Growing plants in a quiet town

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by RelinquishedAll, Jul 15, 2012.

1. #1 RelinquishedAll, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
    Hey there grasscity,

Not too long ago I decided I wanted to grow my own herb. I fell into the rabbit hole of cannabis growing information, and started about a week ago.

As this is my first grow, I felt it would be a good thing to keep a journal. This way I can keep track of what I have done, and in that way I can see what I have done wrong if my plants don't survive.

**EDIT**
    The strain is Haze x autoflower

The second reason to keep a journal is so you, the experienced and/or educated members of grasscity, can perhaps help me in my mission to grow cannabis.

My plan is to grow as many plants as possible in my house, and let them grow for a week or so, after which I plan to go guerilla. I am aware that this might be shocking for the plant, but I think I can do it.

Here are a few pictures of the process up till now:

Germinating the seeds
    [​IMG]

Planted the seeds that germinated in some garden soil, which I watered before plating the seeds and gave some time to drain. Covered them in bags to keep the moist in in the early stages
    [​IMG]

Hurray! The first one to see what is happening topside
    [​IMG]

They're all growing so fast, look at them pretty small green leaves!
    [​IMG]

Overview of all the plants
    [​IMG]

5 of the seeds have not germinated yet, I wonder if they will.

So far, so good. If I manage to keep even 1 of them alive, and smoke one tiny bowl from them, I'd be very happy.

Stay tuned for updates :)

2. Go noob, go!!! Lookin good, soil seems a bit too wet in a couple of those pics, tho. You may consider supplementing that windowsill with a cfl bulb or two? Itll keep ur sprouters from stretching up so skinny. Whats the story on the strains? Bagseed? Any plan for what nutrients, soils, etc? Good luck, ill be watching and will help if possible...

3. Looking fucking rad so far man, for help further on check my journal too the links in my sig.:)

4. Thanks guys :)

Ah I get it. So they are probably stretching out so fast and skinny because they think they're in the shade of other plants (lack of light). Thanks for the tip!

Would this be a lamp fit for the job? [​IMG]

I got the seeds from a friend who grows his weed outside. He said it was a hybrid he made, but I dont know what strains.

For the soil, I'm not really sure what to do with it. I have 2 fertilisers (found 'em somewhere in the house)

One says: Bonemeal for fertiliser 5% organically bound Nitrogen (N) and 16% organically bound Phosphor (P2O5)

And the other says NPK 4-10-6

So I'm not sure which of those I'll use, or if I decide to buy another one or even make my own.

Later I want to add a passive ventilation system, by sticking a pvc in the ground near the plant, guard it from snails with some sort of fence.

I just found a huge field filled with nettle's, which should mean Mary Jane likes to grow there too.

Thanks for the help GuerillaNugget!

5. I would mix those two together evenly, then use it at a 1/5 fert to soil ratio. Looking good bro!

6. Thanks, I´ll try that!

I have a lot of these clay balls that are used for hydroculture, and I thought it would be good for my plants to add a few (crushed) in the soil. They can absorb water, so the soil isn´t too wet (causing rotting of the roots), and they could function as a water reservoir. The minerals in clay should be good for the plant too.

[​IMG]

The plants are still doing great, looking greener and stronger every day. I never thought growing plants would be so fun! Every day when i wake up, the first thing I do is check up on them, and talk to them. Giving them as much love as I can, perhaps sing them a song. Although it probably has no effect on them, it does make the experience more fun and the final product more rewarding (if I can keep them alive)

7. #7 RelinquishedAll, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
    It´s been about 8-9 days ago when I started germinating the seeds. Six of them did not germinate, but 13 of them did :) That's really just about 13x more than I expected.

The plants are doing great so far, they look healthy, green, and eager to live.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on letting them grow in these pots for about a week longer. In the mean time, I'll be preparing soil, growing spots and expanding my knowledge about growing.

Happy growing guys :)

8. DO NOT keep them on that window sill. They will stretch untill they die. Put them outside in lots sun. They will be fine since they have probably hardened off on windowsill... Man, eventually they will just stretch and stretch untill the stem is so weak, when you go to transplant them also you can bury that stem that stretched. Your plants will be stretched out if they have a stretched out stem and will be very weak. I would put them outside now, ditch the 1 week plan. They should be outside.

9. Looking good so far. Just remember, loose lips sink ships.

10. You're right. I have just moved them outside, still in the pots though. I'll speed up the process of moving them to their secret locations. Thanks for the tip bro.

11. I prepared the soil as Regular Jerry suggested, and will be preparing the spots either tomorrow or the day after. I expect to have all the equipment prepared and in place within a week.

12. thats fine, your gonna want a well developed root system before you transplant anyways... they can stay in those for around 1 or 2 more week. i would actually throw more dirt in some them and fill up the dirt around the weak stems? it will be good in the long run. Just a question, when do things flower around you and how much time do you have? I know around here we got around 2 or 3 more weeks before things start to flower.

13. I just threw some more dirt in with the plants that seemed weak, I think they should be fine now. I don't have a lot of time actually, I started about 2-3 weeks late. So in the end this all might be a major disappointment, but it will learn me a lot for next season.

The friend that gave me the seeds is coming back from a festival one of these days, then I can ask him what strain it was, and how the flowering season is around here.

I could be very lucky, because Holland's summers have been weird for the last few years. It's like everything moved up 2 months. We'll see :)

Thanks for the help man.

14. I think they´re enjoying being outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Much better. You should have filled those pots to the top, they would have stretched less but, now you know.
    Build up some soil around those stems as much as you can. Even if its for a week or two, it'll help alot.

16. Will do, thanks :)

17. The weather is terrible here at the moment. Last night I woke up because of the heavy rainfall, rushed outside to bring them inside. I hope the soil did not get too wet, as it might cause root rot. For now I have moved them back inside, but I moved them to a window with a lot more light.

[​IMG]

They all see to do fine. It came to my attention that the upper left plant only has 2 leaves (round ones), instead of 2 round ones and 2 crooked ones likes the others. Still looks healthy and green though.

I hope the weather takes a turn for the better here..

18. #18 ElementChron, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    No. Bring them backoutside immediatly in the fullsun rain or not. Plants need rain, its not going to rot from being wet for a night, They need sun or they will continue to stretch. Full-sun.
    You cant grow pot on a windowsill properly unless you brought it from outside to inside. Unless you have a windowsill that gets more then 11 hours of direct light shit wont grow right.
    Also Fill up the soil to the tops of those cup and your friend, dont let anybody know that your doing this.
    Tell him that they died or something, thats how you get ripped off if you dont and he knows you have them going . :wave:
    You should put a cloth or something over them if the rain is a little heavy yet for them. If anything the rain would strengthen the stems, let them dry out before you give them the next water. Holland is a prime growing place, the dutch way. Take advantage of that place, if things are just starting to grow around you chances are mj is too. Its near the fall cannabis starts to turn.

19. I suppose you´re right. Let mother nature do her work. Good news: The weather will take a turn for the better (If I should believe the weather forecast..)

For the rest of the world, they died because of the heavy rainfall and wind. All stems snapped.

Thanks for the advice man :) I will post an update in the nearby future.

20. Those weak stems before hand didnt help :rolleyes: well now you have lived and learn. did they all just snap and fall over or did they actually die and burn to crisp all shriveled up. Because if there stems just snapped and now they're hanging over they still might make a recovery still... :confused::eek: was this my fault?