Growth Characteristics of Males and Females???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by IGotTheCottons, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I've heard that there's differences between how males and females grow while in veg... I was wondering if this is true, and if so, what would be the "typical" growth paterns to look for in each?

Also... How about smell? Is it common for young plants (as in their first 5-fingered leaves are just coming in) to absolutely STINK? I was hoping that would indicate that it's good genetics, but I dunno... Any clarification would help.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

2. Smell really doesnt matter, awhile back i had a male that stunk literally like a pile of shit.

Really the only way to know the sex during veg would be getting clones. Feminized seeds dont always have 100% female rate.

I have noticed in past grows and past journals i have seen, that its usually the most vigorous growing plant thats male.

Dont get me wrong, ive had savage plants that had 1 foot on the rest the whole time, but still was female.

so really the only way to determine would be sexing them on 12/12 for a week, preflowerings in veg cycle, or clones.

Hope this helps

3. Ahh... I've heard that the real vigorous ones at first are typically male, which kinda sucks...

I've just got some out in some distant woods (and I mean DISTANT). When their first couple sets of 5-fingered leaves were coming in is when I really began to notice the odor. I was carrying them in a bin and it smelled like I was getting sprayed in the face by a skunk. I mean SUPER pungent! lol. For the most part they're looking pretty indica dominent, but it is very clear they've got some sativa in 'em. They're just bagseed, but they came from good buds, so hopefully they'll reward me with the same :)

4. :D sounds good. this is the entire reason that clones have been my favorite lately.

last season i was lucky enough to get 100% female rate with blueberry, so then i crossed the blueberry with my best male northern lights, and now it seems that i have some feminized BBxNL. havent had a male in the batch yet..*knock on wood*

good luck man

5. Nice. I would love an opportunity to grow some *good* seeds... But my broke ass can't afford any, LOL. So I guess I'll just have to stick with some bagseed for now and see how that goes. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. :D

6. well, suprisingly, the blueberry was bag seeds, and the northern lights was seedbank seed.

grows pretty nice, but its not as stable of a strain as one found in a seedbank

what i did, was grew some bagseeds outdoor, cost next to nothing, then with the profits from that, i started new, better projects. its easier this way.

god speed

7. That's what I was thinking of doing. I would really love to try an organic aeroponic scrog. *drools*