Growing old seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mikegokingsgo, May 14, 2020.

1. Hello everyone,

I am trying to grow seeds I have had for a few years in a grow tent with LED lighting. I have had hardly any growth in my older seeds. Is it possible to effectively grow older seeds? What could I do to increase growth?

One of the pictures below shows the older mj seedling (Loud Mouth) and a feminized seedling that I recently purchased from a seed bank (Chem OG). Both seem to be growing slower than expected...

I have my LED lighting at the suggested height and have been keeping the humidity in the 70-80% range. I am also watering them with distilled water with a ph of 6.0. Next time I will probably start them with cfl lighting before using the LED.

I appreciate any tips or suggestions! Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. What medium are you using?
    If it's soil the pH is wrong.......should be around 6.5.
    Why distilled water?

3. Thanks for the response, I will check the soil PH. I thought distilled water was best for seedlings (from what I read). Should I be watering with tap water instead?

4. Also, I am using a quality organic potting soil mixed with perlite. Since I couldn’t find seed starting mix, I used a sifter to remove the larger wood chips.

5. When I said that the pH should be around 6.5.......I was talking about the pH of the water, not the soil itself.
    My reasoning has been......if you can drink your tap water, so can your plant. It has minerals in it that are beneficial to plants........distilled is dead.

Good luck with your grow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Big facts! Distilled water doesn’t have this. See how your tap water reads. Also if your gonna buy water use purified water. It’s closer to 7.0 and still has some minerals just less than tap most likely. And from what I understand if you go that route you’ll need to add cal mag. I’m currently using tap water in my grow. my water before fertilizers is pretty good already so i use it to feed nutes I mix up and use it plain when not feeding nutes

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. OR..
    You can MIX a little of your tap water WITH your distilled water and gradually taper off distilled.. tap water shouldn’t hurt it but diluting it can help if you have especially hard water

8. Seen dudes poppin seeds from the 70s. Old stock can still be fine.
    I prefer cfl for starting under. Got 130w reflectors in 14k. Absolute dogshit for growing with but for the first 2 weeks it keeps pace with just about anything on the market.
    At 6 inches away i get 8 perfect, 4 node seedlings in 14 days.
    Soon as the 4th node is out get them under decent lights cos the cfl is useless passed that point.