Growing some buds for the frist time!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by unko, Nov 21, 2010.

1. hello all, im new to this forum, but i bought some bongs and shiz from grasscity a couple times so i checked out the forums cuz i just started growing and they have been alot of help, if i didn't come across this forum i would have never gotten my greenthumb.

ok so i just started growing a couple weks ago i've been using a 90W flood light ( i know not the best thing) but i just used that to start them off, now i just got a 70W HPS street light... off the street hahaha, but im asking you guys will a 70W HPS work for like 2-3 plants? it's a pretty small space it's prolly like: H: (5') W: 18" it's a old locker that i had laying around so i turned it into a grow box.

here's a picture of what my plant looks like.. i dunno why it's so tall tho..

Attached Files:

2. lol ive never saw one that tall that small, thats most likely because your light source isnt close enough to the plant. its stretching to get to it. as far as lighting ehhhh even if its 70w with a ballast, you might as well save the space and get some fluorescents(CFLs or tubes) can save you some space and power.

3. yea i was kina thinking that, that might be because was growing with a flood light at first haha. but cfl? i thought HPS was the best? and yes it does have a ballast im gonna see if i can put a 125W bulb in it im not ure but i'll try. yea i don't have much space with wise but i have a whole 5 foot upward! im gonna make these babies grow straight up

4. holy stretch, move them closer to the light, or move the light closer to them, you might have to top the huge one, then put the trimming in water until it roots, unless you happen to have a cloner.

5. yea well i just put a 70W HPS in there and it's pretty close so im gonna wait and see what happens.. you think it will do good if its that tall hahah

6. if youve got 5 feet up i think you should cover the inside with mylar, and put a flouro tube in each corner and have a socket split to two sockets for two cfls with a metal disk reflector, that could be raised or in your case lowered, according to your plant. and the tubes would give you plenty of light on the sides to keep your lower veg lit up.

7. HOLY SHIT MAN!!!! I don't think I have ever seen a plant stretch that much. That thing dwarfs my little plant. I have been growing approx. 2 weeks now and my plant is only 1.7 inches tall with 4 sets of fan leafs and 2 sets of the secondary leafs, what ever you wana call um. LOL

8. the ones that look like miniature plants themselves? and shoot out from the base of the fan leaves? those are called internodes

9. Yeaa there we go. I knew there was a name for them but couldn't think of the name for the life of me lol. I'm pretty high right now >.>

10. so i woke up this morning to go check on my plants and i saw some white stuff on the leaves. is that the THC developing? or something else? and lastnight i kinda over watered them, by the way im using a all purpose nutrients mixed with water and giving it to them. is that good or should i just use regular water?

11. you shouldnt be giving them anything this early on other than water, and no THC doesnt develope in noticable ammounts on leaves until flowering.

get them in a pot that doenst have clear sides, roots hate light, and it can kill them.

12. daym.. ok normal water for now when flowering nutes right? shit shit shit. ok i'll get some pots right now. ALSO im using a 70W high pressure sodium light that has a ballast, and a.... i don't know what watt CFL bulb would this be enough for a couple plants.. maybe 3 or 4?

13. The rule of thumb is to have at least 100 watts a plant and 50 watts for each additional plant. This is just a suggestion tho. Right now I am only using two 26w cfl's and my plant is doing just fine. I only have one plant tho and I am hoping it's a girl.

14. #14 unko, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    ok guys the time has come i finnaly took some of my time today and fixed up my box, moved my lights around hung them and secured them right, fixed my shelving system and re potted my plants. i am now using my 70W HPS on top of everything and a CFL bub belowe it.

here ya go guys i hope yah like what i've did. soon this will be looking like jesus's locker when he was in HIGH school.

IGNORE THE FIRST PICTURE i uploaded the wrong one. all the rest are new tho

Attached Files: