growing marijuana in a tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by hd2, Apr 27, 2009.

1. shes smelling very fruity right now, my clothes and fingers reek after i come out of the woods :D

yeah i was feeding her some organic stuff that wasn't very powerful and then i started getting alot of yellow leaves. so at that point i switched it to miracle gro bc of nitrogen deficiency and there's alot of people that discourage it but it turned the plant from about half of the fan leaves yellowing and stunted buds to what you see.. and the top colas have had tremendous growth...... and yes she's still in the tree :smoke:

2. This is doing very good.. congrats on a great grow so far!

3. been a while since the last post but everything is doing just fine as you can see below. i had a little scare though; two nights ago we got some very heavy rain and the city i live in got flooded so i went back the next day to check on her and found her tilted pretty heavily to one side. so i tied the stalk up with some shoe laces and the netting that we had used to keep out birds and shes doing just fine.

got a few questions though for the experienced (or not) growers... in some parts of the plant i'm seeing much darker hairs and amber trichomes that aren't found in other places so i was wondering if i can harvest different branches at different times? bc as you can see the main colas still have alot of growing to do but i dont want to cause too much stress. also i'm beginning to spot amber trichomes in some of the main colas where there still are way too many white hairs and the buds are obviously too underdeveloped to harvest so any suggestions on that?? thanks, anything helps :smoke:

Attached Files:

4. I have harvested different parts at different times the lower branches will be super happy to have a few more weeks of full light. Good job on your first grow.

5. wow man your plant is doing amazing in the tree! i was wondering... u dont have any bug problems?? and what do you use to prevent them

6. we do have some bug problems but to be honest not as many as we expected. we've been using an organic insect killer off and on so there were times when i wouldn't spray it for a couple weeks and there wouldn't be more than two or three bite marks on the whole plant. we hadn't really thought about it but it makes perfect sense that there wouldn't be as many if it was elevated 25 feet up in a tree. but ive seen more bugs on it since its been flowering so i've started using it again so they'll back the fuck off of my beautiful buds

7. Here we are, beginning of fall,that plant has a good amount of bud on her don't she? :D This is an awesome grow OP! I've never seen a grow in a tree that turned out as well as this has. The buds are getting nice n frosty. And to think, its your first grow. :) I'm lovin it

8. OK I AM IN A HUGE PANIC RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    i was thinking i'd harvest in about a week or two and was hoping it would stay dry here. well so far this week we've gotten almost 5 inches of rain and the forecast says even more tonight tomorrow and saturday and the plant is too large to take out of the tree to keep it intact. theres no place above the tree to tie a tarp or anything and i'd rather not harvest yet.. but if i have to then i will. pleeease help i dont want this thing to die and i already noticed a small amount of mold on a bud, it hasn't spread yet but im sure it will if it gets much more.

HEEELPPP!!!

9. to keep rain off just for overnight i cut 5 translucent trash bags and stapled them together to make a thin tarp that wouldn't weigh down the plant and tied it to a few branches on the tree so it's not just resting on it and light can still get through somewhat and theres plenty of air flow. the reason i got this desperate is bc i live in ky and theres a flood warning for my county until tomorrow morning. after we've already had a flood this week i couldn't take the chance plus it'll be raining through sunday, so we'll see :(:(:(:(

10. your idea sounds like it should help out. Ill be hoping for the best with your baby. Its def the best you can do. only thing better would be clear plastic over the plant like a tarp. If you could get three tie points and angle it in one diraction the rain should just run off while allowing ost of the suns light to hit her still

11. nice idea... did u end up harvesting your ready buds or r u doing it all tougether?

be aware of mold!!! seems like everywhere its been rainy like a bitch just in time for fukin harvest :|

12. i clipped off a couple nugs that looked like they were close to ready but they were pretty small amounts. i left all the main colas and nugs hoping that they'd survive but we'll see. and yeah i know what u mean about the rain, there have just been waves of just really awful storms pretty much all over and i expect ill be seeing some more mold in a few days. and ill be looking for a fungicide so if anyone knows one i'd appreciate a recomendation. its just so unfortunate to see a gorgeous plant get serious problems like this a week before harvest :(

13. heres a link to cortos insectide guide
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/335656-natural-insecticides-fungicides.html

i just put a tbsp of antibacterial dish soap, clove of garlic and a tbsp of pepper with warm water i think its for a liter. i mmake sure everything is crushed to that the juices of the garlic and pepper will come out.. but seems like it needs to be reapplied everytime it is rained on :| maybe u shuld take a look at the guide instead hehe ... gl :wave:

14. thanks i think i may use the baking soda or milk solution since i already have them and its supposed to rain more tonight so ill spray it tomorrow.

i went back there this morning and still not seeing too much mold thank god, but the buds have definitely taken a hit as far as quality but we'll see how it goes. also i began drying several small branches and some buds so ill be updating soon

15. glad it seems to be staying mold free. The trichs arent usually affected a whole lot by rain so hopefully the quality will be better then you expect. Can't wait for updates

16. how much wind is too much? we're getting winds tomorrow supposed to be around 20-30 mph and wind would be good to help dry the plant out but i didnt know if that would damage anything especially with buds so heavy from that rain

17. it might cause some heavy branches to bend and snap over if they are having trouble holding their buds up. All depends on how flimsy/beefy the stems are.

18. narley gro man!! looking mad +rep

19. the wind storm yesterday turned out to hardly bother the plant at all. also i smoked a blunt of some of the buds that had dried quickly yesterday and got ripped very strong head high but the taste wasn't anything special. also thought i'd mention i got into a panic today when i came home and checked my buds and found them dry but smelling like hay... but after about 2 minutes of research i calmed down and threw the dried buds in a jar to begin curing which seems to remedy this problem.
    ill keep you all updated on everything

about time for a bud update as well... :D

Attached Files:

20. I have seen numbers of people trying to grow in trees. Never seen much in way of yield though.