Growing in the desert

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TurtlePS, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Okay, sorry if this is a repeat post, but I had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to by searching the forum. Anyways, I live in the sonoran desert, and I was wondering if weed would grow here. Its super dry and always hot, and usually 75-80 in winter. I know for a fact its to hot in the summer at 110. I have to grow outdoors. Also, I'm broke so could I just pick out the seeds from the sacks I buy and plant them? Sorry if I sound like a noob, but I am lol.

2. yes i believe. you need them to get at least 12 hours of light during the day. plant that bag seed some of them can be chrooonic!!! i grew some hella dank amazing bagseed be4. not all of them will be but you can tell within the firs t few weeks of bloom which plants will be beautiful producers. outdoor growing however has many challenges you must research it plenty and know how to plan ahead for the variety of issues you might encounter. only sure shot way to kill your plants is to stop watering, though. hope that answers it.

3. Yea, pretty much answered everything I wanted to know. Thank you!

4. What r ur nite time temps

5. You won't be able to grow outdoors in the Winter, too cold at night and too little sunlight. Beyond that, the plant reacts to the changing daylight hours to trigger flowering, so you can't do a Spring grow and have it finish before summer.

Having said all that, it might grow over the summer if you keep it watered. MJ likes the soil to dry out a bit between waterings, I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

6. In the summer.... about 85-90. Winter it all depends, but usually in the 40's.

7. Here's some info on growing in the desert...

Below is what I do for my soil grow during our hot summer months in the southwestern desert. I have never grown hydro, so am unable to verify any of this for anything other than soil grows.
    My flowershed is an outdoor shed approx 8' x 12' x 8' tall, of which a quarter if it is for growing. (no, it's not a metal shed)

In my humble (sometimes) opinion, "must keep temps below 80" is a guideline, especially appropriate for beginners.
    -However-
    Being anal about it is truly unnecessary. Ambient temps inside my outdoor growshed (2 x 400w HPS's) often reach the low 100's. This is including having the window A/C unit on 'high'.
    Does it slow the growth...? Yes, a tad. Delays harvest about a week or so. However the yield is there and the quality is there.

First technique I learned
    ...quit hanging the thermometer by the canopy top. Was too depressing and stressful. All of my temps listed are ambient room temp, taken from the side of the grow, about 5' off the ground. I use the 'back of the hand' method of determining canopy temps. If it's not too hot for me after a minute or so, they'll be fine. (change hands often when doing this, or go around with one hand tanned, one hand not tanned)

Window A/C units.
    When using a crappy window unit A/C, and it's real hot...open a vent or window, just a crack. (the higher the vent, the better) Trapped, heated air doesn't cool very well.

Never overfeed when hot.
    ...don't feed full-strength nutes all at once. Split it up into a couple of 'light' feedings equaling the same nute intake per week as recommended by manufacturer. Example...Instead of giving once-weekly nutes at 2 tsp per gallon, give 2 feedings at 1 tsp per gallon. (I give mine on mondays and thursdays) On the other days, I add either plain ph'd water, or micronutes, per my schedule. (Fox Farms) The strongest additive I put in the potting soil prior to use is worm castings and michorrizae fungi. I steer-clear of manures. (not so during the winter months)

Never spray with the lights on. Each drop of water sitting on the leaf acts just like a magnifying glass, and it will burn the leaf tissue. Flowering ladies prefer the lower humidity anyway. Spraying will also increase possibility of mold. You'd be amazed how long a drop of water can remain sandwiched between two leaves. Be careful watering on hot-muggy days, as it will increase your humidity levels, which can also increase chances of mold.

Ditch the intake fans unless it's hooked-up to an A/c unit.
    You can add all the intake fans you want to add, and they will never work like having a strong exhaust, placed high to remove nothing but the hot air and cannabis scent. The suction caused by having the exhaust on, pulls-in the exact same quantity of air that's going out. (physics - nature abhors a vacuum)

Stagnant air traps heat and provides no fresh oxygen or CO2.
    I usually have two dedicated 'oscillating budfans' which I keep on 24/7. One on either corner of the front of the grow. Both are pointing at a slight up-angle, but one is only for the space between lamp and canopy, the other blows 'thru' the plants, providing fresh air to soil, and removing any stagnant heat. Obstructions (unnecessary shit in the room) can and will trap heat.

Lamps and plexiglass.
    I don't have a cool tube set-up, but when it's just too hot at canopy top, I do hang a 3/8" plexiglass sheet horizontally above the ladies, (just below the lights) to block the direct heat from the lamp.

If nothing else works to keep the temps within 110, I break-down and raise the lights a bit. If it's still over 115, I'll shut the HID's off, and turn on some 23w CFL'S (soft white) to keep the light schedule on target. I don't know if this is a benefit, but it makes me feel better.

8. Like your question, We're not quite that far west but around here it's starting to feel like the Sonoran heat wise. Course we got humidity and all these damm mt. cedars. Always wanted to have a ganja farm in the Davis Mts. I started some bag seed in 5 gal buckets the end of June, so far all the kids are doing fine. 100 + every day since planting. They do look a little tired end of the day tho. so I put a little water on them at bed time and they look strong and happy the next morning .It is getting late to plant outdoors tho.

peace

9. Well being that Afghanistan and Pakistan where many strains originate from is like nuclear flame thrower mode year round and it grows just fine there I would say you would be fine..as long as you keep it watered.