growing with cfl and incandescent?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by linnix13, Apr 20, 2011.

1. hey all and thanks for taking the time to read this over, i started growing some bag seeds a few months ago and my set up was 3 plants, and 10 cfl at 13w each, half are cool half are warm, one of the plants was a male. so i have 2 females flowering under my cfls, they are growing fantastic the buds on top are massive with brownish red hairs, however the buds down lower are very very under developed, i had some incandescent grow bulbs lying around, and i put 2 of them into my grow room, they are 120w each, i know incandescents suck balls but will they help my lower buds at all or is it just a waste of electricity?

thanks and happy 420 everyone!

2. I wouldn't for the simple reason that incandescent is really hot and makes it very difficult to control temps.

Run your CFL for 10 minutes and then touch the light. Next, try the same with the
    incandescent. Now just imagine that incandescent will be running 18 hours during veg and the heat it could produce during that time.

3. yes exept i am not vegging, they are a month into flowering, also i know they are hot. thats why i mounted them higher up, and i have a thermometer and humidex in my room so i will make sure it isnt getting to hot. i just want to know if these lights put any usable light to my plants

4. Taken from the Lighting FAQ sticky:

"1. Incandescent lamps - These are the standard household “light bulbs” that Thomas Edison improved upon in 1879 which was then a 50 year old idea. Incandescents are not good for growing plants as the only light source; they are very inefficient, using a lot of energy to produce little light output. They also emit predominantly red/yellow light causing seedlings to grow lanky (over stretched) and fall over. They may be used to supplement the flowering period to increase the amount of yellow light which can help induce some plants to flower.

2. Fluorescent lamps -The fluorescent lamp is well suited for indoor plant growth,
    especially “High-Output” T5 fluorescent lamps. Fluorescent lamps are 3-7 times more efficient than incandescent lamps meaning you will use less electricity for the same amount of light. Fluorescent bulbs come in a wide spectrum of light, 6500K grow bulbs have more light on the blue end so they promote bushiness in plants whereas the 3000K bloom bulbs have more light in the red end of the spectrum so they promote flowering. However, these lights have a low light output, meaning you need to keep the lights within a few inches of the tops of plants. This means that fluorescent lights are not usually a good light source for big plants (over 3 feet). You can use fluorescents with big plants if you have lights above and along the side of the plant. "
    "

Edit:

Here is more info:

Red and yellow light are associated with flowering in many plants. I have worked in greenhouses where plants that were grown under florescent bulbs (high blue) had an incandescent light (high yellow) added to induce or promote flowering. This is also one reason that some growers use high pressure sodium lights, their light output being more intense, but also emitting more energy in the red/yellow end. (See light fixtures below)

5. here are some pictures,

i will take any criticism with a grain of salt, it my first grow so relax,

also im not shitty at taking pictures my cameras focus is broken:eek:
    DSCN4145.jpg

DSCN4146.jpg

DSCN4147.jpg

DSCN4148.jpg

6. ok thats good, i knew they cant be used for veg but its good i can use them to help out, i have a 1000w hps ballast i will use with my next grow, i am going to get good seeds and make a better grow room. however atm i am unable to obtain a 1000whps due to insufficient funds

7. I'm perfectly relaxed, and I am also 80% through my first micro grow as well. I am no expert, so I am just try to rely what I have read and provide the source of the information if I can.

8. i know you have been more than helpful, i was just saying that to keep anyone from overreacting