Growing in Vermont

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by noodlemuncher56, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first real post. I am a senior in high school, and I am still living with my parents. I live in Vermont, so i was wondering what strain of seeds to buy, or if i should just grow bag seed and hope for the best. Also, I would only be able to visit my plants about every other week, and I was wondering if they need more regular watering etc. would it help if i put my plants near a small stream?
    Thanks

2. Hey noodle

Ive grown a long time. Here is what i would do if i were in your shoes.

I would go out right now, search the countryside for a spot or 2 spots where you can grow a couple of good plants. You will be digging 4 holes, 24"X24"X12"deep and either buying some potting soil to fill them with or ammending your native soil, which may be great. But, the idea is to get out right now or as soon as enviromentally possible, and prepare these 4 grow spots

Then i would order 5 femminized blue widow seeds from Dinafem. Its astrong plant with good yield and potency. It grows to 8' so plan for that.

If you follow these directions and tend to the plants once a week or so, you should harvest at least a couple of lbs of good qualtiy smoke.

Stay small and simple for the first grows. Once you got it down, then imagination and size of the grow can increase.

good luck

3. Thanks for the reply clodhopper. I will definitely look into the Blue widow. How often do you think I will need to visit my plants to water them? That and the frosts that occur sometimes here are my main concerns. I have a location near to me that is good, and near a small stream which I think will hopefully be beneficial in the long run. A pound of weed would be amazing. I'm already stoked to toke up my homegrown bud.

4. ummmmmm........... if you really have been lurking here for a while you should know that getting a pound on your first grow is basically out of the question. Living in new england our season is just barely long enough for the plants to reach maturity. Once mid october hits you need to check your plants very regularly. Leaving them out too long in cold wet conditions will decrease potency and denseness of the bud. If ur parents are unaware of your growing it will be difficult to buy seeds unless you have a different location to send them too.

If ur by a river make sure u are far enough away from the banks if the rivers water level fluctuates. Buying soil, nutes, and seeds can be pretty costly but remember the more u invest the better the bud.

There is no way to say that a plant will grow to a certain height or yeild a certain amount. conditions including amount of sunlight per day, location, soil, nutes, start date, end date, northern vermont verses southern vermont and climate are just some of the factors. Unless your plant is 8' tall and 8' feet wide, the idea of a tall plant is less important than its width and amount of colas. Telling someone they will get a lb on their very first grow is very misleading. You do not know anything about his area and cannot possibly predict this.

Remember Noodle, this is your first time, use this as a year to learn, see what works and see what needs to be adjusted for following years. Even if you only harvest 10 grams, its 10 grams of fresh homegrown bud that you grew yourself. That alone is a win and if you get more than that (which im not saying you won't) then you should pat urself on the back and come back bigger and better the next year! good luck!

5. [quote name='gardener']ummmmmm........... if you really have been lurking here for a while you should know that getting a pound on your first grow is basically out of the question.
    my first grow that got off the ground yielded around 5 pounds off 4 plants.. I don't think that would be an unobtainable number..

6. Thanks everyone for the replies yes, I realize that a lb of weed is a bit much, but this is my fist grow, and and even an ounce would be good if it's quality bud. Maybe since I live in a colder climate with a shorter season should I look into auto flower varieties? I know you will get less bud from them, and but then again I'll be able to harvest at the correct time. I do have a place to ship the seeds, and so that's not a problem.

7. Of course someone can grow large amounts with their first grow. As i stated there are many factors that play a role. Your climate is much much different than that of someone living in northern vermont. Just because you grew 5 pounds doesnt make that possible for everyone in North America. Climate in New England is so much different. for starters you can start around a month earlier and harvest a month later. Do you realize how beneficial an extra 30-60 days safe from frost is? When your plants are finishing strong, plumping up, and finishing on time, our plants are in 35 degree wet weather and developing mold. I was simply trying to help someone from my region be prepared and create a strong plan based on his/her environmental conditions.

8. Maybe I take where I live for granted.. I thought 3 to 5 pounds per plant sounded more reasonable..

9. What part of vt are you from? I live in northern vt up by Canada. I grow a few outside once and a while. The best strain I've found for outside here is Texada time warp or northern lights or skunkberry. You'll want to start them inside as early as possible. If you start them now you could get a pound per with no problem. If you plant them in southern exposure getting sun at least 8-10 hours a day. You'll be on the right track. Dig a big hole bigger roots bigger plant. You can tie the plant down to that would help from being found out about. Good luck with your summer plan. This year I'm planning to try some autos. Well see how they do

10. #10 floyd123, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
    grow indoor