Guinea pig poop compost/tea better then rabbit manure?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by thunderbuddys, Jul 31, 2013.

1. first off ive been doing a little research on the subject and found some interesting info so far.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/48344-A-poopy-question?p=451437&viewfull=1#post451437

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/guinea-pig-manure.htm

i found a bunch of these all over the place on google and the second link even has a tea recipe!! i have three pigs and ive been throwing away this perfect nute for 2 years! gunna make some tea for current plants and compost for next seasons!

if you have some guinea pigs save that poo! ive got mine in with wood shavings so i can use everything.

btw only issue im finding is that everything is saturated with urine but it should be fine in a tea!

2. well a little update.

tea is done and whoa! 2in of growth overnight?! btw i put the lights on overnight

in the event that my plant would really like the new tea i rearranged my lights and put them about 3in away on all sides. now this isnt a proper experiment, i mean i did move the lights and that might have been the reason for the explosive growth or couldve added but still this new tea ive tried made of guinea pig bedding/waste is making a real difference so far.

i did 3 teaspoons per 1L and my girl is loving it with no issues so far. gunna go up a dose next feeding and maybe add some molassess too!

also im in about week 2 of flowering so far and i know that from veg to flower plants can triple in size so that is also adding to the growth

3. Great post, I'm glad my pigs can be of some use for my plants.   I plan on growing some tomatoes and regular grass in my garden alongside my weed for them to eat, never thought of fertilizing their food with their own poops!

I really recommend letting them have floortime.  Poops are easy to find and pick up that way.  Also, depending on your guinea pigs personality, some will make giant stacks of poops while even just lounging around on the couch or bed.  I think that may just be my old male who is lazy and picky about how fresh they need to be for reingestion.

I'm adding a little disclaimer to this thread as I've seen it in a few other guinea pig threads:

I looked for a few threads about using my guinea pigs poop for fertilizer and have seen the misinformation about feeding them alfalfa and would like to correct you for the sake of guinea pig health if anyone should read this post in the future.
    \nDO NOT FEED GUINEA <span style="background-color:#FFFF00;">PIGS ALFALFA BASED FOOD OR HAY</span>
    \nSorry, this might be good for your plants, but it's very bad for guinea <span style="background-color:#FFFF00;">pigs.  Unless your guinea pig is a juvenile or pregnant/nursing mother, alfalfa-based diet is a big no no.  Guinea pigs need a timothy hay based diet for most of their lives or they risk bladder stones from the wrong ratio of nutrients in their diets.  Bladder stones are very common in guinea pigs and can result in undue pain and death.</span>
    \nAdditionally, do not change their type of bedding to cedar or any wood high in aromatic oils just to get a better compost.  Guinea pigs are very prone to respiratory diseases.  I'm not too happy about myself using kiln-dried pine, but I keep a low amount of bedding in the cage and they do not dig into it very much.  My pen is about 11.5sqft.  Non-kiln dried pine is pretty high in aromatics.  I used to use aspen, but have yet to find a small chunk chip after moving.  The size of the chips in all the brands I can find tend to be too big for good enough odor-control.  
    \nHemp bedding is really nice, but hard to find.  Now THAT would be pretty neat to use to fertilize your plants!
    \nAnother helpful tip is if you have a fishtank that is already well-cycled, you are probably doing partial water changes once a week or so.  That water is chock full of great nutrients and nitrogen for your plants.  Make sure to test it before using it just to be sure it is not too high in any one thing.