Growing upside down, the ultimate low rider.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mycelium, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever heard of someone growing upside down? I know that cannabis plants have phototropism (causes plant to grow towards light) and geotropism (causes them to grow away from gravity). If the plant was grown upside down with a powerful light source below, wouldn't the phototropism and geotropism balance out and cause the plant to stay short even during extended periods of time in vegetative state?

2. There is no 'trick' to keeping plants short besides good timing.

Growing upside down has shown absolutely 100% zero benefits, and, if you're hanging lights BELOW a watering-plant...think about gravity's affect on that water. It doesn't seem safe at all to me.

Depending on the strain, plants will triple to quadruple or even quintuple their length from the first week of 12/12 to finish. That means you should only have a plant a third or a fourth the size of what you CAN grow when you put it into Veg.

But like I said, it's VERY strain dependent. If you've got an indica strain (lowrider is I believe), you should veg it under 18/6 (not 24/7) just to GET it to stretch a little bit. Otherwise, it can't squeeze buds through the leaves. If it's a sativa strain, once a clone or 1 inch cube has roots, 12/12 it and you'll see a massive plant in 10 weeks.

3. Was just a thought cause i see people doing it with tomatoes, but i see from the things you pointed out that it isn't very practical. Just curious if anyone has tried it with cannabis.