growing male

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by abige69, Feb 18, 2015.

1. if i grow a male a decide to keep it for 'breeding', i know id have to remove from females, but will it have to be put in a diff room or will it be ok in same room as females, as long as i keep them seperated? - say ive remove the dreaded male into another room, will i hav to make another specalist grow area for it? or can i just treat it like a house plant? im only wondering cos we go thru all this trouble with the girls so they produce nice fat buds but we dont/cant with the males.

:smoke:

2. They need to be moved very far away if it puts out pollen it can effect any plants in the same area, its very fine and gets moved through the air so I wouldn't have them in the same room at all.

3. I would just put it in a SEPERATE room with 1 daylight cfl on a 12/12 schedule. No fans. By week 4 you can cut the male up and put each branch in a cup of water. Have wax paper underneath all of the cups. Leave it alone. By week 8 it will drop all of its pollen

4. #4 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    It will likely pollinate them to a certain degree if it's kept in the same house. Pollen gets everywhere. Kept in the same room you would fully and completely pollinate all your flowering females

Once flowering starts you can leave it without a light and it will take a week before it gets sick. This will likely be enough time to collect some pollen. Or you could keep it going with a small CFL, 20w or so. 

This male was grown under just 40watts

[​IMG]

This is the amount of pollen I was getting off it every other day 

[​IMG]

5. I don't feel like digging up the study I remember on allergies, but cannabis pollen can float through the air for 5 miles!  I'd keep that door shut as much as possible!

Granny

6. cheers peeps nice answers n no horrible-ness either, cheers, another question, is male pollen good for anything otherthan pollinating females? is it thc/smokable?
    thanx again :smoke:

7. #7 GoldGrower, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
    Unfortunately not.

It dies really easily and quickly too. Any hint of moisture or if it's a few days old it will be finished. I ran a few experiments a couple years back trying to freeze it but I killed the pollen every time. It can be frozen but I think it need to be specially sealed and frozen fast. Anyway, my point is, have it ready when you need it because it has a shelf life of just a few days

8. Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
    (abst – 2005)  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15688956?ordinalpos=50&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Chemical investigation of the pollen grain collected from male plants of Cannabis sativa L. resulted in the isolation for the first time of two flavonol glycosides from the methanol extract, and the identification of 16 cannabinoids in the hexane extract. The two glycosides were identified as kaempferol 3-O-sophoroside and quercetin 3-O-sophoroside by spectroscopic methods including high-field two-dimensional NMR experiments. The characterisation of each cannabinoid was performed by GC-FID and GC-MS analyses and by comparison with both available reference cannabinoids and reported data. The identified cannabinoids were delta9-tetrahydrocannabiorcol, cannabidivarin, cannabicitran, delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabicyclol, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabinol, dihydrocannabinol, cannabielsoin, 6a, 7, 10a-trihydroxytetrahydrocannabinol, 9, 10-epoxycannabitriol, 10-O-ethylcannabitriol, and 7, 8-dehydro-10-O-ethylcannabitriol.

Also....

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco.      (abst – 2005)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21338017

"In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops."

I'd at least give the male a try!  Worst that happens is "nothing"- the best, he has the right genes and you get stoned!  :smoke:  (I am NOT saying that all males will get you stoned, just that if the genetics are right, they can! :yay: )

Granny

9. When they say "tops" are they talking about the bud? I have never seen trichomes on male bud, so I can't see how they could have the same amount of THC as female bud . But I'm not sure what they mean by "the same order". I wouldn't be surprised if males contain THC but I very much doubt they have a high enough concentration to get any effect.

But I do agree that giving it a try can't do any harm

10. It all depends on the genetics of the males! In some strains, the males are "hemp". Also, being "sticky" is counter-productive for males. Their pollen is supposed to fly free to the nearest sticky female, not get stuck to the plant that is releasing it!

However, there is the occasional "sticky male- again, the right combo of genes is needed, but nature selects against it. I think we are making a big mistake simply dismiss ALL males as weak, because most are! We should be looking for those sticky males for several reasons- first that you can smoke them!  :smoke: 

Secondly, they would shed far less pollen, so that your "Sticky-icky" strain male is less likely to fertilize some neighbor's virgin "White Widow" plants. (And as a side note, if you are in an area where growing is allowed, grow the better-smelling strains. Lemony, fruity and piney are more acceptable odors to the neighbors than "Road-kill Skunk x Double Diesel"!)

