Growing outside in the winter?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by selfsustained, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hello, I'm thinking about setting up a new grow, which I have one already in one of my garages out side that is not heated.
    Here's what I'll have.
    4x4x6 foot grow tent with sturdy walls.
    1000w HPS/MH ballast with a open bulb reflector
    10 auto plants in 3.5 gal containers.
    one big fan on the plant can add another one and one fan aimed at the light
    two small fans pushing fresh and old air out of the tent
    I'll be using fox farm ocean forest soil with FF Nuts towards the end

So my big question if this set up in in a non heated garage will the 1000w light be able to keep the grow tent in the 75-85 degree so the plants will grow good. The garage will be wind proof.

2. This is in Minnesota so are winters range from warm to cold.

3. i live in maine that light will heat while the lights are on my only worry is it gets really cold when the lights are off. i have a basement that gets down to the low 50 when lights are off. i have to add heat with a small radiator heater works great. Find your high and low temps before adding plants if you can. keep an eye on the humidity also, I have a humidifier going to hope this helps and good luck
    :smoking::smoking:

4. Hello thanks for the reply, 50 is cold but it could get as low as 0 and up so would the 1000w in a tent keep enough heat and would a electric heater keep it warm in the off light cycles?

5. #5 pg08, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    I grow in a garage with a grow tent and a 4ft long 8 bulb t5 and have no problems. I just had my lights on during the night (when it drops into the 30's or lower) and the lights keep it warm. As for a 1000 I believe you will have plenty of heat to keep it warm! Just have them on at night and if you need a heater lowes has a big one that's nice for $40 you just set the temp on the digital gauge and sit back and grow and it's big enough to hear a whole garage.