Growing my first grow in a 7 foot locker

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Markosuave, Aug 12, 2012.

1. So I have been an avid smoker and been around a lot of my friends growing. I live in ca where all it takes to legally grow is going to the doctor and getting a 40 dollar card. But I'm renting.... And don't want my landlord to know I'm growing. I just came across a 7 foot tall locker by 2 or 3 feet wide. I am picking up my locker sometime this week. I have done research on grow lockers but wanted to know if anyone had experience doing it. The pros and cons and everything in between. I will post pics of my set up/progress as soon as I get it. I'm in no rush and plan on putting the set up together in about 2 months. Sense my budget is a little tight at the moment. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Also I'm not to sure about the lights I should use I'm not to sure about that. And also would it be better if the vents for it would be better at the top or bottom of the locker

3. either a 250 watt HID or a large watt, like 250+watt horticultural CFL. Ventilation is key. You have to move that air, most tents come with vent holes. You'll need a small centrifugal fan and ducting. it will save you a night mare. Either bulbs will work fine.
    Sea of Green Hydroponics, Grow Lights, Complete Grow Systems

4. [quote name='"clint torres"'] Ventilation is key. You have to move that air, most tents come with vent holes. You'll need a small centrifugal fan and ducting. it will save you a night mare. /URL][/quote]

I am drilling about a 2 inch while at the top for a vent. I wasent to sure if that was enough or not tho because 7 feet tall is pretty tall and im my sure if it will circulate the air on the bottom or not

5. #5 clint torres, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    The key is to keep the air moving at the canopy and not to let the temp at the canopy go above like 80* F. It's, best, I believe, to suck the hot air from the top out if you can. Like a high fan blowing the hot air out or down and anoscillating fan to move the cooler floor air. most tents i have seen have a vent in the top and one in the bottom to facilitate this.:smoke:

You could get two small centrifugal fans, like 2 inchers, and run one at bottom sucking in cool air and one mounted near top pulling out the hot air. Then one or two oscillating fans to move the middle air and blow/exercise your girls.

6. Ok so I have access to a drill so that is really no problem with installing it. I was just most worried about where. The locker is actually a few inches off the ground, would it be best if I actually drilled a whole at the bottom and blowing air straight up? I'm doing in my concrete garage where the floor is always cold so it would possibly blow up slightly cooler air

7. #7 lowd, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    I have a little veg mother area in a filing cabinet a metal one at that. I can comment on a few things. First off anything mechanical you have in there make sure you try to dampen it because metal just resonates sound and vibration almost to the point of annoyance. Not sure what your doing for the inside I would think paint would be the easiest and take up the least amount of room. I was gonna suggest getting some foam sheets from like the depot or lowes and line it with that for sound issues but may not be necessary depending on your set up. Your most likely gonna have to cut some holes in it top and bottom to move some air through it with passive intakes and a fan to expel it. Make sure no live wires are touching the cabinet ask me how i know go ahead ask lol. You don't want your right arm going numb while your doing a simple peek in on your girls. Some pictures and such of the actual cabinet would help with some suggestions along with the room and placement of where its going to be. I know light leaks can be an issue with metal as well, some times depending on how the doors open and close together there can be gaps. I know said its kind of tall but casters help lift it off the ground make it a little more maneuverable as well just make sure the fucker isn't top heavy and tips over. Good luck.

8. [quote name='"lowd"']I have a little veg mother area in a filing cabinet a metal one at that. I can comment on a few things. First off anything mechanical you have in there make sure you try to dampen it because metal just resonates sound and vibration almost to the point of annoyance. Not sure what your doing for the inside I would think paint would be the easiest and take up the least amount of room. [/quote]

I'm not too worried about noise as its in my garage separate from my house but also very secure. And as for the inside I've been reading a lot about people either painting them or putting Mylar (space blanket) as a liner on the inside which is also a cheap do.

9. Yes that is cheap to do. What are the temperatures going to be like in your garage year round? Is it going to get real cold or hot in there? Temperature is going to have to be considered if its a year round thing and you have swings. Foam insulation could help lower those swings if they are going to be an issue. You wont need an intake fan just one to expell air and possibly a circulation fan for the plants. If you have room on top of that cabinet you can cut a bigger hole than 2 inch but it all depends on the size exhaust fan you use. Remember if your going to flower in there your going to need to light trap any inlet and outlet to.

10. On the tents the vent is on the side, near the bottom. on the bottom would work though. the key is CIRCULATION and temperature. On the tents they have a vent near the bottom and one near the top. you want to keep the hot air moving out of the top and the cool air coming in from the bottom. You can get a 4" centrifugal fan or two. One at the top would suck out the hot air bringing in the cool air. a second fan at the bottom would bring in cool air. you need ducting for those but it is real cheap. One centrifugal fan at top or bottom plus a small oscillating fan would work. You need to keep temps, while the light is on at between 68-75* F. perfect is 70*. If you live in a cooler area it won't be a problem, I live in THE desert so temps are a constant battle.

Yes one or two vents at both top and bottom, at lease one good cent fan and a regular fan, you should be fine. CIRCULATION

11. In the summer it stays about 75 80 in my garage if I leave it unopened. During the winter it will more than likely get colder so maybe I should try the insulation. I just moved in my new place about 2 months ago so I'm not 100 percent sure how cold my garage temp will be in the winter

12. The ridig foam insulation will surely help retain heat if you have to. Lights get pretty warm but you may need a small heater and some thermostats controlling heat, fans etc.

13. i agree with loud. My temps year round was staying at 82* no matter what I did. I had the centrifugal fan on the floor sucking up all the cool air, that went through my hood and out the exhaust. My washing machine flooded so i had to tear it down for a day. Luckily i had just harvested literally the day before. Anyway, when i set it up again I left one end of the hood open, attached the ducting on the other end to the fan and out the other side of the fan to the exhaust. it has reduced my average temp by 5-6*. Significant difference. In the winter just the lights could do it but keep them containers off the floor, on pallets or foam. Yes the foam insulation will help keep it warm and cool.