guidance needed

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by newbeee, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Ive tried to stay out of the fert thing because to be honest I didnt use them, first two batches came out ok. like Vato says
    KISS (keep it simple stupid) however that being said I have been gravitating twords using them, Ill put in my 2 cents but im a newbie 2. dont fert for at least the first 3-4weeks, use sparingly, if leaves start to get brown spots lay off, 10-10-10 is supposed to be a good veg fert. some people on this and high times forum say use a 20-20-20 for flower or something with higher P in it like 10-20-10 only thing I no for sure is everyone is using something a little differeant!

2. Oh ya and the heat thing......
    your going to just have to keep an eye on it, keep a cheap thermometer in there. sounds like that fan should do it, I think I know what kind u got. If u can keep ur temp between 70-80 ur right on the money. Mine will creep up to 85 when it gets hot and I dosent seem to bother em any I heard they can tolerate up to 90 if its a hardy strain.

good luck

3. It's all coming along good. How far should I hang the light from the plants. I am thinking of 20" inches or so. I am so excited about this little setup. I'm going to lay off the fert. for the first 3 weeks and then introduce it gradually and then get another fert for flowering. I have to check wal-mart for that later. I have a thermometer and I will monitor this new setup for at least two days. I have only the roof and the front door to cover up. Untill the nest update ...peace!

4. Ya 20" sounds like a good place to start if they start to stretch to much lower the light a little, my 250HPS runs 18" above tops..I hold my hand right above the tops if its not to hot then its ok

Have u thought about getting a conversion bulb? The MH will get u by but a HPS would be nice if its in the budget, either way its going to be a hell of lot better than flouros!

5. That saying's been around since before I was born, right BPP?

As for ferts, 20-20-20 is fine for vegging but don't use what's recommended on the box, use 1/4 that. So if it says use 2 tablespoons for first dosage use half a teaspoon or something.
    BTW you can keep that 250 lower...to about a foot. Just as long as the fans are osciliating over the tops of the plants and the bulb you'll be alright...and if you've got a remote ballast on your HPS then see how far you can keep it away from the plants...maybe outside the room?

6. Thanks Vato, but I got an all in one ballast and lamp combo,
    I was eyeing the seperate ballast but went with the all in one for budget and availability reasons, still I couldnt be happier Ive noticed a BIG differance in budding the last 1 1/2wks, I will keep an eye on the light an see if I can lower it alittle.

7. Everything completed. The light I have is this http://www.wormsway.com/Store/wormcart.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MHSL125&Category_Code=ALITEAE Please check it out and tell me if this is good for veg. I also got a seperate bulb and HPS one that the guy at the shop said is good for flowering. Will that be ok? Keeping the temperature down is the most difficult thing. If I close the closet it gets really hot. But I hate to keep it open because there is too much light in the room. The dual fan is set to exhaust all the air from inside. There is also another fan on top that removes the hot air inside. Even with this setup, the temperature is around 85 F and if I close the door i'm sure it climb back upto 90's . Anyone have an idea on how I can reduce the inside temperature ?

Thanks everyone.

8. Ya sounds like you got plenty of lights!, you have all those fans venting out? you need to have an equal amount of in and out. Only thing else I can suggest is useing computer fans 12volt. There cheap and easy to wire up (let me know if you need help) thats what i use there quiet and move alot of air. people are going to tell you that 90 is to hot but if thats the best u can do go with it. just make sure your electrical stuff, lights ext cords, timers and any wiring is all done safely i use extra chain on my light for safety. no amount of bud is worth your life

good luck

9. mmm temp is my prob as well fortunately for me i can leave the grow room open as it's into a closed hall.......but i do know that most plants can take temps upto 95, if they are supplemented by co2, but that will set you back some money for a bottle of co2, and you have to make sure you don't over do it....!...........Peace out.........Sid

10. Yes I dont want to beat the KISS thing to death but it is really TRUE. My first 3 batches put out buds under these conditions.......

*6- 4' cool white flouros

*NO fertilizers

*In a closet with no outside ventilation just a box fan blowing around the same stale hot air.

*90-100 deg in there in summer

*seed bag beans

*probably overwatering most the time

Now, I DO NOT, reccomend this set up, but the point is it got me by while I learned the ropes. I dont plan on trying to win any Cannibus Cup Awards but I managed to grow decent smoke for myself.

11. Hey Nikkidog11 I would like to learn some more info on wiring up them 12volt computer fans.... sounds interesting and I have a bunch at my work laying around!!!

Thanx in advance..

