Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Guide to Dealing with Anxiety/Panic Attacks, and Paranoia

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by weedidas, Feb 25, 2009.

1. :( I thought you were going to help me with my anxiety disorder...

2. i didnt even read the description, too fuckin long.

1 word(and i bet its already been said)... XANAX, KLONOPIN, or VALIUM

theyre addictive but theyre garunteed to work.
    try just straight up getting active, work out. proper breathing, eat right, just take care of urself the best u can physically, and ull feel good mentally aswell. meditation also works, it just takes practice.

3. Good guide! lots of people should read it, really helpful.
    BUMP! :D

4. According to my neighbors, there's a strain called "Flow" that's supposed to be very good at helping with anxiety.

I'll probably check it out and report back. I have problems with anxiety, and the wrong strain will send me to the moon.

5. Well weed does cause anxiety in my experiences but after awhile you become accustomed to it and realize it's just in your head and the anxiety levels go down, it seems to teach your brain anxiety managing skills when you're sober too, I guess I can't post this as a fact it's just what I kinda noticed based on my own marijuana and alcohol use, detoxing on alcohol used to be hell because of the anxiety, now it really isn't bad. It's all psychological. So it's both for me, it causes anxiety, but it in the end heals anxiety I guess, lol.

6. "A panic attack as a result of cannabis use has some unique symptoms to it that you should be aware of. A racing heartbeat, or the feeling that you are going to have a heart attack, is one of the most commonly reported effects. Another heart related symptom is being able to feel your heart beat throughout your entire body, like a pounding almost."

I thought this was the enjoyment of being high lol:hello: my first time i could feel my heart pounding through my body and i thought it was amazing :D

7. If I have anxiety, I smoke more indica.

8. Ive been looking for a good guide to dealing with anxiety and panic attacks from smoking, and this has answered all my questions... Great job!

9. Hmmm. This was very good for me to read.
    I'm Emetophobic [fear of puke/puking] and a few months it ago it started to get really bad again. I've been smoking weed for about two years, was chronic for about six months when eventually more and more i was having, what I now realise must be, panic attacks whenever I blazed. I've stopped getting high because I can no longer have a pleasant experience.
    I miss it so bad, especially having my bong sit alone in my closet :(
    I'm trying to work my way up with joints and pipes, hopefully things will get better.
    I'm not sure what else to do though.

10. Everytime i smoke now i get really paranoid that my heart is beating too slow, that my heart is beating strangely or out of order, or when i put my hand on my chest i can barely feel my heartbeat at all... Is this just normal anxiety, and can i keep smoking? Or should i stop??

11. God damn, there is literally a guide for everything on this Forum.

12. man i thought that was the point of smokin... my heart feels like its pounding really hard and like my body goes numb... i get scared sometimes when happens but my freind told me to just think of all the good things in my life... i think that helped me alot

13. So I got high two days and I am still feeling the effects of being high plus others (feeling weird, out of it, stomach pain, shaky at times, numbness at times, etc) and I am wondering is this the "afterglow" or "phantom high"?

i have felt a bit out of yesterday and then i was sweating and the feeling increased and hasn't gone down since yesterday.

So can anyone please explain this and how long it will last. Also what is the best thing to do(if anything) to speed up this process?

14. Honestly I use weed to get rid of anxiety lol, I get so fucked up cause my parents are always fighting that I can't hear nothin around me. I usually get on couch lock and go to sleep, and when I wake up if my mothers at work everythings a little brighter. BTW if you have an anxiety attack with weed don't take xanax or alporazalam I made that mistake one time never again, I damn near passed out on the floor and woke up excited as hell and ready to kill someone. Just do what this guy says, sit or lie down watch tv, listen to music, just try taking your mind off of it and breath heavily but slowly cause it aint that bad you'll find once you learn to deal with it you become a happier brighter person if you use it in other situations also :)

