Growing straight in the dirt, with no storebought soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WhatUserName, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Now, before you continue reading, I want to state that i know its best to just buy an organic soil mix or compost, but I just want an answer to this question.

What if you were to just pick a spot in a plot of dirt, aerate the soil, and make no amendments whatsoever, and then transplant into it? If you used a liquid organic fertilizer, would you get the same benefits that you would from having organic soil in the first place?

Thanks in advance

2. That's pretty much all I do when I grow outdoors.

3. Great! And how does it work for you? Do you get good firm plants? I'm only growing 2 plants, so I'm looking for quality over quantity.

4. As long as I pick a good location with good light and as close to a sandy loam as I can get, ya they do good.
    Now last year I put 6 out in a new spot I found.
    3 did fantastic because they where on the bottom of a slope with good light.
    The other three where on top of the slope and got some partial shade, also the soil on the top was kinda stoney with little organic matter.
    They didn't do so well.
    If you are not going to fill a hole with your own soil mix, location is vital for sun exposure and soil structure.

5. Good advice, thanks

6. It all depends on what your native soil is. If you live in a fertile valley you can probably use native soil with great results.

7. just add a little oystershell and lime and u should be good...make sure u have enough sunlight..then water with your liquid org. fertilizer...should be all good...