Growing your own veg

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Freedom, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Field of dreams theory :hello:

Hey lovely, lovely you :wave: the garden is good, could do with much more sun. :p Can I have some of yours? :poke::D

Ok, I'll take some pics, my potatoes are flowering well too. :yay: I've had loads of white fly though :mad: bastards were all up over mah swedes :cry:

Lol, he's such a stoner. :p:hello:

Stop biting your fingernails. :poke::p;)

Very healthy looking! :hello: Thanks for sharing :) let's see some more when u get time. :wave:

2. Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of GC,

I love with the gardening forum. Here's a bit from my deck. I can't share my my main garden as it is a community shared.

Brandywine tomatoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckled Roma

[​IMG]

Rosemary 3 yrs old now

[​IMG]

Opal Basel and Thai basel

[​IMG]

Sunflower can't wait for seeds!

[​IMG]

3. #63 Freedom, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010

GREAT pics man! :hello: Everything looks really healthy and happy. :smoking: What's your secret with the rosemary? Mine is a big pile of poo. :( Do you chop it back each year?

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

Toook some pics of mah veggies this morning. It's a bit grey today, but everything is doing pretty much ok.

Here's a pic of the whole veg patch. You can see it's not huge, I have to squish stuff in a bit.
    wholegarden.JPG

Potatoes

potflower.JPG

pots.JPG

Couple more months and I'll be eating blue potatoes. :hello:

Swede, got attacked bad by whitefly, but I've won the war. :metal:

swede.JPG

Parsnips

snips.JPG

Corn

corn.JPG

Broad beans

broaders.JPG

Spring onion

onion.JPG

And the first flowers on the beans that are gonna beat Unoit in the longest bean competition :hello:

runners.JPG

I'd say those flowers look like the stuff huge beans are made out of. ;)

4. #64 70s, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
    beautiful plants patrio. thats a lot of rosemary ya got there and i love the variety of toms and basil ya got. i tried a sunflower this year too. it started to flower while i was still in my horticulture class and was growing very nicely but when i took it home it shriveled up and died due to lack of sun nice. i cant wait to see yours though. looks good man...

freedom, the garden is looking very nice! i cant wait to expand mine next year i wanna put in some onions for sure! buzz got me excited about harvesting weed, than harvesting your garden and making salsa for munchies. all i need is onion:( and i love onion! even raw! yum:yummy::smoking:

5. HIGH All, nice patrio....Community Shared Gardens is a Great Idea...I think everyone should have a Place to Grow some Veggies...plus is a great way to meet some Good Growers with Great Tips for your Veggies.

*LOL* shit Free that was my Good Hand....Should see my Right *LOL*....at Least I Don't Bite them till they Bleed...That Always Hurt!!!!

Right on!!! Your Beans have Flowers...not on ours Yet...But Soon Sis...Love how your Tater Plants Flowers are White and Your Growing to Get Blue Taters..How Cool is That eh!! This is a Good Site to see what you can do about Pests.

*LOL* I heasr ya 70's...onion Sandwiches with Loads of Mayo and Pepper MMmmmmm!!!!

6. Thanks man. :) I love home grown onion :yummy: defo grow some. :D :poke: :D

Lol! Your poor fingers! :( :poke: :p

I just love this time of year for the veggies, when everything flowers :hello: That link is great man! Thank you! :)

7. #67 patriofarmer, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

Free,

Nice pics as well. As for the Rosemary I have never trimmed it back, actually is outgrows the pot every year. I started about 30 seeds and only 6 showed, I guess that is common with Rosemary. Don't feed it much just gets alot of sun and comes inside in the winter. It actually covers the smell of the winter grow rather nicely, just slap a few branches and the whole house reeks. It's in a 10 gal pot and needs water every day. Fresh herbs are the best thing I have ever grown IMO, including pot.

The spring onions are my favorite so far. I could eat the entire plant just like that.

Yeah it's nice not to have a little extra lawn this year. There are definitely some great growers there, unfortunately most of them are assholes. I caught one of them taking a cutting of my biggest Brandywine yesterday, which I'm fine with but he has already warned everyone about "touching his plot" I wanted to salt his fields like the Romans, until I smoked a J in my car. But a few cool people, the seed/cutting sharing kicks ass.

This section is alot cooler in many ways than actually gardening next to other people. Next year the garden is going in the back yard again.

