Growth Experiment Using Music

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by growgreek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. well guys by now im sure you have heard of sonic bloom. if not, google it. or search the threads here.

after doing a lot of research on this subject, i found that similar effects can be found using a music stimulus on the plants. more specifically sounds in the 3 hz range. this can be found in the composer Bach's e-concerto for violin.

so instead of just studying it, i am going to try it.

i have downloaded a few different versions of this performance (different tempos or speeds)

you can download the same copy as i did here:

J.S. BACH: Violin Concerto in E Major : Yehudi Menuhin, violin : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

use the higher quality copy for best performance from the speakers.

so this is what i did:

i have an unused smartphone with a great speaker on it.

downloaded those song copies to it and set the volume to medium and playback to repeat all tracks.

to start with i will let it run until the battery dies, just because i dont know how long that is yet....probably at least a few hours.

it is now in my homemade pc grow box playing.

besides it being relaxing to the ears this may cause a growth increase.

the state my plant is in now is the major growth phase of the vegging.

i will let you know what happens, and encourage you to try as well :)

2. here is the first pic

[​IMG]

3. as you can see it is freshly trimmed and lst'd

wish me luck!

4. the mythbusters did this using music to grow plants and i think they found death metal and classical would grow the plants faster. I think the mythbusters are kind of annoying though.

5. well we should see....

the only music i am using is Bach's E-Concerto for violin....

6. It'd be tought to put a finger on what sounds, in what amounts, at what times of the day.

Birds chirping during sunrise has been shown to increase growth, while playing it later in the day had no change in growth speed. Apparently the crops in the test only cared about the "morning birds" singing as the sun rose. By playing the music half an hour before "sunrise" the a measurable increase in the plant's internal circulation could be seen.

My greenthumb friends suggest Ravi Shankar for the plants. I personally think they like glitch-hop a lot.

Even the birds like my break beats, they'll start chirping along if I play it outside.

7. since this is about growth in a single plant, and not about testing using the scientific method, i added one more thing...

a solar cell....

so with these 2 things i spent less than $5...lets see if that increases growth significantly...

as far as sunrise...or sunset...i run my lights 24/7 so that wouldnt apply to me

and the reason shankar is recommended, the same as bach, is that the music is in the same key, which produces similar wavelengths.

8. How exactly will you know if it even works without a control group?

9. I'd play it reggae

10. the control group is in my mind....the last 4 grows have run about the same.

like i said, im not doing this for an experiment in the way of the scientific method. it is to improve the growth in this particular plant. the comparison will be to the standard growth rate that i already know.

i really dont want people telling me im not doing it right. this is to note the progress of it. thats it.

and i dont think all music will work. from all the research it has to be specific wavelengths, specifically 3 khz. with working ranges up to 50 khz. it has been proven that bach e-concerto for violin and some ravi shankar included those wavelengths for prolonged periods of time. so choose the bach as i love classical music.

11. good luck with the buds. play it some bob marley.

12. my camera isnt working right so i cannot update with pics....

but i have some results.....

and interesting ones, did not expect this....

i placed the phone playing the music on the left side of the box....and the terminals for the pv cell in the rear....

the plant seems to be growing left and back?!

the largest leaves are on the left side, and they grow much faster than those on the right.

even after trimming some of the largest leaves off the left side, a day or so later, the small leaves that were left behind grow to be larger than the leaves on the right....

so i would say it works, but not like expected.....maybe my volume has to louder?

13. I'm putting my old iPhone in my tent on shuffle 24 hrs a day. If nothing else, it will be nice to listen to music when I'm in there, and it will help muffle the fan noises.

14. ok guys, the camera isnt working, i think i killed the battery...just wont turn on anymore...

but i will update anyways :)

i can honestly say i have never seen what i am seeing now.....

the new nodes, and there a ton of them, are VERY close together, and even close to overlapping. and those new nodes are appearing on existing stem...

you can see in the first picture that the main stem itself doesnt have that much in coverage.....now it is crazy full! more so than i have seen in my previous grows by multiple times over. i had to trim off a couple leaves that were shading some of the lower growth on the main stem.

oddly enough though, the stems themselves did not seem to grow any faster than normal, just the new nodes.

and yes the leaves closest to the sound source are growing faster than those on the opposite side....

15. i also seem to have solved my little bug problem....didnt know what they were but they were tiny and in the coco....havent seen anything at all (except a mosquito that came in a window and landed on an edge of tape and got stuck and died lol)

16. Just posted in another thread about a guy who mentioned Sonic Bloom. It works, it works great. Spent years doing personal experiments, and a lot of research. The key is all about having the right range of sound frequencies. That mythbusters episode was really unfinished because they didn't go into the why.
    I've personally tested most of the claims on the Sonic Bloom website, and they've worked with the things I've grown outside, that can grow in my area.
    I'm a big supporter on using sound, and using a foliar mixture in conjunction with it, seeing what it can do.
    Have a humorous item about using sound though. Was trying to germinate some corn, and happened to put it on my germination rack above the speakers, and out of 16 corn seeds, only 3 grew upwards. The other 13 grew downwards towards the speakers. Maybe something dealing with the magnetism within the speakers, or whether it was the sound itself, I still need to confirm. But some food for thought.

17. well it looks like the sound frequency idea is working....it is growing towards the sound and not towards the light....at least this side of the plant....maybe i need to increase the volume...

18. Do you have a pic?

19. im going to try and find a new battery today.....sorry no pics yet...