"Of the same order"- This means that in this study the males and females of this landrace strain were in the same range of potency.
     It is well known that in a field of cannabis, even in a field of a time-tested landrace variety, there will be variations in potency, but most plants will fall within a certain range of potency.  Remember those bell curves in math? Well, they found that both the males and females fell in the bulge of the bell!  (FYI- landrace = the ancient, local inbred variety)

OK, break time is over for Granny! Back to working on the List- I am almost done!!! I am to the point of dividing it up into 4 (?) sections- there are SO MANY studies that I'm cutting it into the old stuff- "pre-2000", then "2000- 2009",  and "2010- Legalization(?)", and "the synthetics".  OK, have to stop procrastinating and get back to slaving over a hot computer! :wave: 

Granny

Thc is found in the trichomes, if they have no trichomes there's no way in hell they could have anywhere near the amount of thc as females. I suspect the people who conducted that test didn't know shit about growing. It stands for itself that if your females have the same thc content as a male then you probably completely ballsed it up lol. 

You say a sticky male would less likely pollinate the females. Have you ever grown a male? it doesn't matter how sticky it was, they pump out so much pollen that one male can completely coat itself and pollinate any standard sized grow entirely. But even if sticky males did lower the pollination count, removing them before they flower is still going to be a far better solution because it will lower pollination by 100% 

12. #12 Storm Crow, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
    You know, these dudes were not just rolling a few up and seeing if they got stoned! They were actually measuring the amount of THC!

Cultivation of Cannabis sativa L. in northern Morocco.
    Stambouli H1, El Bouri A, Bellimam MA, Bouayoun T, El Karni N.
    Author information
    AbstractField studies on cannabis cultivation have provided socio-economic data relating to, inter alia, production, yield and income. But only laboratory analyses of cannabis plants can provide information on their chemical composition and their levels of psychoactive constituents, thus enabling them to be classed as a drug type or a fibre type. The present study, which covers cannabis in its fresh, dried and powdered forms, drew on fresh samples, obtained on the day they were harvested or immediately after preparation; that was done in order to prevent any alteration in the A-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) caused by the oxidation that takes place as the product ages. The purpose of this study is to determine the THC level in 245 specimens obtained from 30 cannabis plots in three provinces of northern Morocco: Al Hoceima and Chefchaouen, where cannabis cultivation has a long tradition, and Larache, where cannabis cultivation has started only recently. Qualitative analysis using high performance liquid chromatography with diode array detection revealed the presence of both the acid and the decarboxylated form of the main cannabinoids, cannabidiol, THC and cannabinol, and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry was used for the characterization of minor cannibinoids. Quantitative analysis using gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry made it possible to determine the average delta-9-THC content of cannabis in its fresh form (0.5 per cent), its dry form (2.21 per cent) and its powdered form (8.3 per cent). The results show that the traditional areas of cannabis cultivation--Al Hoceima and Chefchaouen--produce cannabis with a higher delta-9-THC content than the Larache region. In addition, the present study establishes that male plants, often considered deficient in delta-9-THC, contain levels of the same order as those recorded for female plants, both in the leaves and in the tops.

13. The right males drip clear sappy resin globs out of thick stems and leaves. So I can imagine just like the female if you get the sticky one it will have THC regardless of the outer crystals.

Male pollen traveling 5 miles myth: I was told never to grow males, and that it would pollinate every female uncontrollably.

How ever this is far from the truth. Males develop sacks early and no separation is needed as long as you harvest the sacks b4 they open.

Reminder: Plants give off chemicals to communicate. (male/female fermones)

If your outdoor and the females are down wind sure take some precaution but don't ride the "accidental pollinate you neighbors crop" train until you grown out some males and females and tried it yourself.

I found separating the males from the females tedious and unnecessary until the sacks start to bend down like a banana stock.(A sign one might open soon)

14. #14 GoldGrower, Feb 21, 2015

That's exactly my point. Testing plant tissue may well result in trace amounts of thc and this concentration may well be the same in males as females. However, like I said it's the trichomes that contain what gets you high, males cannot compare. For all we know they may have tested while the plants are still vegging.

There is a reason why people have always discarded their male plants, do you honestly think no one has tried them before? 

15. #15 GoldGrower, Feb 21, 2015

You are saying pollen won't travel 5 miles if the male flowers don't open. This is absurd. Pollen that is released in to the air will easily travel 5 miles and a lot further too. Pollen weighs almost nothing and when airborne stays airborne for a very long time. They can ride the wind for many miles very easily

I have grown countless males over the last 20 years and I have never come across one of your described sap dripping males. Nor have I ever heard of this ever in the 20 years I have been growing marijuana. Where on earth did you hear of this elusive male plant? 

16. if the males dont have any thc how come ppl male hash out of them?

17. #17 The_Real_OG_Kush, Feb 21, 2015
    Im speaking from exp. and i save all my males pollen before the sacks open. And i didn't hear about a sappy male...I had one.

18. Pollen can travel all around the world not just 5 miles. If you "release pollen into the air" no bro we use the paint it on with a brush method. It is a lot more conservative on the pollen there is no need to shoot into into the wind lol. Famous breeders talk about sappy males too.

19. #19 The_Real_OG_Kush, Feb 21, 2015
    Some people smoke pollen. I think the Moroccans smoke it. Let me know if u want a youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDT2_MtCJo