8. Thanks man. :)

Aah, inside might be the answer then for the rosemary, i wintered mine out and it didn't thank me for it, it's only just recovering now. Also, really? Water every day? I thought I was over watering mine :p clearly i have a lot to learn where rosemary is concerned. :rolleyes: Fortunately my sage and lemon thyme are doing so well I've had loads spare to cut back and hang to dry. :hello:

I agree, nothing like fresh 'erbs. ;)

The garden is loving the weather :cool: we're in the middle of a mutha fukkin heat wave and everything is growing great. :hello:

Beans (on my crappy, less superior poles to Unoit's :cry:) ;)

cubes 033.jpg

cubes 034.jpg

Corn

cubes 035.jpg

First carrots picked today for a salad I'm making tonight

cubes 036.jpg

I haave some questions too for you lurking experts. :) I've never had much luck with the following, the bottom line is that these plants aren't really designed to grow in the great british weather, so unless you have a greenhouse, you struggle, but I think I can do better with some helpful guidance. :wave:

Chilli pepper plant, only ever grown one before, it looked as sorry for itself as this one, grew one pepper which had a caterpiller living in it and it never matured into something edible :p
    This one has been doing better since Doin :)love::wave::D) told me to stop watering it so much, the new growth is much happier. It has lots of flowers which means an opportunity for lots of fruit, I just wish the plant looked healthier, also the soil is now sooooooo dry, how much water does she actually need?

cubes 031.jpg

Finally, I've never tried it before but decided to give garlic a go this year. The weird thing is that I planted one garlic clove in this pot andd I have three sprouty things :confused_2:

cubes 032.jpg

Strange huh? :confused: Magic garlic perhaps? :metal:

Thanks for looking. :wave:

9. Shit I don't know about the Pepper Plant Free...still have Whitefly...maybe it's them that's Fucking your Baby up....another thing we can't seem to Grow..Carrots *LOL* oh well don't like them anyway...just Fresh from the Ground...hate them when Cooked..I get like this [​IMG]

10. The chili looks much better Free :hello: And everything else is looking mighty tasty!! :yummy: Nicely done girl!! :p

potted peppers - When they need water, I've been giving them just enough water to get a little bit of run-off from the bottom of the pot. that help? :smoke:

11. Lol!! That's what courgette does to me! Lmao! Ok man, I won't show you any more carrots. (insert laughy smilie here)

I think I got rid of all the white fly, but i'll check!

Thanks you :love:
    I'll get there with the pepper, just gotta find that 'sweet spot' ya know? ;) :D :wave:

12. Yeah baby! I know exactly what you're talking about ;) :D

I was good and took a few pics of garden babies today :p

I just love this bushy little basil
    [​IMG]

Rosemary smells divine!
    [​IMG]

The mint is coming back nicely after the midget attack :p
    [​IMG]

Just pulled this to go with dinner tonight :yummy:
    [​IMG]

Green pepper I'm eyeing for dinner too! :D
    [​IMG]

Hottest pepper in the world from India - this baby is loaded with peppers :eek:
    [​IMG]

cuke flower
    [​IMG]

First strawberry flowers of the season :hello:
    [​IMG]

And a nice tomato for Yoda when its ready...I may steal it for salsa tho :devious: SHHHHHHH!!!!! LOL!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. It's ok Free...I Love the right out of the Ground Carrots....just Cooked yewwwwww.

Man you got yourself some Shit Growing on eh Doin...your First Stawb...late getting them in?? Our Cukes aren't doing too good...Shitty Spring did it. Wow....Just Wow Doin!!!

14. Yeah, carrots raw are yummers. (insert smiley smiley here)

Doin everything looks sooooo good!! :hello: Really healthy! That lettuce is such gorgeous colours. :)
    You'll have to let me have your salsa recipe. ;):poke::D

15. Yep, a little late getting the strawberries in, and they're first year. I pulled all the runners / blooms until the 1st of June. I don't expect much out of them this year, next year should be much better *fingers crossed* LOL!

Thanks bro! Sorry to hear that your cukes are not doing so well this year :( I hope they kick into gear and you have lots of cukes!! Damn crappy spring! GRRR!!!!

Garden fresh carrots :yummy: Love them in salads!! :D

Thanks Free :p I sure hope the lettuce is as tasty as it looks :yummy:

Salsa recipe coming up :yummy: Do you want me to pm it to ya, or post it here?

16. Pm it to me, then I'll feel special. :D:p

j/k, whichever you like gal, depends if it's a secret recipe or not. ;):eek::D

17. Just picked some bits for a salad for dinner :yummy: I just love this time of year

veggies 002.jpg

Also, looky! :yay:

veggies 003.jpg

And here's a quick pic of the herb garden

veggies 004.jpg

With the exception of the rosemary and parsley the herbs have done so well this year that I've been able to cut and dry a load that should last through the winter too. :hello:

18. Right on Free!!!! Looks like someone is Growing to be Happy....ya can't beat this Time of year for sure.....Peppers are Coming along Fine eh!!!

19. Thanks man :hello::wave:

20. Looking beautiful missy boo! You are such a grower at heart and it shines through in the love your little guys/girls give you in return to feed that love. LOL, circle of life of growing. :D