Growing on a 5 Mile Trail

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Monte_Cristo, May 14, 2013.

1. So I germinated a few seeds and planted them along a 5 mile trail that I regularly run. There is only 1 seed per site and each site is a bit off of the trail and through some rather dense, tick filled foliage. Each site is near a water source and there is at least half a mile between each plant. People do use the trail regularly, but I figured anyone that sees me walking off trail can be given the "taking a leak" excuse.

I didn't pay anything for the seeds, as they were saved from bags bought throughout the year, because of this I suppose I don't technically stand to lose any money. Also I'm not stupid, I've seen "Heat" with Al Pacino and Robert De Niro, I know to cut my losses if the cops start poking around. And Finally, my expectations for this little summer project aren't particularly high, so I don't think I run the risk of getting my hopes up, although I expect that will change if things go well.

So do you guys have any advice for me? Is there anything I'm not thinking of? I've taken a few botany courses so I know a little about pH and such. And also I was planning on visting every other day, but almost right away I learned on this forum that that is a terrible plan, and that the idea is to visit as little as possible.

Advice is welcome and appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. More important question is what state you're planting this in and whether you have a patient card. If you don't live in a state where medical use and growing is allowed, or don't have a card I think this will be a failed venture. Even in those states you are not allowed to grow anything outside your home.

Also, you should figure out what is the legal status of this trail. Is it a national park territory or someone's private property that touches the trail.
    If somehow in unlikely way the authorities see this on public land and if they somehow connect it to you they'll punish you bad.

Depending how active authorities are, I think they won't just pull the plants if they find them. They might observe them to see who is taking care of them. Even put a hidden cam nearby. I don't know.

But I think more likely is someone else will see it randomly and harvest it for themselves. Hikers and teens roam in areas like this and they'll find it I think, itis hard to miss and I think experienced people know that sometimes these plants are randomly planted by people. Also wild animals could eat the roots.

3. If and I mean if the seeds actually germ then I'd just leave them and maybe dump at waterbottleful of water every so often on them 

4. Chances of success are low, but rewards if successful are high (no pun intended) Its smart not to get your hopes up but that being said a little diligence goes a loooooooooooong way. Did you amend the soil, or is it just native?  If native is it decent dirt, or all full of clay? What are you planning to do for nutes?

and YES the chances of police placing trailcams near your sites to bust you is a real possibility especially in Zero Tolerance states out in the midwest. But you were smart to spread your plots the risk of losing them all has decreased considerably.  
    Be careful when you visit the spots try and take a different route each time so as not the make a definable trail right to them. Keep a bandana on hand to cover your face and READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ the stickies around here about outdoor cultivation.  Watch oldpork and dankohzee the amount ive learned from them is heinous ! Good luck and stay safe out there man  

5. Without proper prepping of the site, the chance for success with  any type of yield, will be low. You need to do something to the soil so that you give your seeds a chance at growing up nicely.

As for visiting, i wouldnt ever go more than once a week, unless your need to cover/uncover your plants for frost or tie them up for a wind storm/tornado. I tie mine up as soon as they go in the ground so i dont have to return for that reason. Makes them more noticable but ensures success. If it rains that week, i normally skip it and go the following week. Sundays are always a good day to visit around here as most people are at church, resting, watching sports.

I personally dont like planting regular seeds outside, spending all the time required and necessary to maintain them, with only a 50/50 chance of being female just isnt worth it for me. Not that all fems seeds are always female but i like my odds better.

6. Thanks for the advice guys! It's been a week and I checked on one of the plants for the first time since I planted them. I only checked on one since I usually get pretty high before I go running and I may or may not have forgotten where I put the other ones haha. The plant I checked on is up and running with four little leaves,  that was with no watering and the other spots are just as good if not better, so I'm taking that as an indicator that the other ones are doing fine, which is enough a reason for me to not risk going to them.

The plants are all in areas of thick vegetation between fields used for corn. The farmers have already planted and are just watering. I'm hoping this means 2 things: that 1. There wont be any trail cams and 2. That once the corn gets high enough it will cover me going into the woods, making it that much more convenient, hopefully the two grow at generally the same rate.

I'm so pleased in the responses and advice I got here, as well as the results of the plant I checked on that I've just now started germinating 2 more seeds. I'll probably scout for a spot for them using the same method, as my goal is for the plants to just blend in with the rest of the fauna. 

I've also heard tell that powdered mustard is a good organic pest repellent, so I may do some more research and pick up some of that, as well as any other "gardening" supplies I may need. The key with this is things that I can store in a tiny fanny pack I wear when I run that totally makes me look cool. I try to carry as little as possible since the mean purpose of these runs are still to run haha.

Please keep the advice coming and Thanks!,
    Monte Cristo

7. Are you sure you are unable to grow something in the closet of your apartment? Or basement, if you own a house. I think it'll be safer and you'll avoid a lot of risk. If the soil is lean you might avoid having pests attack the plant. There are varieties of indict weed that grow indoors.