Growing to the side..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by pimpygrub, Nov 4, 2008.

1. I'm new so forgive me if this is complete gibberish and ignorance, however..

I've always heard that plants will grow towards the light..so is there a way to train my plant to grow to the side? My problem is that I'm somewhat limited on height (growing in the crawl space below my house) and can only go maybe 4' tall but I would have to build the box under my house since the door is so small. I can, however, go about 50' across if I wanted to. I'm only interested in growing one (MAYBE 2) plants since I'm only an occasional smoker and that would more than last me to next harvest.

I was thinking, start the plant upright but put the light to the side of the plant and it will begin to grow towards the light, then just use string to keep gravity from damaging it as it gets bigger or let it just grow along the ground. I'm not real concerned with it being extremely potent, just pot. I'm a bit of a lightweight and I have no intention to sell anything.

Also, I'm gone 2 weeks out of the month and home for 2 weeks, so it will have to be pretty self sufficient. otherwise I would do the Scrog method, but it seems like it takes to much attention. Any ideas or criticism to evolve on this idea?

PS: http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=7&FGNumber=E-MT6H151G What do you think about that light for 1 plant? 150w HPS

2. you can grow a plant in 4' of space even without training, and yes plants grow toward the light, but they also grow away from gravity, so you'll never win and the plant will always grow up lol.

3. haha i remmeber reading that, yeah thats definitely possible! just g2 build the rotator

4. Thanks Sid, it was actually quite informative. However, I have figured out a way to grow..its less than 4' though. Maybe 3 1/2..haven't actually measured the crawlspace yet. I will figure it all out tomorrow once the sun comes up and the vampires and ghosts got sleep and it's safe again.
    I have bought everything I need to build my 4x4 box but I will be growing tomatoes until I get the hang of it all. Good idea? Once I am ready to move it into the crawl space I will shave the top to make it fit.
    The box will be simple in design and I will be working on it as I get everything down and functioning properly. Hopefully I will be able to put it together tomorrow before I leave for 2 weeks for work. I'll post pics if I do and get some feed back..

5. Ok, a thought just came into my mind with this one. What if you grew the plant inside of a glass tube? I saw rumpleforskin had a glass tube around his light with a cooling setup..you could do the same thing but put the plant inside the tube. a light on top of the tube and one on the bottom to make sure light gets all the way around? Any thoughts on that idea?