Growing in the ground vs container

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by stckyfngrs, May 24, 2009.

1. I been growing my plants for about a month now indoors under a 400watt mh. They are all about 1 foot tall right now. I'm planning on putting my plants outdoors in there final resting place around June 15th after last frost in my area.

Should I grow using a 6 gallon pot? Or would I get better results if I planted in the ground. Dig a hole that can be filled with 10 gallons of my soil mix?

2. in the ground. it lets the plant grow to full potential because the roots have nothing to stump their growth and will give you the maximum yield

3. Why only 10 gallons??

4. The reason for 10 gallon hole is I only have enough soilmix to fill 15 holes with 10 gallons each and so far it seems like all 15 of my plants are pretty healthy so i'm going to need it all. Im using a mix with promix/wormcastings/extra perlite. I could use some native soil but I didnt know how good it would be cause I dont know if the soil in the area im planting is good. I was originaly planning on putting in 6.2 gallon pots when I put them outside on June 10 - 15 but id like them to grow as big as possible and by the way the plants are growing now I dont think it would take them long to fill out a 6.2 gallon pot and want more room.

5. Well 10 Gallon size is better than 6 Gallons...but if you possibly can grow in as large pots as possible...or in the ground if conditions allow so.
    Personally I grow in 25 Gallon pots.

:)

6. Nearest is a 65 gallon SmartPot - two 40 gallon pots behind.

[​IMG]

7. I'm starting to think that planting in the ground will probably be a better idea for me. Would I need to use a garbage bag or can I just fill in the hole with my soilmix and not worry about it? The 6.3 gallon was the biggest I could find in my area but its not looking that big after seeing those big buckets in that pic. In the pic below is one of my plants in a 6" pot and the 6.3 gallon beside it. Next season i'm defiantly going to invest in some of those smart pots!

Attached Files:

8. In the ground for sure unless you know you're going to have to move them during the grow cycle. Pots/buckets make them easier to spot.