Growing with fruits and veggies.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by rudeboy6366, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Hey guys

Firs of all i know its not possible to cannabis to cross polinize or even take on the characteristics of another plant but i thought I'd bring this up for fun.

So i recently discovered my plants are surrounded by raspberries, the entire back part of our property is raspberries lol besides the obvious snack I'll be having every time I go check on my plants is there any benefit to having these around? I have tasted some buds that were grown in with tomato's before and it had a very fruity, veggy smell and taste to it (could totally have been the strain) so i'm not sure if it has much effect or not on the out come... thanks for your opinions everyone!

RB

2. i dunno what benefit it would have, but i know id be careful because bears love berries and such so there will be alot around, but it will keep smaller animals away because of the thorns and such

3. companion planting is a long known benifit ,detriment. some plants fix nitrogen and boost yield, some have beneficial insect repellant properties. some are bad to put together. berry plants i don't recallever seeing them mentioned.

4. I think the problem will be the raspberries stealing nutrients. I grow 20 of so types of fruit and veg with my weed but always keep the weed in its own patch. Raspberries are nute hogs and can grow tall enough to shade your plants, unless they are a late crop variety. They will be already be ahead of your weed. Make sure you clear enough around your plants to get enough light to them!

5. Thanks everyone, ive been gardening(in general) for 2 years fairly seriously and have been expirmenting with different companion plants since I started, they are far enough away they wont steal any nutes from my garden nor do I fear they'll grow tall enough to choke out all my light, they seem to have reached maximum height, I was hoping to hear that itd make it fruitier or something Lmao I know its kind of a far cry from reality but itd be cool

6. no it won't change the taste
    they'll compete for soil and sun so not good. Trim the bushes around your mj plants so they get max sun (important)

7. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']no it won't change the taste
    they'll compete for soil and sun so not good. Trim the bushes around your mj plants so they get max sun (important)[/quote]

Yea I know that lol they arnt touching the plant or the garden they are just in the general area

8. They could attract more insects possible but I have my other garden on both sides of my medical garden. Im growing tomatoes, cantaloupe, pumpkin, corn and watermelon along with 6 strains of mj.

9. my veggies are 100% separate from my weedzy. Don't want either of them to compete for anything. I also don't think anything will have an impact on the taste of the bud, except the nurturing of the plant itself.

Now tomatoes and basil on the other hand, go hand-in-hand :D

10. [quote name='"SmokeMB"']my veggies are 100% separate from my weedzy. Don't want either of them to compete for anything. I also don't think anything will have an impact on the taste of the bud, except the nurturing of the plant itself.

Now tomatoes and basil on the other hand, go hand-in-hand :D[/quote]

Yea I didn't get that option lol I had one place to put it, but there are no roots competing with my babies lol I made well sure of that, I didn't know tomatoes and basil complimented each other, ive done a strawberry and basil basket now for a while and they are some of the sweetest strawberries you'll ever eat, I also put a couple pansies in my herb baskets, im a huge fan of container gardening lol