and im still split between my choices

5. I've also heard bad things about Bugera's breaking down. I've always like Crate as far as solid state. Great, thick saturation on the GFX1200, GFX-65 DSP amps. I prefer metal and they do the trick. The tube 5 watt amps scream but you'll need the pedal for metal I think. Test drive a Crate.

6. TUBES Baby!!!!!:hello:

7. for metal, i'd say look into the 5150s. you can find a decent one right around your price range. i've also heard that the jet city amps are not bad. they are designed by mike soldano but reasonably priced. also, check your local craigslist frequently. you might find something in your area that fits the bill