Growing underwater?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by phyer, Jul 16, 2012.

1. #1 phyer, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
    How dope would it be if you could set up a large operation of plants growing underwater?

It would be a bitch to set up but picture a glass container 6" tall 3" wide that was suspended 2 feet below the surface and had a wide hose going to the nearest shore possibly underground. Might need some sort of ventilation system blowing air in. Hard to set up but if you have the money and time you could theoretically do it yea? The pro of this is it would be almost impossible to get caught if its secluded along with no bugs/pests. Dunno if the light would be enough but its possible....

2. You should be the first person to grow underwater

Nobody would find your shit if its submerged

3. the smell wouldn't be a problem either it wouldnt go through

4. that would be complicated u would need a pool or something and a underground tunnel to get to the plant then a sprinkler system . then u need to somehow make it so u got lights inside the spot. That would be amazing tho if u can figure it out. i was thinking maby u could do what they do at some hotels with the underground water elevator esepct make it so theres no water in the elevator.

5. What if some billionaire built an underwater city that was just for growing weed. They could use ocean currents to generate power for the lights and stuff. You would need an easy way to get the weed out and back to land so you could build a fake offshore oil rig directly above the underwater weed farm and have an elevator in a shaft connecting the two.

Those rigs have to have ships periodically visit them to change out personnel and resupply the rig. That would be perfect cover for transferring the weed onto boats and taking it to land.

If it is built in international waters, would anyone care enough to come try and stop you? Maybe to prevent legal issues and hurdles, the rig above could be a "deep sea research rig" or something.

6. Yes. International waters are not the magical place everyone seems to think they are, and ships are subject to the laws of the nation in which they are chartered anyhow.

7. The glow from the lights might be an issue...

8. stupid idea.......cut back on the smoking.

9. People gonna think its a USO in the water

10. #10 phyer, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
    I haven't smoked in over a year now actually. Thanks for your creative input though brotha. :wave:

I was thinking more in terms of just using the sunlight. They would have to be right near the surface and in clear water but there should be enough light hypothetically. Theres a solid chance all this shit wouldn't work but if I ever get rich Im def going to go for it.

11. The glass top or whatever would have to be very close to the surface of the water, probably no more than 2ft or so. Light intensity degrades significantly over distance in water.

If it were that close to the surface of the water you probably still wouldn't be able to see or find it easily from the ground, but from the air you'd be able to see it pretty easily.

12. It would be certainly pretty cool looking, but very difficult to actually pull off. You'd need to find a good spot with a deep enough container that it won't show at night, and a strong enough container to withstand water pressure. Then you would need a slew of waterproof ventilation equipment to create fresh moving air. Also a power source to power the ballast, fans, timers, etc would be required. And finally you need to be able to pull the container up out of the water for harvest time, or else the buds will get all wet. Unless you trimmed inside the container, but that's just silly.;)

13. Wait do you mean under water like seaweed or like under water not touching the water

14. you could just have a draining room instead of the underground tunnel haha

15. one little problem, the fragile THC and CBD will dissapear through being diluted by the water, it will lead to a few high fish living in the weeds...
    although if you were to coat the buds in some sort of oil which would not harm the buds potency or be toxic to humans

16. The plant wouldn't grow if it was just straight up planted underwater. It will drown, and not receive close to a proper environment to grow.

17. i think ill take a half hour break from getting high. :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  18. ^^ Lol. Yea I was thinking more in like glass containers or something of the sort. How dank would it be if someone genetically modified marijuana and put in seaweed genes so it could grow underwater though... probably impossible as the water would mold the buds? Dunno, with the GMOs out there right now it could be more feasible than one might think.

19. i wouldnt smoke that seaweed isn't smoke able . Someone would do that allready if you could anyways.

20. Lol. Thanks Bill Nye. I realize that straight up seaweed isn't smokable.

My point was if someone cross bred seaweed genes into a marijuana plant to make it be able to grow underwater that would be dope. Most likely wouldn't be happening in the near future (500 years).