Growing questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by offramp13, Dec 17, 2008.

1. I am trying to plan my first grow, but i have 3 questions:

1- What kind of timer should i get so that i can do 18/6 and 12/12 lighting on my plants? A quick search turned up this on amazon, i don't know if that is the right kind of thing or not.

2 - I read a guide on Low Stress Training. It doesn't look very difficult and it seems like a good help to increase yield, but do I need to do it? More importantly should I do it? The guide i saw said to do the LST then switch to 12/12 lighting which starts the flowering. Does this mean i need to wait until after LST to sex my plants? When does that need to be done?

3 - Do i need to use CFL or can i use the long skinny Flourescents? Will two long (about 4') flourescent tubes be enough for 4-6 plants?

Thanks for your help, I'll post here again if i have any more questions.

2. 1. That timer is fine.

2. LST keeps the plant low and opens up the plant to allow better light penetration. It is not necessary but IMO helpful. While the plant is young and pliable gently train it over and around as it grows. The operative concept is Low Stress.

3. You will need a minimum of 2500 lumen per square foot of garden. CFLs HID or Flouro tubes...they're all good so long as the light is the correct spectrum and intense enough.

Remember that tubes spread the light out over a larger area so the lumens per square foot are lower than a more concentrated (compact) source