Growing medium for seeds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tattoo400, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hello, I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I need to know and the sooner the better. I have Master Kush and Cheeze seeds.....two I sprouted using the paper towel method and once I saw the tap roots I put them in rockwool cubes and then into the hydro set up I have. The Master Kush seems to be okay (as it is on it's 2nd set of leaves) and the Cheeze is looking sick:/ wtf did I not do right? how can I screw up something so fn simple?? I put two more seeds in the wet paper towel and put them into rockwool as soon as I saw tap roots ( all be it they were really really short and the seeds looked black and had already been in there for at least 5 days). My concern is this......the potting soil I got (super soil) has a small amount of nutes in it already and I know the seedling don't need much if any food so what do I use for a medium if I am not growing them hydro? I have a Purple Kush and Chocolope that are about ready for planting.....but in WHAT is my question....I really don't want to destroy the plants before they even have a chance to grow.....thanks in advance! 

2. Im not a fan of rockwool... imo, i like to drop germed seeds in a mix of mostly black gold starting soil, with some ocean forest soil mixed in.. not too much, they dont need it yet. And! a little extra perlite to lighten the mix up and aerate the root zone.  If you wana do hydro try rapid rooters, i feel they perform better than rockwool. Many would disagree, but ive had good results. soak in 5.6 ph water, shake out, drop germed seed in, pop in a dome with a light over it and keep moist from the bottom so the roots grow down. let gravity work for ya!

• Like Like x 1
    Start your seeds in cheap peat pucks if you are not doing hydro. When planting a germinated seed in either rockwool or the peat puck, be sure not to touch the root with your bare hands. The oils on your skin can mess it up.

I don't personally like the paper towel method. I drop my seeds into a glass of water, and leave the glass in a warm dark place for 24-48 hrs. You don't need a big tap root, 1/8-1/4 inch is enough.