15. hmmm, better late than never for a thread reply, eh? i thought it'd be a good idea even tho this post is so old, because i have the same problem. but i also occasionally have it when i'm not high; it's called heart palpitations. getting high can cause changes to your heart rhythms - it can slow down heart rate, speed it up, or even cause it to beat erratically. all of that is pretty much safe, the only caveats being if you have really high blood pressure (diagnosed by a doctor) or have clogged arteries. otherwise, racing heart and your heart skipping/adding beats irregularly are annoying and obviously worrying, but ultimately harmless. weed causes this in me sometimes, but it's also something that runs in my family. interestingly, these effects can actually be caused by pot, but also pot can make you *think* it's happening when it really isnt. most of the time it makes you more aware of your heart beat.. so when you get distracted from it for a second, you get a bit freaked out. no big deal. i know those feelings suck and can completely ruin your high, so i try to tell people any time i can.

you can absolutely keep smoking. you should be careful about what types of weed you smoke, as indicas or indica-dominant strains are much, much better for people prone to any anxiety than sativas. you may not have the luxury of knowing the name of your strain, but you can do a little test run when you get a pickup, and if it's not something that can help you mellow out, pass it on to a friend and grab something else. in my personal experience smoking "schwag" (the cheapest of the cheap) or even mid-grade is waaaaay more likely to cause ill effects. it's most likely because if it's lower quality, it was likely not processed with much care. that can mean an inadequate jar cure, harvesting too early.. etc. which affects the ratio of certain cannabinoids, including THC.

see if you can track down some kind of "kush" strain. some of the best dope out there, and much higher in CBD, which is another cannabinoid. it modulates the effects of THC by preferring to bind with CB receptors responsible for causing the undesired effects. since CBD has very few psychoactive properties itself, the receptors aren't actually activated, but rather are simply occupied, meaning THC cannot attach itself. the THC then only has the receptors which induce more pleasant feelings on which to attach and stimulate. in other words, more CBD means a much slower, mellow, relaxing high. there are other cannabinoids with the ability to modulate the effects of THC too, which is why different strains of pot can have dramatically different effects.

16. I've smoked for almost ten years and have had hundreds, I kid you not, hundreds of bad trips, paranoid trips, panick attacks, and times where I flushed my stash, broke my glass, and swore I would never smoke again. So why did I end up smoking despite all this, because the anxiety happened only like 50% of the time, and the other 50 percent was great! I have been diagnosed with ADD and I'm not pretty damn sure the reason I have so many probs with MJ is because it aggrivates and brings to surface mental issues under the surface. I know that I have to not get to high, and be very careful about my MJ use or I will automatically have a very bad panick attack where I think I have cancer or what sounds like crazy stuff, but at the time, feels very real. People who have never had panick attacks can never ever understand the level of intense fear and panick involved. It's such a morbid feeling, it feels like life and death. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And I know for a fact MJ triggers it in me, I've never had anything like this while sober or from any other type of drug including shrooms and LSD. But this took me near a decade to figure out, and now I'm able to use MJ responsibly and minimize the bad trips. I'm a weird case, an extreme case of this. I think I'm like on the far end of the anxiety spectrum for sure!

17. Thank you for this. well written, and im sure much of it will come in handy

18. Great info! Thanks for this references... :)

19. The worst is when your anxiety swallows you physically.. Like being anxious about breathing. Breathing would be a great technique for calming down if the second I started concentrating on it I didn't lose a sense of in / out and how much air is in my lungs or is not in my lungs. It sounds insane but this is a constant for me, sometimes cannabis REALLY helps and other times it REALLY makes me lose my mind in a bad way. It can become literally impossible for me NOT to focus on my breathing and I absolutely cannot relax. But this happens to me when I'm not high sometimes too.

The part about adrenaline and cannabis was really interesting, I never put that together but after reading it I really wonder if the adrenaline is what makes me go into panic-mode, that would explain it happening with or without cannabis. I WISH I LIVED SOMEWHERE WITH MEDICAL SO I COULD GET SOME HIGH CBN LOW THC STUFF, WHEN I'VE HAD THE CHANCE TO GET SOME IT DOES WONDERS.

20. Nice content! Thanks for the infos :)