Growing weed as a job

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ezwidertwistin, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ok so im graduating high school this year and have no idea what i want to do with my life. Everyone keeps telling me just do what you love and i have been thinking about it and i genuinely do love weed and am very passionate about it. Now my question is does anybody know if there is anywhere i can go to school to specifically learn and get some sort of degree or certification as a grower. Also does anybody know how the job market is for the legal cannabis industry in the us and if there is a high demand for growers? Thanks!

2. Certification or degree as a grower? Uhm....

I think it's still more of an underground thing, you need connections rather than an actual degree to get that sort of work.

I might be wrong though.

3. I'm assuming u live in the United States....

WA and CO both "legalized" weed last fall and will be starting up their legal markets soon. Soon could be in a year or in 10 years but the voters have spoken and there is some sort of effort being put into this from state lawmakers.

However, both states (and also plenty others) have had medical marijuana industries for quite some time. There are a few growers/vendors that have been in the game for 5+ years and they are already planning to pioneer the legal industry as well as expand the medical industry. The industry with more potential will depend on lawmakers, but the last few years there really has been a "green rush" in wa state with growers and vendors both making decent money off marijuana.

If u are just starting, there are schools in California. I think it's called oaksterdam in Oakland. In wa we run a lot of growers classes and random events u can pick up growing knowledge on. Someone might have even started a school recently, our industry is getting really advanced here compared to most states.

From my experience, however, everything these schools teach can be found on YouTube. If you have ever heard of Subcool and TGA, they hold a "School of Dank" every year. It's a 2 day class but all the lessons can be found on YouTube. I would suggest that u move to a medical marijuana state, build an awesome grow room legally, and devote a lot of time to learning about your own plants and strains. After a few years u should have a better feel for the plants and will be able to compete with the growers that have been doing this a while.

In summary, the industry is very young and many of our "experts" are really not experts. They just know how to start a business and have taken the risk. Competition is low if u really know what ur doing, most people in this game are just in it for a quick dollar. If u really have a passion for the plant u should have no trouble creating a product that will stand out. Think medibles, tinctures, lotions, bho, and other forms besides your normal dry herb. People are looking and will continue to look for more ways to ingest cannabis.

4. Thanks for the advice highscores! And for clarification i was talking about growing in colorado of washington i know its undergroud everywhere else but im from pa

5. It is called botany. Also horticulture.

6. I think you can pretty much learn everything on the web. A great deal of it here. No one is going to listen to anything except quality end product. The more practice you have the more likely that result.

Start a job growing weed by growing weed. You can do it in your closet or basement or wherever.

Think about it like this. You're working 40 a week at a real shit job. But you spend half your check on weed.

So you get a cool part time job making half the money, then you just grow the weed, so you don't need the other half of the money, not you've got a part time job growing weed for yourself and you gain experience growing each time and you're doing something you enjoy.

A lot of people w/ 40 hour a week jobs don't realize they could make the same money in half the time waiting tables and buy their own insurance and spend the rest of the day getting blazed off free homegrown dank but there's a lot of people doing it.

7. How do you plan on starting a grow op in Colorado or Washington? Do you have any plans? It is not cheap to suddenly start growing especially considering you'll be trying to join a market already saturated with high end. What part of PA you from?

8. Get a big grow room going then call the DEA

9. i wouldn't recommend it as it's currently illegal

10. I know someone that grows for a dispensary in CO that i may be able to hook you up with.

I do know that you have to be careful growing. One of the guys we used to pick up from(in MA) got involved with the DEA when the store he was buying supplies from was busted for selling plants. He was never charged with anything. We haven't gotten anything from him since then and he had some awesome bud.