Growing Up

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Buddy Dink, Jan 8, 2010.

1. I have been reading a lot of Robert Heinlein books recently, and am currently working on a book titled Stranger in a Strange Land.

I just ran across this quote and it makes so much sense. It puts into words my ideas about growing up, what it means to really be a man, and what the concept of ownership really stems from.

A slight spoiler warning for the rest of the post!

Perhaps I should explain the book slightly before I quote it. Michael Valentine Smith is the "Man from Mars." Born from humans, raised from Martians. At this point in the story he is a full grown adult, but he does not "grok" much about Earth, humans, or their customs. The word "grok" is the most used word in the Martian language and it means literally "to drink," in context it usually means "to understand" or something similar. "Water brothers" are those which are loyal to him and he is loyal to, such a relationship acquired by a "water sharing" ceremony. Jill is one of these water brothers, and has been helping him much like a mother would help a child, or a nurse would help a patient.

This man is a genius with words... I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone.