Growing in the fridge.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenstar8, Apr 23, 2003.

1. i have a spare refridgerator in my basement that i've been trying to grow in. i set up my light and my jiffy pots and now about two weeks later i have sprouts that are up to 2 1/2 inches tall. but my question is this. it gets pretty humid in there. there is some condensation all over the walls but the sprouts look healthy so far. ( knock on wood) so i haven't been watering too much because the soil is staying moist. with this kind of set-up is that normal? ( that i wouldn't have to water that frequently due to humidity.)

2. I don't see why it shouldn't be moist like that because refidgerators are air tight.

3. You are going to need some ventilation for when those plants get bigger. The humidity is fine for seedlings but not for full grown plants. The larger plants will also need more CO2. You can either leave the door open a little bit, or put in a ventilation fan. If you know anything about electronics, you could just get into the back of the fridge and hook up the fan to run without the cooling system running. This would move air into the fridge. You could also just use the ducting that is already in place, tear out the cooling unit and hook an exhuast fan up to the duct work. You'll either need an exhuast fan and a separate intake opening or an intake fan and a separate exhaust opening. You get the idea. Hope this helps.

4. i think that the set-up is pretty good. i was just wondering what other people felt about it.

5. jimbo. i thought about the ventalation problem and i've been leaving the door open partially at night to give it some fresh air. do you think that would be acceptable?

6. For now leaving the door open will be fine, but when you get some higher wattage lights and bigger plants, there will be a lot of heat and humidity build up. Plus, even if leaving the door open for a little while keeps the heat down, the plants will only be getting fresh CO2 once a day and that will hurt your yield. When the plants are bigger you will either have to leave the door open all the time, or get some kind of constant ventilation going.