Pitt

12. Tools required- Fans,12 volt adaptor,small gauge wire, small wire nuts, wire stripper, holesaw (optional)

**DONT WORK ON THIS WHILE PLUGGED IN!!!**

Ok get a hold of some 12volt computer fans, then get a 120VOLT to 12VOLT adaptor,(radio shack or one laying around the house) like the kind you use to charge your cell phone, make sure the adapter is rated for the total # of amps the fans will draw, mine draw .32 ea. so a 1 or 1.5 amp adaptor is fine. Cut off what ever plug happens to be on the end of the adaptor (dont plan on ever returning it if it dosent work) using small wire nuts and oh 18-20 gauge wire hook em up, if it dosent run reverse the wires so the polarity works. thats pretty much it. I got 3 1/2" fans and used a 3 1/2" holesaw to cut vent holes in discreet locations. (dont try this if your not the one payin the rent and cant reverse your work) I got one venting warm air out into the attic and one venting cool fresh air in from an adjacent closet. Oh yea get fan covers if you can, there cheap and will keep things out like big bugs, dust and nosy pets.

Mine works great, Ill post pics when I get around to gettin a digital camera as I mentioned in my other post when you start wiring stuff custom like this, be careful and do it right dont mess around and do somethin halfass its not worth it

13. I'm going to try the computer house fans thing . Going to get a adapter from radio shack. any idea how many fans a single adapter can handle ?

On the otherhand, I have replanted the little plants and they seemed to be a little dull and sad for losing the old nesting ground, but I know my babies will fight through and come out victorious. Untill the nest post, have fun!

14. Hang in there you dont have to throw money at it to make it work. Practice and you will keep getting better, I know it sucks waiting, anywho your question about the fans, remember what i said? You should probably look at them and see how much amperage the draw,I run 2 fans, mine draw .32 amps each so I would get something like 1 or 1 1/2amp, **actually** now that I think about it mine is made by Radio Shack and its adjustable it goes from 1.5volt to 12volt the fans need at least 3volts to run but the cool thing about my set up is I can variable speed them with lower voltage. bad news is I think that adaptor was really expensive, you can get single voltage much cheaper if you do get a straight 120v to 12v with enough amp rating just tell them your going to use it for your cell phone

Let me know how you do
    good luck

My 3 NL clones are 2 weeks away from harvest!!!!

15. Thanks for the info. I did a test closing the closet and the box completely for 3 hours and the temperature inside the box was around 83 F. I know some of you will tell me that this is too high, anyway, if I open the closet door with little light coming out, it will go down to around 75 - 80 F just like that. I know its not a matter of getting more fans, its a matter of getting more fresh air into the closet. Anyone any clever ideas ? I don't want to damage the closet door, but if someone has a plan to work around this, please let me know.

The plants are getting very short and stout ..and bushier...LOL

Peace!

16. Sweeet....

I followed your computer fans guide... and Im getting great results.... I got one that converts... ahs switches for dif settings, Im running three cpu fans from it...Im now able to keep the temp at a constant 79..

Thanxx man... I really apprciate it... it made a hell of a difference....

Pitt

17. No problem glad to help.

If you can keep it between 70-90 in the summer thats not that bad, people will tell u it needs to be 70-80 but my old set up would get to 100 at times and they made it.
    As far as fresh air you need to open the door everyday for as long as you can to air em out

good luck

18. since ur talking about set-ups, here is what mine looks like.
    The way she was describing her set-up reminded me of mine, so i took some pictures.. The box is not very big, as u can see it sits on one of those small refrigerators and its 2 foot 4 inches tall and 2 feet wide.. that thing u see on top of the box is so that i can forse more air to circulate in the box.. and on the other side of it i have like 4 holes to help it vent.. it stays like 82dg all day. sometimes it gets a little higher but then goes rite back down..

Attached Files:

19. Yeah.... I keep the door slightly cracked... to let the fresh air come in....

do you know anything about lights?

I just picked up a Coralife Trichromatic 100% daylight... its a 24" flour. tube, the box of it says it promotes plant growth like a mothefukah....

we'll see what happens, though....

this is my second plant, first one died...

so I have (2) 40w trichromatic lights flour.
    (2) 40w plant grow flour.
    (1) 100w HPS

do you think this is good for just one plant???

my only big problem is keeping humidity up... I live in the desert and its really really dry out here...

Pitt

20. this is what it looks like on the inside.. the 2 lights u see in the back are 65w each, and the one on top pushes 500w, its a work light made by LIGHTS OF AMERICA, i got it at Wal-mart.. the light u see to the left is a floro bulb that pushes 30w.. im getting more lights for when i flower n do the 12/12 thing.. this is my 1st grow, the reason that plant is alove is because of these guys helping me.. just read Post like i do and take notes.. it works

Attached Files: