Guerrilla in the trees

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Backwoodsgreen, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in the southwest, and he tells me that he grows in the forest, in trees... My first reaction was just to dismiss it, but upon deeper conversation he might be onto something...

His setup involves a tall tree with a seclusive canopy, tree climbers gear, camo tape for pots, a small hand saw, and some thick line for securing, all purchased for less than 200$(tree climbers gear is apparently not too cheap).... He says he climbs his tree, secures 10 gallon pots at the highest sturdy location and cuts away the top center of the tree's canopy.

Now as I said, while we had this conversation, I'm thinkin 'jeez this guys nuts.' But I actually weighed the scenario out and it might actually be viable...

I figure that the cons are pretty self evident...
    -Labor intensive
    -highly suspect location for wind damage
    -Requires extra gear
    -Fear of falling(for plants and people)

But when I actually considered the pros...
    -Extremely well hidden
    -Terrific sun availability in deep, thick forest
    -Plants may be allowed to grow extensivly larger

This is when I figured it out... To use this method you would definatly need a security first mindset, as nothing else could justify hiking soil and water straight up a tree(still sounds crazy).

So I had to come here with this... Has anyone ever considered a method like this? Do you think there may be more or less pros or cons than the obvious stuff i've come up with? I thinks we need to have a discussion!

2. Unless you can rig together some automatic watering system climbing up a tree daily to water seems highly suspect and not worth the effort. I'm sure if you wanted a long term grow site you could build in a tree and above it have you're resavore full of watering that would be gravity fed and turn on a couple times a day to drip on them. All you would need to do is refill that res every so often. But the amount of work seems pretty unnecessary when you can find a just as good/better spot that would require less work.

3. No way he used 10 gal pots. I had a few last year and after watering those things weighted like 30-40 lb soaking wet. Also you have a high chance if getting bugs really bad from what ever native pest are in the tree. No pros tons of cons.

4. You don't think a mature tree could support 30-40 lbs? Maybe not a dogwood... Ahhh, the pests! They slipped my mind, you think that all trees would pose an indefinate insect problem lke this? I'm sure certain types of trees house different bugs that may or may not be negligable to your plants...

And I wouldn't go so far as to say "No pros"... Theres the obvious pros of security and sun within a forest.... unless you know of a better way to get sunlight in dense forest?

LOL with that said I wouldn't disagree that there are indeed "tons of cons" with the labor being the primary one

5. I think it could hold a plant but that will take some work to keep it up there. Not worth all the work compared to planting on the ground.

6. oh ya that will work out great for you..

7. Well I won't be the one to just shut this idea down. The cons are that you WILL NOT be visiting these often. 2-4 times a months TOPS. Some sort of watering system will be needed. It doesn't have to be electronic. Expensive electronics can be highly effective, but they can also become a headache when they don't work right.

As a guerrilla grower, however, the concept of being able to grow in ANY forested location is just so exciting. The limitations that the rest of us have, namely searching for hidden full sun areas, can be pretty constricting.

I know this HAS been done before. Whether or not it is viable is up to how much effort you put into it, as goes for anything. Please be safe as well.

8. #8 Backwoodsgreen, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
    LOL... I never said I was gonna try this, as mustang said^^^ simply the idea of a grow in wooded location is enough to spark conversation right? I was just looking to generate conversation on a possible(not ideal, but refinable) grow technique...

9. deep deep in the forest, in a clearing in the tall trees, so that direct sunlight happens for a 3-5 hours at least in the fall...

10. The biggest con I can think of the the gaff marks you would be leaving on the tree when climbing it with the tree gaffs, idk about all of you but me being a born and raised outdoors country boy would notice the marks and then although I would never take anybody's plants that doesn't mean the next guy won't, just my two cents and most if not all the bug problems could be taken care of if you did it in a walnut tree, they're naturally almost 100% bug free.

11. look guys I aint gonna say it one more time.. if you think its a good idea to grow in a tree you are a fuckin idiot..

• Like Like x 1
  12. yeah its been done before, search back like 8 years on here and you will find something about it.

13. And ill say this for the first time, when you quit thinking outside of the box no progress is made. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, this is especially true in cannabis cultivation so in my mind if this does nothing more than spark conversation it was still a good thing...

14. [​IMG][/IMG]

how are you going to put that in a tree bro?

15. LMFAO

You're awfully close minded for a grower, perhaps you should consider the fact that some people on these boards still have to worry about people knowing they have plants... This thread was started as a discussion of a GEURILLA SECURITY option, obviously something you don't have to worry about...

Show me a plant that size in the thick ass woods and we'll drop the conversation...

16. You're awfully close minded for a grower, perhaps you should consider the fact that some people on these boards still have to worry about people knowing they have plants... This thread was started as a discussion of a GEURILLA SECURITY option, obviously something you don't have to worry about...

Show me a plant that size in the thick ass woods and we'll drop the conversation...[/QUOTE]

[​IMG] you just got to find a spot no one is going to look... thats the key, and make sure people dont see you going out there

17. I know of acres upon acres where noone looks... Ever...
    The problem is that in places like the enviroment I live in, you can search miles of landscape and never find even a slight break in the forest canopy...
    The only places that there are clearings? man made for power lines or service trails...

I suppose theres always the option of clearing a spot yourself... But I know that to do this properly without inflicting obvious human wounds can be very time consuming...

18. you just got to find a spot no one is going to look... thats the key, and make sure people dont see you going out there[/QUOTE]

Did you grow that in the woods?

19. Judging by the ground, and the trees in the picture, I'd guess yes. Nice plant dead skunk

20. How do you deal with the poison oak?