Guava fruit seedlings

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by jasem, Nov 6, 2018.

1. I planted these in peatmoss. I dont know how should I water them. until now I have gone with the
    "let the surface dry out'' rule since they are the seedling stage. The leaves in the bottom though, are downwards and stuck to the stem(2 sets of leaves on the bottom of the bigger one), I dont know if its natural or due to some other issue.
    There is no info on the internet on the seedling stage of Guava.
    any info on how to water, feed it, or general care would be appreciated.
    IMG_20181031_191513.jpg

Attached Files:

2. They like well drained soil, and are heavy feeders. They grow in tropical areas, 25-35C is ideal. You would have to water them similar to other indoor plants in order to prevent root rot and other issues, since they are not in fabric pots. It would be a good idea to transplant them into pots with lower levels containing some richer soil eventually, see this video:

Be sure that the soil is still well draining, and you could alternatively just feed it. Remember that it is a tree, and since you aren't using a clone it might take a while to mature - 2 years I think.

They look awesome, but if you have not yet fed them anything that could be the cause of the droopiness.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. The video doesn't address anything regarding the seedling stage. I've seen it in the past.
    I have a npk 3-1-1 fertilizer which I use for my weed in veg. can I use this one or guavas?

4. does this mean I gotta let the soil dry out completely before I water it?

5. I only use organic fertilizers usually, but I did google "guava fertilizer needs" for you. :)

"The use of a guava tree fertilizer with a 6-6-6-2 (nitrogen–phosphorus–potassium–magnesium) ratio is recommended. For each feeding, scatter the fertilizer evenly on the ground, starting a foot (30 cm.) from the trunk, then spreading out to the tree drip line."

What I take from this, is a balanced NPK ratio (6-6-6), and a bit of magnesium. The lady in the video was talking about soy and something else.. so she is gardening organic too. Organic is cheaper and produces nicer plants, when done correctly.

With seedlings be very light when you first start feeding them. The larger tree will need more, but a seedling will often perk up from almost nothing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fruit trees prefer equal amounts of NPK, like 4-4-4, or 10-10-10.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. I would not say completely. The amount of time between waterings depends on the pot type, soil type, temperature and airflow. With plastic pots, usually they recommend waiting until the top of the soil is dry, but lower it will still be damp so the roots don't dry out and die but also are not water logged and get oxygen between waterings which helps keep them healthy and prevent mold. Often a few days between watering, but it can depend on the lighting you use too because of the way heat affects evaporation rates.

• Like Like x 1