Grunge

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by sicsixsic, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Who here listens too grunge? i'm talking nirvana, alice in chains, pearl jam, any band from the seattle era, hell i'd consider modest mouse too be somewhat near it even though their rock/alt/country.

Grunge was the last frontier for rock now it's just bleh lately

Where metal meets punk and someone tosses some alternative ontop

Now point of this is talk about your favorite grunge band

nirvana for me of course , even though I love mudhoney and mudhoney started the whole grunge noise imo, nirvana's just..what else can you say? nirvana.

2. The grunge I mainly listen to is Alice In Chains. I don't like the newer stuff though, even though it seems like the rest of the AIC fans do, so whatever works for them.

I like Nirvana too, sometimes. You Know You're Right is my favorite song by them, and one of the last Kurt wrote. Pretty sad, if they had made an album full of songs like that I'd love it.

Pearl Jam is pretty good too. Black especially.

Soundgarden I was never able to get into for some reason.

3. i liked grunge when i was younger. then i discovered the wipers. The Wipers are a seattle based 'punk' band that came out in like 79 or 80. they were WAY ahead of their time. if they had come out in the early 90s they would have been huge. instead, nirvana became big, covering their songs and stealing their sound (along with the sounds of the meat puppets and the melvins). if you ask me grunge is nothing more than boring punk rock without the fashion and politics.

just ditch that shit and listen to the wipers and the meat puppets who came out 10 years earlier

4. Well now no need too hate on grunge, it's just heavier, more distorted, metal rifts with throaty vocals. If you don't like it don't listen too it :/.

Alice in chains were practically metal if you listen too their rifts and compare them too metal bands

Really grunge wasn't a genre it was just a time where a lot of amazing bands popped up and became famous in the media, in the media 91-95, but really it would probably be 86 - 02. after lanely died, there werent many bands left still recording.

Nirvana was really their own thing though, even though no comment says otherwise. Listen too his vocals, he really knew how too sing and had just great guitar work. I'm a vocalist myself and i'm amazed how he sang so well.

5. #5 no comment, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
    im not busting on it, i just think you're hurting yourself by not exploring further. grunge is kind of a gateway thing. green river is better than most other bands that are considered grunge though. do you like them?

nirvana are okay, but they're DEFINITELY not their own thing. they are an obvious product of their influences, you can hear the melvins in their heavy riffs and the meat puppets/wipers when they were softer. they seriously just stole most of their sound. that doesnt make them unlistenable, i just dont think they deserve any kind of credit.

edit: actually, they do deserve credit for some things. they were responsible for getting bands like the melvins and the meat puppets some real coverage. they namedropped them and even got labels to pick them up and re-release their albums. if it werent for nirvana, i probably wouldnt even know those bands.

6. don't forget Scratch Acid

to give Nirvana some credit, Kurt Cobain pretty frequently admitted he didn't deserve the attention they were getting and quite often pointed to his influences. He brought The Meat Puppets out for their MTV Unplugged show and covered a David Bowie song. He frequently wore a Daniel Johnston t-shirt during shows.

7. yeah i said that in my edit. i am happy for that.

8. Yeah man grunge is some good shit, its one of the many genres im into, but yeah I listen to Alice in Chains the most when it comes to grunge. Oh yeah i'm in the Seattle area too lol.

9. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USZzH1L6nKU]YouTube - Nirvana - Lithium [Live][/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhIu4vtSIQ]YouTube - Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5iJeL2e-c]YouTube - Nirvana-Stay Away[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BE1KRj5iiM]YouTube - Nirvana - Sappy[/ame]

10. yo nirvana and aic are two of my favorites but u guys should try listening to tad that band kicks ass