Growth rate of peppers

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by nerdyGrower, Mar 30, 2013.

1. I'm considering switching my indoor hydro mmj grow to veggies. I really dig on bell peppers. Once the plant is mature and producing fruit, will it continue to do that indefinitely? And if so, how many peppers grow from a mature plant each... Lets say week?

2. all peppers can be grown perennially either indoors or in the tropics. people commonly over winter peppers in pots and plant them in the ground the second year and get MASSIVE plants. They will produce indefinitely indoors but you may need to become the pollinator for maximum yield.

3. unsure as to how many per week, I've only started my peppers and tomatoes under lights.

4. I've never done any sexing with mmj and pollination is new to me also. Can 1 pepper plant produce indefinitely albeit not maximum yield but enough for salads and stuff?

5. the plant will keep making flowers as long as you keep it healthy and root space,im on my second year growing peppers and tomatoes.

6. What's the light cycle like? What sort of nutrients do you use?

7. i used a 18/6 light and everything was fine,im using a 4ft 8 tube t5 good growth.

i have used maxibloom with ok results this year i did soil and im getting better growth

at the hydrostore the guy has 4 jalapenos that are about 4 ft tall and 1.5 wide in a waterfarm i think and thats under that same t5 his light is on 12/12

8. Last year I grew all sorts of peppers from sweet bells through bhut jolokias indoors under t5ho's. switching to the window when they got big.

As long as you manually pollinate the flowers, you should be able to pull a couple fruit per plant every week once mature. The super hot peppers where much slower than the bells. But all did well indoors

All I fed mine was old expired nutes I collected from friends and get for big discount at local shop. Wouldn't use in my other garden but worked fine for peppers.

Unfortunately I had planted them all in coco, which was nice for watering, but I ended up battling ph later in the fall and pitched them as soon as the crop slowed down

9. from my exp peppers also dont like a lot of nutes

10. What sniper said about manual pollinattion is what I was Getting at. Cannabis is a pollenated via wind, most food crops require insects for pollenation, w/o insects you gotta get in there with a cotton swab or something like that and gather pollen and put it all over the stamen yourself.

11. Peppers are self-pollinating.

12. I have observed bees in my pepper flowers. is the only reason I bring it up.

13. I have found that my indoor peppers (despite them not needing another plant for pollination) produced next to no fruit at all without going around with the cotton swab. The times I did go around with the swab I noticed massive increases in fruit resulting from the flower sites I manually swabbed.

These findings were consistent with mini red bell patio crap, habaneros, bhut jolokia, devils tongue, and another I can't remember right now.

On too of that, my outdoor peppers produced much more fruit, except for the bhut jolokia, but that's no surprise considering they took a month to germinate and I have a very short summer season here being somewhere between zone 4 and 5