Growing in the trees

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Ben2010, May 24, 2011.

1. Has anyone ever heard of growing in a tree? I live on 10 acres but there are tons of deer. Im thinking 5 gallon bucket towards the top of a tree. Sounds pretty easy.

Am I missing anything??

2. hahaha, sounds pretty crazy man. I live in michigan and there are tons of deer on my property too. Last year when i grew i just put tomato cages around my plants so the deer couldnt get to them. You should try that. It worked out great for me.

3. hang deoderant sticks in socks around your grow area and deers will think a human is nearby and leave it alone. i read that in oldskoolgrowers story once lol

4. hahaa, it sounds reasonable.

5. #5 Ben2010, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    Yeah I was thinking as long as the bucket is camo'd up real well the plant would just look like a shoot growing off of the tree. Plus I love climbing. Im a rock climber by trade lol. Could rig up a little pulley sytem for raising and lowering water.

Edit: the best way would be to notch out the tree so the bucket sits right inside then wrap with some kinda brown cloth. Then it really would look like a shoot growing out the side of the tree

6. Trees, No. The wind would be so massive that it would knock them down. And a pulley system? This idea is horrible, you're better off growing in the ground and risk getting your plants eaten then to do all this tree business.

7. Do you know what a pulley is?

Good point about the wind though. Id just take them down in bad weather though (with the pulley haha) I already thought about that

8. Haha tree growing in trees. I would be more worried about rats and mice eating my crops than deer. So grow indoors man!

9. #10 Motoxridah, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    Yeah there's a bunch of stuff on these forums of successful tree grows. There's a bunch of information on google too. Let me try to find link.

*EDIT Couldn't find it but there was a grow journal of a dude who got a bagseed and grew it on the tree tops and got a huge ass plant and tons of bud. Make sure you can climb the tree and check on the plant.

10. I would just be careful of fly overs most people like to keep their plants from getting to tall due to this i feel like they would stand out being that mj doesnt really resemble alot of tree tops though if other people have done it who knows

11. Hi there, I seen that journal 2 it was kick ass! I really like the idea of getting stoned in a treehouse next to my plants, but Im a fairly large bodied man... and I would have to frame the floor straight down to the ground to make it strong enough to hold me. However, I severely digress. It is entirely possible to grow in trees, but take your time and plan it out its hard enough for some people to do it on the ground so take into account all of the extra complications that being 20-40 feet in the air would add to the equation.
    PS: the cure for deer is fishing line. heavy ass fishing line. wrap it several times at differnt heights around the perimetre trees of your grow spot and you wont have a problem:)

12. Thanks for the info CanadianKid

13. Back when I lived with my parents I stated about 6 plants up on top my old tree house. I grew them to about 12in before I moved them into their spots on the ground. It worked great! I say go for it and keep us posted. Good luck.

14. I just like the idea of nobody stumbling upon the plants.

You can use chicken wire or fishing line or any other kind of barrier to protect the plant but if someone stumbles across it........

I like the tree house idea. If built on private property the chances of someone finding it let alone climbing up into is slim. Plus no pesky animals like deer, rabbits, skunks, oppossumes, I take that back I think oppossumes can climb trees

15. Opossums can climb trees but as long as you don't use bone meal or blood meal they won't bother. They mainly eat grubs from soft dirt. That's why you will find a plant dug up but not eaten. Go to a pawn shop and see if they have a deer stand pretty cheap. It's camouflaged and it makes a very good support. Then you can drill holes in the top of the bucket and tie it down. Winds will never bother it. If you want to grow a lot of plants then you can make some cheap stands from plywood and do several to a tree. Honestly though if you hide it well on the ground it would be a lot less work.

16. I read a book about ten years ago about growing in trees....the guys used long rope to hoist the plants into the trees and then lowered them down to water the pulled then right back up

I actually think he use to grow in very public parks.....

Start a journal

17. yes they can though i dont think a possum would be bothering your plants anyway

18. I think i read about growing in trees using, buckets and rope. Go for it.

19. shit i just read tihspeeds post.