Growing your own veg

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Freedom, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Mods, I LOVE YOU! Thank you for giving us all these cool new editions to the grow forums! :yay:

Lets share pics of your homegrown veg! :hello:

This is my first year here, so things are still looking a little bald.

Very pleased with my potatoes

veg 001.JPG

Spring onions and broad beans

veg 002.JPG

veg 003.JPG

In this section I have suede (sp?) :confused: beans, strawberries, parsnips, carrots, lettuce, chillie, garlic and spinach.

veg 004.JPG

Nothing more rewarding than picking your dinner from the garden. :metal:

Anyone know how much watering is good for my potatoes? I struggle to get it right....:)

Now I wanna see more pics! :poke: Get yer veg out for the lads! (and ladettes :) ):smoke:

2. HIGH All, Fuck your Taders are Giving her eh!!! When you starting to Hill them or is it Done now? Never Grow Taders Free.

Looking Great...No Tom's...don't tell me MrF is Allergic to those *LOL*

3. Highya Free :wave:

Love the shiny new thread! :hello:

Your veggies look great girl! :D

I don't know anything about potatoes. :smoke:

edit: I'll have to get some veggie pics later :cool:

4. I know man, they're huge! :D I 'earthed' them up for about two months, they just kept on growing through the top of the mound until I ran out of soil! :p

I thought Rocdog was growing spuds this year? :confused: I was relying on you for the answer! :poke: :p ;)

No Toms, I don't like 'em much and I don't have a greenhouse....Mr F is allergiic to pretty much ALL vegetables. :p:rolleyes:

Now I showed you mine, you must show me yours! :p :poke::D

Thanks gal! :love: :D

Yes! Defo post your pics! :D

Why is it however many rocks I pick up outta my veg garden, the following day there are twice as many? :rolleyes: It's a conspiracy I tells ya. :smoke:

5. Yes she Did Plant some..about 2 weeks aGrow....water it Good once a week....Fuck I don't know...Tom's are my Forte'.

*LOL* poor guy....does he ever Leaf the House...Sorry for Laughing MrF...I know Allergies are a Pain and I feel For you Bro!!

I Don't have a Garden...just Pics O.F.F.F. the Net....I knew my Lieing would Catch up to me.

6. Lol, ok, well I'll come to you when I have q's on toms then. :p

He's not actually allergic, he just doesn't wanna eat them. :p

You're fooling no one! I have seen your garden! Why did you close your thread man? :( I wanted to fucker it up. :poke: :D

7. :eek: I was just wondering the same thing about Unoit's thread :poke: :D

Free...idk why the rock population always seems to increase in the garden :confused_2: We have a rock problem too and I wish it would stop! :( The people who lived here before us had rocks everywhere....OIY!!! And we just can't get rid of 'em :eek: :rolleyes:

Sure does help that we're doing a lot of container gardening this year :smoke:

8. *LOL* what you Don't Lock your Doors when not at Home *LOL*

Just Gathering Pics and uno who would be in there like ummmm Green on Fingernails if I didn't Close it *LOL*

Hey Ladies you'll be Picking Rocks till you Move....Been doing it for 14 years and have Filled a Few Pot Holes around the Yard and Still picking.

9. Fucking rocks. :mad: Unoit once told me to stop watering them :laughing::smoke:

Haha! Me too! Better for the carrots and lettuces fo sho. :) My chilli plant hasn't taken to UK conditions very well :p I shoulda kept it indoors in the tent. :smoke:

No what?! :p What r u on about man? :poke: who?! :confused: :p

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Say it ain't so! :cry:

Rocks are bastards. :mad:

10. Hi all! :wave:

I got side-tracked, started following Unoit's posts around and ended up here. Cool off-subject thread!

Now I don't think I'm going to post a lot here. You guys are all so social and all over the City! I don't know how you do it! Just keepin up with my own grow journal is so time-consuming! You must all be old and retired! :)

Anyway, talk of taters and container gardening got me to where I couldn't pass up sharing what we're trying this year. Check it out ...

Spud stack 061710 .jpg

You can tell by the fine craftsmanship that I made the box-thing. My wife's the veg gardener though. When we planted, it was just the box at the bottom. As the bush grew, every few days or so, wifey would cover around 2/3 of the green growth with straw. We're not going any higher than this.

I guess once the flowers appear and die out, we'll just start pulling perfectly clean taters out of the straw, with the largest ones down deep. We shall see...

Happy growin' to all! :wave:

11. I follow Unoit all the time, it's fun! :D I'm his official stalker. :p

Old yes, retired no. :p Also, I'm a bit sad. :hide:

:yay: very cool spud stack man! :hello: Awesome view you got there too. ;) Make sure you post pics of your spuds when you harvest. :poke::)

12. Super-cool journal free! I really want to grow potatoes! how do ya start them? bury a potato?

13. Same boat then, and I'm back to not knowing how you do it! Sorry to hear you are sad! :( :confused:

Thanks, and will do! :wave:

I think that works cuz I seem to remember it from my youth. But these days, we buy "seed potatoes" from the nursery, cut em into chunks trying to keep at least one "eye" on each chunk, and plant a few chunks in each hill. I'm pretty sure about all that. My wife's not here to ask ATM.

Oh, and everyone around here seems to know that potatoes should be planted by St. Patrick's day. I don't know if that's location-specific or not, but by April you can't even find seed potatoes to buy anymore.

14. very cool. I'll have to try next year! thanks for the info!

15. Hey Free!

Has anyone topped their potato beds with straw? If you top them with straw as they grow vertical, you can harvest the potatoes without destroying the plant... or so I am told.

Normally I plant them deeper in the ground in a "bowl" then back fill as they grow vertical. I have found that to increase harvest on my sweet potatoes by about 50%. However, once you start harvesting, they are toast...

16. *LOL* Yes I did...Confused...Closed Thread..Locked Doors...Come on Sis...you Feeling me!!!

Cool MX...we did Tires one year..didn't work out well as our soil was to Shitty and the water never got down deep enough.....Can't wait to see some Tadders from that.

Following me Around eh...not because of my Ass is it *LOL*

Ya and You....one Day my Friend One Day!!!!

It's what we'll be doing this time...mixing Straw in witht the Soil when we Hill them.

17. Free, a woman of many surprises! Your garden looks simply beautiful! :D :hello:

18. Thanks Nugs. :wave:

Yeah, you get seed potatoes, they're very cheap and you can get a million different varieties. I have some blue ones this year. :metal: from each seed potato the potential for yield is enormous. :hello:

Lol, I meant sad like I'm a loser. :p It's not often that I'm sad ( :cry: ) sad. ;)

That's basically it. :hello:

Well don't come flaunting your amazing spuds in here! :mad::p;) I've seen your garden and it's way too impressive! :poke::devious::p

'lo :wave:

The straw thing is an excellent idea, I hadn't thought of it before but I'm defo gonna try it in future. :)

Um...:confused:

:laughing: my brain aches. :(

Thank u kindly Mrs Ed :wave::love: I just love to grow. :D

19. Still Confused after I put it All together *LOL* You Funny!!!

20. (insert light bulb going on emotey here)

:laughing::laughing:

That took me a while, huh? :p I blame all the bud I smoke. :smoke: